Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #290
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Where did a GT500 without a cage, race seats and a factory driver put down a time oc 2:58?!?! Also, did u compare that to GMs ZL1 lap at VRI? Again, the shift in laptimes is in the zl1 advantage.

By the way, that FORD engine in my mind is not that great. Compare size and weight to GM motor and u will see why. Good luck making a smaller mustang fit that motor and move weight to the rear.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #291
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Already edited my post to minute not second. A sub 3 second lap is BLAZING!!!!

But my point is that road course times will vary ALOT.....Especially with cars as close as the ZL1 and GT500 are. I have always said that I give the edge to the ZL1 but the GT500 is right there with it because of the power. A 2:58 minute time on the old 2011 GT500 just proves my point.
Or it could prove that power isn't everything, and sometimes less is more ...
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #292
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Where did a GT500 without a cage, race seats and a factory driver put down a time oc 2:58?!?! Also, did u compare that to GMs ZL1 lap at VRI? Again, the shift in laptimes is in the zl1 advantage.

By the way, that FORD engine in my mind is not that great. Compare size and weight to GM motor and u will see why. Good luck making a smaller mustang fit that motor and move weight to the rear.
1. http://youtu.be/aR7PIZhFUdc

2. The 5.8L is not going in the next gen Mustang, many have stated its being phased out all together and seeing as its a 10+ year old engine design, rightfully so.

Just saying...

Also I don't think the ZL1 is a POS or the Camaro as a Whole (Considering I Own a 2010 SS). I had my reasons for getting a GT500 instead of a ZL1 and they are my business and mine alone but I can tell you I certainly didn't buy a nearly 2 ton car for its handling ability...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #293
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
1. http://youtu.be/aR7PIZhFUdc

2. The 5.8L is not going in the next gen Mustang, many have stated its being phased out all together and seeing as its a 10+ year old engine design, rightfully so.

Just saying...

Also I don't think the ZL1 is a POS or the Camaro as a Whole (Considering I Own a 2010 SS). I had my reasons for getting a GT500 instead of a ZL1 and they are my business and mine alone but I can tell you I certainly didn't buy a nearly 2 ton car for its handling ability...
This wasn't an everyday driver, this was an SVT engineer. Camaro engineer did 2:52 at VIR. As for the lighting lap, it was same day same driver - so the 2011 time is moot
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #294
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
This wasn't an everyday driver, this was an SVT engineer. Camaro engineer did 2:52 at VIR. As for the lighting lap, it was same day same driver - so the 2011 time is moot
I miss read that part lol
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #295
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Yep, the 1le did a 2:58 with the gm engineer driving.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #296
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: 2016 Z06?
Quote:
Not arguing with you by any means, but anything you can do to a ZL1 you can do to a GT500 and more (engine wise) once you mod it all goes out the window.
In my opinion when comparing modded cars you have to use total $$$$$ spent as a base.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #297
jroc7

Drives: *
What's really impressive is how the Camaro's (even the 1LE) faired against the Jag and the LFA. Considering the cost of those cars, I wouldn't want to be the guy who just bought one and then read these results. Think about it, a car you could drive everyday, that will beat a XKR-S, 911-S, and a M6, for less than $60K. I need a raise so I can get one!
jroc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #298
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc7 View Post
What's really impressive is how the Camaro's (even the 1LE) faired against the Jag and the LFA. Considering the cost of those cars, I wouldn't want to be the guy who just bought one and then read these results. Think about it, a car you could drive everyday, that will beat a XKR-S, 911-S, and a M6, for less than $60K. I need a raise so I can get one!
Agreed, if I was going to buy a Camaro that was built for the track it would be the 1LE. If they put an LS7 in it you can pretty much bet they will get times that beat or at least keep up to the ZL1. My guess is beat though…..
Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #299
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/co...gt_track_pack/

This was posted elsewhere, but I thought I would add fuel to the fire.
What surprised me the most was how close the two were in acceleration.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #300
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Agreed, if I was going to buy a Camaro that was built for the track it would be the 1LE. If they put an LS7 in it you can pretty much bet they will get times that beat or at least keep up to the ZL1. My guess is beat though…..
If that's the case there are going to be some PO'd ZL1 owners. It may be acceptable if the car cost more than a ZL1 but that would make it a 70K Camaro!
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #301
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Now that I think about it even more that's like a Z06 outpacing a ZR1. I don't think that would be a smart business decision by Chevrolet. ZL1 sales would plummet unless an LS7 equipped SS had more to it than just the engine and it would have to cost more than a ZL1.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #302
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Now that I think about it even more that's like a Z06 outpacing a ZR1. I don't think that would be a smart business decision by Chevrolet. ZL1 sales would plummet unless an LS7 equipped SS had more to it than just the engine and it would have to cost more than a ZL1.
I'm willing to bet that on the right track a Z06 could/would out pace a ZR1. After all it has a heat soaking supercharger. And they're not too far from each other in terms of performance.

Last edited by The IOM Ninja; 01-02-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #303
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
I'm willing to bet that on the right track a Z06 could/would out pace a ZR1. After all it has a heat soaking supercharger. And they're not too far from each other in terms of performance.
only with the carbon or Z07 would that be remotely possible.

the Zr1 is more car than the stock base Z06 by leaps and bounds. The Z07 on paper seems to really work but i have not been in one or driven one.

I would love to see what a 1le with a LS7 would do. I still think the ZL1 is is a better looking car. if they build it cheap it will piss some people off for sure though. if it is 55k as well though I could care less.
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #304
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Not arguing with you by any means, but anything you can do to a ZL1 you can do to a GT500 and more (engine wise) once you mod it all goes out the window.
Correct, but the GT500 comparably equipped is about $5k more than the ZL1. All you need is $2k (H/X, pulley, CAI) and you would have more power than the GT500 and would still have cost $3k less than the GT500. A ZL1 with 680hp would annilhate the GT500 on a road course (already does with 580hp as indicated by the 3 second stomp at VIR), still be more comfortable to drive, still have an awesome PTM system and one of the most advanced suspension systems out there, and would likely outrun the GT500 in the 1/4, all while costing $3k less.

I love the GT500 and think its pretty damn impressive what they have done with that motor and a live axle. However, the cost ($$) have to be considered when comparing vehicles. My point, when comparing the ZL1 and GT500, for the money, the ZL1 is hands down the better purchase as far as performance. Not sure how that can be argued, but I guess there are those narrow minded ones that just cannot rationally think about it?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #305
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

The biggest reason for N/A is you don't end up with a heat soaked super charger pulling timing and killing power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackka View Post
A little off-topic on my part, but out of curiosity, does being naturally aspirated and high-revving actually provide a performance advantage compared to forced induction counterparts of equivalent specs or is it just the sound and feel of the engine that adds to the thrill?
Crim got it spot on ^, plus, the added power up to the rev limiter. But the biggest reason is, I just prefer natural things. It's like implants, they look nice but I just love the natural feeling of it.

Ooops...got carried away for a bit.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #306
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/co...gt_track_pack/

This was posted elsewhere, but I thought I would add fuel to the fire.
What surprised me the most was how close the two were in acceleration.
What's interesting also, in the photos they showed comparisons of the interior, exterior and engine. But they only showed Randy giving a thumbs up while sitting the Camaro. Where's the reaction in the Mustang?

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote