Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
ZL12013
 
ZL12013's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 & 2005 F150
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Saint Louis Mo
Posts: 134
Adding air to tires

Is there a way to add nitrogen to your tires at home? Cold weather finally set in and my tires are showing a little low. I was told that you can add air and just replace at a later date.
__________________
ZL12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
One-Bad-ZL1
So easy to love Camaros
 
One-Bad-ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 VR #3457
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Marlborough, CT
Posts: 3,525
Send a message via Yahoo to One-Bad-ZL1
Are you telling me our cars tires come nitrogen filled? Or did you have them filled?
__________________
One-Bad-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
ZL12013
 
ZL12013's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 & 2005 F150
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Saint Louis Mo
Posts: 134
My car came with nitrogen check the caps on your valve stems, I got 2 sets, one has a N on the top.
__________________
ZL12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
DangerZL1

 
Drives: Accord
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Bad-SS View Post
Are you telling me our cars tires come nitrogen filled? Or did you have them filled?
Maybe his dealer put it in. I think mine did because the stems have a green cap.

I don't think you could do it unless you had a nitrogen tank. The tire places have a machine that removes the O2 from the air. It's too much trouble to go to a tire store and have them put air in, so I've decided nitrogen is more trouble than its worth.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Mouse6.2
 
Mouse6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 340
I'm sure others will chime in on this. Just add air to them. The nitrogen is a joke if you ask me. I thought I would try it out when we got new tires on our Acadia. I kept fuel mileage records and the nitrogen didn't make a difference. Also the pressure changed just as much with the heat and cold like normal air did. So to me it was a waste of money. Unfortunately my camaro came new with nitrogen filled tires that the dealer installed. I had to pay for that, not like I could have them reclaim it and refill with normal air. I was tired and just wanted to get my baby home. They already took the pinstripe off for me at no charge. Heck, the air we breath is 78% nitrogen anyway.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
One-Bad-ZL1
So easy to love Camaros
 
One-Bad-ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 VR #3457
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Marlborough, CT
Posts: 3,525
Send a message via Yahoo to One-Bad-ZL1
I just went out and checked. No green caps with N on them and I didn't read anything when I got the car about nitrogen. So I'm thinking I'm ok cuz I added air to over inflate them for winter storage on the car. Thanks for the response.
__________________
One-Bad-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Mouse6.2
 
Mouse6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 340
You either get a cap with a green N on it of just green caps to indicate you have nitrogen in the tires.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
DangerZL1

 
Drives: Accord
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Posts: 1,910
The Nitrogen still leaked out of my Accords tires over time, so I decided not to use it again. The Camaro has been a little more stable. I think the dealers add it for mark up and to reduce complaints about the air pressure sensors since it is supposed to not leak out as fast.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Ricamaro

 
Drives: RocketZed Red13
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Center of the known Universe
Posts: 851
KOOK stuff (Keeper Of Odd Knowledge)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=191
Ricamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
hairtrigger
 
Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West
Posts: 701
We use nitrogen in our race tires and find the pressure dosen't grow as much due to less moisture.
Nitrogen in car DD tires is a waste of money, just maintain your car and keep the inflation in check. IMO
__________________
hairtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
lambo3
 
Drives: black
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: nashville
Posts: 54
I would beg to differ with the thinking re; nitrogen. We purchased nitrogen machines in some dealerships we owned. I installed nitrogen in all my performance cars and it held an absolute pressure cold or hot and did not require adding more nitrogen or air for nearly 12 months in my Porsche turbo as an example. I am a nut about tire pressure and check it offen. If an installer has a good nitrogen machine it first cycles out all the air, and then it installs the nitrogen to the set pressure. Nitrogen is 99% dry and therefore is not technically affected by ambient air temps. Tires also carry less heat in hot temps with nitrogen.
lambo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Skylane765
Splitter washers, jack pd

 
Skylane765's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28, Challenger Hellcat.
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL12013 View Post
Is there a way to add nitrogen to your tires at home? Cold weather finally set in and my tires are showing a little low. I was told that you can add air and just replace at a later date.
I have a nitrogen tank at home with a regulator, I have nitrogen already for the plane. If it is dry air it will be ok, air is about 80% nitrogen. It is the water in the air they do not want to get to the sensors. Nitrogen leaks out just like air. We use nitrogen because of the high pressure and dry air. When you fill your tires with air it's no different than nitrogen, as long as it is dry.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
Skylane765
Splitter washers, jack pd

 
Skylane765's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28, Challenger Hellcat.
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Maybe his dealer put it in. I think mine did because the stems have a green cap.

I don't think you could do it unless you had a nitrogen tank. The tire places have a machine that removes the O2 from the air. It's too much trouble to go to a tire store and have them put air in, so I've decided nitrogen is more trouble than its worth.
the shops do not remove O2, they remove the water with a air conditioner type unit the cools the air to get the water out.

The dealer tried to sell me nitrogen fills for my tires, that a load of crap and a waist of money.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Skylane765
Splitter washers, jack pd

 
Skylane765's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28, Challenger Hellcat.
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse6.2 View Post
I'm sure others will chime in on this. Just add air to them. The nitrogen is a joke if you ask me. I thought I would try it out when we got new tires on our Acadia. I kept fuel mileage records and the nitrogen didn't make a difference. Also the pressure changed just as much with the heat and cold like normal air did. So to me it was a waste of money. Unfortunately my camaro came new with nitrogen filled tires that the dealer installed. I had to pay for that, not like I could have them reclaim it and refill with normal air. I was tired and just wanted to get my baby home. They already took the pinstripe off for me at no charge. Heck, the air we breath is 78% nitrogen anyway.
You are right, as long as the air does not have allot of water in it.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.