Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #176
doc7000
 
Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lomita,CA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I also think it's an age thing. The younger guys seem to lean more towards the 500 for straight line speed, while the older guys prefer the twist and turns. For most older guys we have been there done that in straight lines and now it's time to move onto something different, that has more of a challenge for us.
I am young and I prefer corners to straight lines, I think it has to do with geography and the local culture. The people who I know who live in the mid west are all about straight line speed, here in so cal we have a lot of curvy roads to drive on in the mountains.

This has been one reason why import brands made so many inroads into the west coast and now certain Domestic models are doing much better here. Now you can buy two models of Camaro that handle really well and all of the Corvettes handle really well. Not to mention the CTS V series line up (we have a lot of them here where I live).

It comes down to if the domestics want to start making inroads in the west coast at least when it comes to performance cars they have to make them go around corners.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #177
doc7000
 
Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lomita,CA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010redcamaro View Post
no no its not you its other people in here i just qouted you. i dont have a chip its just that before the zl1's 1/4 time this site use to be all about dragstrips. the motorcross section would always have a couple people in it where the drap racing would have double if not triple the amount of people. Now that its out everybody has turned into road kings
I do not know why on a thread about a road track you want to complain that no one is talking about the drag strip.....
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #178
ZL1ster
 
ZL1ster's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ZL1 IOM M6
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South Carolina Swamps Yawl
Posts: 135
...hey look, an 'Apple' thread.

LET's talk about 'Oranges'...
ZL1ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #179
2010redcamaro
 
2010redcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: spfld
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
I do not know why on a thread about a road track you want to complain that no one is talking about the drag strip.....
your missing the point
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #180
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1ster View Post
...hey look, an 'Apple' thread.

LET's talk about 'Oranges'...

LOL ... It always seems to work out that way !!!
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #181
2010redcamaro
 
2010redcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: spfld
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1ster View Post
...hey look, an 'Apple' thread.

LET's talk about 'Oranges'...
i was just reading the thread and someone said the camaro is the best bang for your buck i simply stated how i felt it isnt thats all
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #182
ZL1ster
 
ZL1ster's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ZL1 IOM M6
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South Carolina Swamps Yawl
Posts: 135
...it's all good .

We drive AMERICAN Muscle!

We're bro's...
ZL1ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #183
2010redcamaro
 
2010redcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: spfld
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1ster View Post
...it's all good .

We drive AMERICAN Muscle!

We're bro's...
i have a gtr a jeep srt8 and a v6 camaro that im selling sooo cousins
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #184
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee
 
SRT8Tech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville FL.
Posts: 711
I gotta give credit to the ZL1. Making an over 4000 pound car do what its dong takes alot. Will the ZL1 out handle the GT500?? I say yes, that it depends on the track and driver. The ZL1 will be more easy to drive but I dont think its going to kill a GT500 on every track or even beat the GT500 on every track. Throw more laps in there and I bet the ZL1 will heat soak MUCH faster than the GT500. But I still give the edge to the ZL1 on road courses.

Now the 1LE and Boss. Thats a whole different story. The 1LE beat the Boss time on a dry track on a different day with no traffic compared to the Boss's time on a damp track with traffic. Just sayn.......Also im not biased. I could care less if its a Ford Dodge or Chevy......Ive had all and alot of each!!!!
__________________
2007 Procharged SRT8 Charger..........SOLD
2010 Mopar 10 Challenger.................SOLD
2010 R/T Classic Challenger...............SOLD
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD


Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #185
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Michael, MN
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
What I dont get is all of the sudden a road course time is what matters the most. As far back as I can remember, 1/4 mile times were what was talked about. Now, 1/4 mile times are "not all the car is about"??? Hmmmmmm. I love the ZL1 and all but sounds kind of fishy to me. Why is this big push for road course times out all of the sudden when it never even came to mind not to long ago.
Personally, I could give a rats ass about a road course time.

I can just hear it now......."he buddy, I bet I can take that offramp faster than you!!!!!" OR, "Ill race you around that corner for pinks!!!"
LOL. It's already happening. The ZL1 has a G meter in the HUD so now we can post our best lateral acceleration G's. I've been a hard core drag racer my adult whole life and consider it the bench mark of performance racing; especially when it comes to American Muscle cars. I can't wait to take my ZL1 to the track this Spring. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
That's because it's finally becoming more popular in the U.S. ...
This is definitely true when it comes to road racing. I also can't wait to take this car on a road course as well. I've always hesitated because my previous car was set up for drag racing, but this should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Once more it all comes down to what you want in a car, if you are only looking at drag racing then yes $60,000 for a 12 second car isn't the best bang for your buck.

From another perspective while $60,000 and getting close to the 3 minute barrier is very impressive. $55,000 and breaking the 3 minute barrier is just so much more impressive, also much better bang for your buck.
A lot of the detractors in this thread would say otherwise; but this sums it up the best. The ZL1 is a true dual purpose track and street car with a warranty to back it up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Slingshot gave a perfect answer and you pretty much blew it off to scarcasm. We've had 1/4 mile thread after 1/4 mile thread and the 13 GT500 is .5 seconds faster on the drag strip if not more than the ZL1... You will not ever see a stock GT500 lose to a stock ZL1 on the drag strip unless the driver is horrible or they redlight. Pretty much done and over so why do we want to continue to beat that horse on a Camaro site.

Now this thread is a road track time so folks are in here to talk about it. The big deal is with the weight/HP difference the GT500 should be walking all over the ZL1 on the roadtrack as well. It's not happening which is a testament to the ZL1. It's going to take time for the Ford guys to reel in the raw power of the GT500 and learn to drive it. I'm quite sure with time their lap times will decrease at a faster rate than the ZL1.
Well said. Just the facts please.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #186
doc7000
 
Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lomita,CA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010redcamaro View Post
i was just reading the thread and someone said the camaro is the best bang for your buck i simply stated how i felt it isnt thats all
I don't think that anyone has an issue with your opinion that you prefer drag racing to road racing, or that you would rather have the GT500 over the ZL1.

I want is a matter of opinion, when you start to say that one thing is a better bang for your buck then another it is safer to have a qualifier. Such as the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car because its faster at the drag strip. That is an opinion, when you state that the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car because it is so much faster at the drag strip it comes off as a matter of fact. When in reality there are plenty of people who disagrees with you, also because these two cars excel at different things its possible that the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car then the ZL1 for you but the other way for other people.

You also throw it out there that suddenly people have become track fans because it is is what ZL1 and 1LE is really good at. I can give a counter argument that people are increasingly enjoying road racing and that those who like drag racing may even be down. This would also have the desired result of turning drag strip people into road racing people. You also have to understand that the gen 4 Camaro's while not the worst handling cars in the world this isn't something that it excelled at. Its like a kid who gets a new toy and starts to play with it, they find out that this toy can also do X, Y, and Z and now have more interest in it because of it.

With that said, my uncle loved drag racing and when he was younger had a 1969 SS 396 Camaro which ran a best time of 12.10 at the drag strip. He passed this love for drag racing on to his son, I have had no interest at all in drag racing. If you think I need historical context for why I like Camaro's then look at the old Z28 Camaro's and their performance in Trans Am racing something with lots of turns.

As far as others "jumping" onto the road racing band wagon that you have insinuated I can not speak for others. though is it possible that those people talk drag racing in drag racing threads and road racing in road racing threads and that they actually liked both all along?.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #187
beany323

 
beany323's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern Cali.
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
. The fact the GT500 can barely beat a $37k car with 200 less horsepower speaks volumes. There are about a million mods you can do to a LS3 to make a Camaro do the 1/4 faster then a GT500...


this make me feel .. fuzzy.
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #188
2010redcamaro
 
2010redcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: spfld
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
I don't think that anyone has an issue with your opinion that you prefer drag racing to road racing, or that you would rather have the GT500 over the ZL1.

I want is a matter of opinion, when you start to say that one thing is a better bang for your buck then another it is safer to have a qualifier. Such as the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car because its faster at the drag strip. That is an opinion, when you state that the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car because it is so much faster at the drag strip it comes off as a matter of fact. When in reality there are plenty of people who disagrees with you, also because these two cars excel at different things its possible that the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car then the ZL1 for you but the other way for other people.

