Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Learjetguru

Drives: 2011 2SS LS3
Broken Valve Springs?

I have noticed there are a few threads about broken valve springs. I don't want to speculate as to why there seems to be a trend. But I have built more than my share of big and small block chevy's. Unless Chevrolet has a quality issue with the springs, the only other thing to my knowledge that would explain this trend is floating the valves at a high RPM range, or coil bind from a cam change. Any one else have any thought's?
Learjetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetguru View Post
I have noticed there are a few threads about broken valve springs. I don't want to speculate as to why there seems to be a trend. But I have built more than my share of big and small block chevy's. Unless Chevrolet has a quality issue with the springs, the only other thing to my knowledge that would explain this trend is floating the valves at a high RPM range, or coil bind from a cam change. Any one else have any thought's?
I broke a spring on a stock valvetrain at 36k miles while driving down the hiway to work. Car has never been to the track.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
You may get better response if you put this in the v8/mechanical forum instead of the tuning forum.
As far as I know, MOST of the spring failures are aftermarket, not stock springs with stock cam.
I would say many of the breakages are due to improper spring choice per cam specs ( aggressive ramp rates, lift etc.) And also lack of checking the springs periodically. Some failures I'm sure are due to defective product or install.
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Learjetguru

Drives: 2011 2SS LS3
Just looking for answers. Thanks for the reply.
Learjetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
i dropped a valve on the way home doin 40mph, low rpm...destroyed the engine with 41k on it. replaced under warranty... intake and HF cats, only mods.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote