Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #127
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Ehhh, I dont know......The ring has alot of long sweeping turns and straights that would make it more of a GT500 type of track.
LOL....says the guy with a Ford.

__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #128
newmoon

 
newmoon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I just want to see a ring time from a 13 GT500 on a good day.
Didn't Ford have a couple of 13-500s at the ring about 6-8 months ago, for a few days. I don't think the results were ever released. Maybe the times were not that good? You would have thought if the cars were stock and broke the ZL1s times it would have been posted everywhere.
__________________
Presently Car-Less
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #129
Deki

 
Deki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Didn't Ford have a couple of 13-500s at the ring about 6-8 months ago, for a few days. I don't think the results were ever released. Maybe the times were not that good? You would have thought if the cars were stock and broke the ZL1s times it would have been posted everywhere.
They did have have them on there but they never had a track rented like GM did. They ran the cars with all the traffic on there.
__________________
2011 GT Premium//Performance White...a little modded
Deki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #130
b4z

 
Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,344
Put GM engineer Aaron link or corvette racer, Johnny o'connell in the 1le and you would see crazy low times at VIR.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #131
b4z

 
Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Ehhh, I dont know......The ring has alot of long sweeping turns and straights that would make it more of a GT500 type of track.
But the brakes wouldn't hold up.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #132
RedZL1
 
Drives: Victory Red ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fairless Hills PA
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
Put GM engineer Aaron link or corvette racer, Johnny o'connell in the 1le and you would see crazy low times at VIR.
Aaron turned a sub 3 min lap in the 1lE earlier this year at VIR..


RedZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #133
newmoon

 
newmoon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
They did have have them on there but they never had a track rented like GM did. They ran the cars with all the traffic on there.
With all of Ford's resources they could not secure sufficient time to run a similar lap in the configuration to what Chevy ran, sorry I don't buy it. You spend how much money to get your vehicles there for testing knowing full well what the ZL1 had already run and you could not negotiate an open track for for a small amount of time beforehand.

All this really doesn't matter, as just about every publication has stated the ZL1 is a better track car, and much easier to drive given it's advanced suspension. The 500 is an incredible 1/4 mile and roll race terror, which is what many who drive Mustangs want. Nothing wrong with either car.
__________________
Presently Car-Less
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #134
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Not to take anything away from any of the cars but does anyone know which cars were tested on the same day? A lot of speculation about the gt500 having to run on a damp course while the camaro's ran on a dry track.
Wow, wonder where that would have been started???
Were there not multiple runs over a period of days?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #135
Mgizzle

 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 993
All cars ran over two days. The faster laptimes are on the second day, hence the mention of why the Focus ST could've done better because the laptime was from the first day and they couldn't run it the second day (forgot key fob on roof, fell during racing, broke into pieces).

Anyhow, there are many track tests between the shelby and zl1 and we know the zl1 is superior on the track, hence hard to doubt the LL7 lap times.
__________________
I work for General Motors and am not an official spokes person for General Motors. My views and opinions are my own and not those of General Motors.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #136
gearhead08
 
gearhead08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 gt500
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: destin fl
Posts: 177
I don't even know why there are debates going on still about which one is a better track car stock. The GT500 is a quarter mile monster, Where as the ZL1 will out corner and out handle the GT500 ridiculously well hence the better times running around a track. Also the ZL1 isn't far behind the GT500 in the quarter mile either, people are breaking into the 11's pretty easily with good weather now.
gearhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #137
Deki

 
Deki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead08 View Post
I don't even know why there are debates going on still about which one is a better track car stock. The GT500 is a quarter mile monster, Where as the ZL1 will out corner and out handle the GT500 ridiculously well hence the better times running around a track. Also the ZL1 isn't far behind the GT500 in the quarter mile either, people are breaking into the 11's pretty easily with good weather now.
I agree. MR3, irs, plus much better contact patch definitely gives the ZL1 a win on most road courses.
__________________
2011 GT Premium//Performance White...a little modded
Deki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #138
DarkneSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 3,715
Impressive times! As a Camaro fan I'm glad the Camaros beat the Mustangs. But the GT500s 3:00 is still FAST and beat up all those other cars too! That makes both cars incredible value for the money. To be honest here, considering that the 500 may not be as fast around the track as the ZL1, but still faster than all those other vehicles, it is still imo the best performance car for the money you can buy. It beats all those other cars except the ZL1 but when it hits a straight line it dominates. Zl1 is no doubt the better daily but the 500 in strictly performance terms is the better buy.

Now imagine what the future versions of these cars are going to do with the lighter platforms. I mean dude the Boxster S is pretty much a full on sports car and its losing to heavy trucks with car bodies lmao.

5 years ago I would have laughed at people if they thought a Mustang or Camaro could touch a Boxster S around a track.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #139
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
To be honest here, considering that the 500 may not be as fast around the track as the ZL1, but still faster than all those other vehicles, it is still imo the best performance car for the money you can buy. It beats all those other cars except the ZL1 but when it hits a straight line it dominates. Zl1 is no doubt the better daily but the 500 in strictly performance terms is the better buy.
I will have to respectfully disagree, the 500 is only good at one venue (straight line) . Stock for stock, the 500 was beat in this venue even with all it's track pack OPTIONS, so I see the ZL1 as being the better dollar value.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #140
mkorgan

 
Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2015 Z/28, 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sanford, Fl
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I will have to respectfully disagree, the 500 is only good at one venue (straight line) . Stock for stock, the 500 was beat in this venue even with all it's track pack OPTIONS, so I see the ZL1 as being the better dollar value.
I concur. Both great cars I just don't see the case for the 500 being a better value.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.