You also throw it out there that suddenly people have become track fans because it is is what ZL1 and 1LE is really good at. I can give a counter argument that people are increasingly enjoying road racing and that those who like drag racing may even be down. This would also have the desired result of turning drag strip people into road racing people. You also have to understand that the gen 4 Camaro's while not the worst handling cars in the world this isn't something that it excelled at. Its like a kid who gets a new toy and starts to play with it, they find out that this toy can also do X, Y, and Z and now have more interest in it because of it.

With that said, my uncle loved drag racing and when he was younger had a 1969 SS 396 Camaro which ran a best time of 12.10 at the drag strip. He passed this love for drag racing on to his son, I have had no interest at all in drag racing. If you think I need historical context for why I like Camaro's then look at the old Z28 Camaro's and their performance in Trans Am racing something with lots of turns.

As far as others "jumping" onto the road racing band wagon that you have insinuated I can not speak for others. though is it possible that those people talk drag racing in drag racing threads and road racing in road racing threads and that they actually liked both all along?.
I never said the 500 was a better bang for your buck I just said the camaro at 60k isn't
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #189
2010redcamaro
 
2010redcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: spfld
Posts: 157
I was simply expressing my opinion I thought this was anerica
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #190
GearBangr
 
Drives: 97Z,02TA
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
I gotta give credit to the ZL1. Making an over 4000 pound car do what its dong takes alot. Will the ZL1 out handle the GT500?? I say yes, that it depends on the track and driver. The ZL1 will be more easy to drive but I dont think its going to kill a GT500 on every track or even beat the GT500 on every track. Throw more laps in there and I bet the ZL1 will heat soak MUCH faster than the GT500. But I still give the edge to the ZL1 on road courses.

Now the 1LE and Boss. Thats a whole different story. The 1LE beat the Boss time on a dry track on a different day with no traffic compared to the Boss's time on a damp track with traffic. Just sayn.......Also im not biased. I could care less if its a Ford Dodge or Chevy......Ive had all and alot of each!!!!
Here's another comparison.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mob...-camaro-ss-1le
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #191
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
It is not hard to comprehend why 1/4 times and straight line performance matter so much to people. 99% of drivers and even enthusiasts will do most of their racing in a straight line whether it be legally at a track or from stop light to stop light.
It is hard on the car, but nowhere near as hard as running hard laps around a track. Not to mention most people do not have the skill to get a car around a track quickly. 1/4 racing is significantly easier.
I am a huge enthusiast myself and my personal cars have only ever seen the drag strip, more times than I can count. I'd love to go to a nice course but my Camaro is my daily and running a daily hard around a track just isn't a good idea. When I can eventually afford a home and a second car then I'll give it a go, for now its high speed go karts.
Additionally 1/4 times are widely recognized and easily understood. There are countless tracks out there and they are all so different. Someone on the other side of the country will likely not have any idea what a good time is at your local course. They would however understand 1/4 times.

So hopefully now you realize how important 1/4 times are and why people care.

For those who responded to me, the above shows why the 500 is a great performer. Most people care about 1/4 times and it just plain trashes the ZL1 and pretty much every other car out there for the money. The ZL1 obviously handles better but most people are never going to a course track.

Just think if the cars were opposite and the ZL1 put up the 500 times while the 500 was a bit quicker around a track? I guarantee I'd see people saying, "Who cares that your car is faster around some random track, you'll still enjoy my tail lights when I see you out." Just saying...

The 500 being the better performance car for the cash doesn't take away from the ZL1 also being a great performer for the cash. I'd still get the ZL1 over it anyway because it is the better daily.

