Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
ChillaxAttack
Tame Racing Driver

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
A/C Belt Wheel

I've been hearing a slight but noticeable chirp/whine when I accelerate. It's most noticeable at 3000-4000 rpm but can be heard with the hood open at idle. Decided to take a look and noticed the A/C belt wheel wasn't spinning. Is this normal? I assumed there was a clutch to allow the wheel to spin even when the A/C is off.

Also, has anyone else had this same chirping noise?
ChillaxAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Tennis_pro

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillaxAttack View Post
I've been hearing a slight but noticeable chirp/whine when I accelerate. It's most noticeable at 3000-4000 rpm but can be heard with the hood open at idle. Decided to take a look and noticed the A/C belt wheel wasn't spinning. Is this normal? I assumed there was a clutch to allow the wheel to spin even when the A/C is off.

Also, has anyone else had this same chirping noise?
The belt is on the AC compressor pulley but the pulley isn't spinning? Unless we have some different setup for some reason, the pulley is always suppose to spin but only activate when the clutch engages. Do you have AC if you turn it on? If the pulley isn't spinning and it's suppose to, then the compressor wouldn't work and you wouldn't have AC.

Did you take a look at the belt and take sure it is on properly? Perhaps it's a bad bearing or pulley and the noise you hear it the friction of the belt against the pulley that's not spinning.
Tennis_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
ChillaxAttack
Tame Racing Driver

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
So the pulley doesn't spin when the compressor is off, but will spin up when it's on. Turning the AC on results in an audible pop when the compressor starts up and the pulley spins, but when the compressor shuts back off the pulley stops. The belt appears to be on properly and not excessively worn, but I haven't had a chance to really look at it because of all the rain we've been getting.

This is for the LFX btw. Going to give the dealer a call tomorrow and see if they can tell me anything.
ChillaxAttack is offline   Reply With Quote