/rant /imdone
That's where I disagree, for the money the GT500 is not the better performer/buy. It is substantially slower around a road course, not as comfortable for DD, less sophisticated technology, and still cost $5k more. Put that $5k into the ZL1 (will get you over 100rwhp with proper cooling) now we have two cars with same $$ in them, the GT500 has no chance. The ZL1 is better in many areas and the better all around performer for the $$. The GT500 only does one thing better, the 1/4, and that at a $5k surplus to the ZL1 price. Takes $20k to make a nova run low 11's, does that make it a better performance car for the $$??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
Hmm, think you're not understanding my point...its easy to make a car go fast in a straight line, just takes some money.
Making it endure Nurburgring at 7.40 takes skill and engineering...and lots of it. The fact the GT500 can barely beat a $37k car with 200 less horsepower speaks volumes. There are about a million mods you can do to a LS3 to make a Camaro do the 1/4 faster then a GT500...

As far as egotistical people who are busy living life "a quarter mile at a time"...just don't have time for those kind of people...
I don't race on public roads and anytime anybody wants to challenge me, I say "sure, lets go to the track"...they usually decline...they usually lack the skill and are worried about their "superior" cars breaking...

Guess you can look at it another way...Cars can accelerate, decelerate, turn left, turn right and endure....seems kind of ridiculous to declare your car superior against a car that can do ALL of those well, because you can do a quarter mile .3 of a second faster, yet suck at everything else
Exactly, ALL high end performance cars are benchmarked to their track capabilities and ring times due to the level of engineering and performance capabilities of the car. We are in a new era, the reason the old American muscle cars only cared about 1/4 was because old American cars were not capable of producing a car that could handle worth a damn. Now tech has been introduced and things are changing.
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #192
silverds
2013 ZL1 #844
 
silverds's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CAMARO ZL1 #844
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 528
The GT500 is a U.S. Heavyweight Champion boxer, and the ZL1 is a International Heavyweight MMA rookie.

The Boxer is the undisputed "king of the hill" of an antiquated breed; The stand up and duke it out, blow for blow brute, who either excels at pummeling opponents in legitimate sanctioned matches or illegally busting noses and jaws on the street.

The MMA fighter is the shockingly effective rookie who has surprised everyone by either upsetting the reigning champions or at least eliminating any measurable dominance they may have had in multiple disciplines.

The GT500 is the undisputed king of the dragstrip for a factory car under $65,000 and has been so for many years. It is also respectfully competitive on a road course. As a grand tourer it is rationalized as an acceptable option even though it is still measurably inferior to other competitors in that regard. But don't tell it that cause it will eagerly try to prove that every road is a dragstrip.

The ZL1 available in fully competitive form for under $60,000, is the multi-disciplined young international rookie of the year. In its first year it has either upset the champions or virtually eliminated their measurable dominance in whatever contest it has entered. It's been compared to and even out raced Audi's RSs, BMW's Ms, Mercedes' AMGs and Porsche's 911s. It has even called into question the dominance of Ferraris, Jaguars, Nissan's GTR and the rediculously over valued Lexus LFA. Both Ferrari and Audi are paying undoubtedly huge somes of money to borrow its technology (MRC). All the while, being a very respectable grand tourer and daily driver with room for 4 and some cargo.

Oh and on a dark and lonely street, it doesn't care about of a few tenth's or a few pounds disadvantage to the old local brute who feels the need to prove something to itself that it can't seem to prove anywhere else but on a lonely street or a dragstrip. That it's still the king...of an antiquated breed.
__________________

Last edited by silverds; 01-01-2013 at 01:39 PM.
silverds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #193
DarkneSS


 
DarkneSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
That's where I disagree, for the money the GT500 is not the better performer/buy. It is substantially slower around a road course, not as comfortable for DD, less sophisticated technology, and still cost $5k more. Put that $5k into the ZL1 (will get you over 100rwhp with proper cooling) now we have two cars with same $$ in them, the GT500 has no chance. The ZL1 is better in many areas and the better all around performer for the $$. The GT500 only does one thing better, the 1/4, and that at a $5k surplus to the ZL1 price. Takes $20k to make a nova run low 11's, does that make it a better performance car for the $$??
2 seconds may be slower but calling that substantial is a bit of a stretch imo. Especially considering at 3:00.6 it still beat out most of the other exotics on the list. You have to acknowledge that 3:00 is still very fast. All I'm saying is you get a 1/4 monster AND a car that gets around the track FAST.
__________________
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #194
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee
 
SRT8Tech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville FL.
Posts: 711
Didnt the GT500 beat the ZL1 around a road course a few months ago??? I gotta go find that pic......
__________________
2007 Procharged SRT8 Charger..........SOLD
2010 Mopar 10 Challenger.................SOLD
2010 R/T Classic Challenger...............SOLD
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD


Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #195
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Where in the hell did you come from with that comment? Did I infer anything of the like? I simply made a VALUE (performance for the buck) statement and reference the article mentioned the performance of the ZL1 could have even been better. Happy New Year and read the entire thread (just a few post early we were discussing the best performance value) before making a comment that has no fundamental basis.
And regarding his comment of the 99% of LFA owners...you can bet anyone with that kinda cash has an ego to go with it.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #196
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Didnt the GT500 beat the ZL1 around a road course a few months ago??? I gotta go find that pic......

I don't trust magazines as the final word. Their business is to sell magazines first I ask with hardcopy publications is do both manufacturers pay for advertisement in those magazines? As far as the numbers, the Mustang will of course win a drag race. I don't drag race, low ET low IQ as they say. I bet you a paycheck that the road race track times are driver related. I still like the Mustangs and I owned one but they still drive terribly in the rain because of that damn live axle from the sixties.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #197
Deki

 
Deki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
Really? why not list those out for me and we'll review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Oh please name half the tracks the 500 beat the Z on ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
It is substantially slower around a road course, not as comfortable for DD, less sophisticated technology, and still cost $5k more.
Laguna Seca and Streets of Willow the GT500 was faster. Tied on Grattan Raceway. ZL1 faster on Gingerman and VIR. I don't know how anyone can call the ZL1 substantially faster in anything...And less sophisticated technology? Suspension or engine? Because last time I checked a pushrod V8 is not the most advanced technology in the world...at least not compared to a DOHC 32V design...that has less displacement and puts out almost 100hp more...just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
As far as the numbers, the Mustang will of course win a drag race. I don't drag race, low ET low IQ as the road racers say. I bet you a paycheck that the road race track times are driver related. I still like the Mustangs and I owned one but they still drive terribly in the rain because of that damn live axle from the sixties.

Yeah, Randy Pobst certainly doesn't know what he's doing. Maybe you can give him some pointers. Isn't the ZL1 supposed to be the more driver friendly car anyways for the average driver? Or are we throwing that out the window when a GT500 gets a win around a road course?
__________________
2011 GT Premium//Performance White...a little modded
Deki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #198
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
2 seconds may be slower but calling that substantial is a bit of a stretch imo. Especially considering at 3:00.6 it still beat out most of the other exotics on the list. You have to acknowledge that 3:00 is still very fast. All I'm saying is you get a 1/4 monster AND a car that gets around the track FAST.
Actually it was 3 seconds, yes that is substantial. 3 laps almost 10 seconds faster, but details. Absolutely, I give the Gt500 a ton of credit. That motor is insane, but given the cost of the car, I do not see how it is a better buy for the $$. Yes it is fast around the course, just as the ZL1 is fast on the strip with several high 11's in stock form.
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #199
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee
 
SRT8Tech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville FL.
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Laguna Seca and Streets of Willow the GT500 was faster. Tied on Grattan Raceway. ZL1 faster on Gingerman and VIR.

Bingo and why I posted this pic just a little while ago..........
__________________
2007 Procharged SRT8 Charger..........SOLD
2010 Mopar 10 Challenger.................SOLD
2010 R/T Classic Challenger...............SOLD
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD


Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #200
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
2 seconds may be slower but calling that substantial is a bit of a stretch imo. Especially considering at 3:00.6 it still beat out most of the other exotics on the list. You have to acknowledge that 3:00 is still very fast. All I'm saying is you get a 1/4 monster AND a car that gets around the track FAST.
I think one of the points you have been missing is, the 500 had to be optioned out in order to performed as good as it did. The Z on the other hand, did much better with standard equipment at close to $10k less. Also you need to remember the Z beat out all cars in it's class, the class above it and the Jag in the class above that only leaving two cars that ran better.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.