Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
jhitson

Drives: 88 Camaro, 01 S-10, 06 G6 GTP
Ordering a sleeper.

So do you Think it will be possible. I want top notch on the interior,(leather, disc changer and all). Gotta have the big daddy kong motor(whatever it may be), but on the outside I want nothing to indicate that the car is anything other than a base v6. Maybe a spoiler. I've never ordered a car so I don't know if it is possible to order an engine option without the coresponding appearance package. The f*rd guy would not see it coming. They won't wanna race it they know they're gonna get beat.
jhitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Most common giveaway of a v8 = Dual exhaust tips. Sleeper is going to be hard to make unless you want to hide one of the tips...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I don't think you can do what you want. The closest might be an optional engine upgrade. But thats not likely for something like the Camaro.

Talking about sleepers, sometime I would like to take a rusting, brown mid 80's Malibu POS, put a supercharged crate engine in there, one like the LS9 has would be nice since the supercharger is supposed to have nearly no whine. Then of course upgrade the suspension, driveline, reinforce where needed, and so on, then look for victims. Too bad I don't really know how to do much work on cars. I still think doing that would be cool

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
jhitson

I was at a car show in panama city in '98 or '99. I saw an early-mid 80's station wagaon(caprice?) in black primer. It had "502" across the back window, and other than that nothing was special about. Until the guy starts bouncing the front wheels off the ground. All motor, no hydrolics. Anyway, thats when I fell in love with the idea. I'm sure I won't have any trouble finding base modle stuff in the junkyard.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
the junk yard for the new camaro?!? its gonna be hard. you cant do it like a honda where just make it look stock. there will be two exhaust pipes. badges like crazy. the sound alone that the car makes in idol will be a dead givaway. with muscle cars its very hard to make sleepers. you can take ss or what ever badging will be on but as for anything else not really. my only recomendation is a procharger. its a supercharger that makes almost no noise. but thats it.

and i dont even recommend the procharger
Old 03-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
jhitson

As far as the junkyard goes, I won't be getting my camaro for a while. By that time I'm sure that there will be a few in the junkyard with good parts on them. Stuff like regular bowtie emblems to replace the ss/z28 badges. As far as the exaust, don't the pre-production V6's have dual exaust outlets? Plus, most f*rdheads have such a loud exaust anyway, that they wouldn't be able to hear what pulled up next to them. You just don't realize the idiots that live around here. Throw a cobalt or an s-10 at them and they will race all day, but if you give them some real competition, their car is suddenly too precious to race.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Get a V6. There's all sorts of stuff you can do to make it compete with the V8—bore, stroke, pistons, valves, exhaust, rear seat removal, carbon fiber panels, forced induction, transmission rebuild. This is just a start. It'll cost the price difference, but to have a sleeper might make it worth it. Plan on thoroughly violating your warranty to do this.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
I think you're looking for something like the new Mustang Bullitt right?

V8 from the factory but without any badging to give it away (other than the obvious highland green color). I should think that'd be possible from a dealer (at least to a degree). Order the V8 you want without any appearance upgrades and then have the dealer remove any badging you don't want. They can probably even sell you replacement V6 badging pretty cheaply if that's what you'd prefer.

Other than that the exhaust look and sound will always be a giveaway, but most people don't pay close enough attention and, when they're next to you at a stoplight and see either V6 badging or no badging, they'll just assume you're a V6 which is what you want, right?

In short changing/removing the badging ought to be enough and shouldn't be too difficult from the factory or dealer.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
jhitson

I should have prefaced my above statements with this. I have nothing against ford or their products. One of best vehicles i ever owned was a '87 ranger. I do have a problem with the mentality that alot of ford owners develop. I call it the F*rd disease. The number one symptom is in-ability to put your money where your mouth is. This disease may be limited to the east tennessee area, but I doubt it. So, in the future, if I say something about f*rdfaces, f*rdasses, f*rdheads, f*rded-up, the "F" word, or go f*rd yourself, I am making reference to th F*rd disease, not the Ford motor company.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have been on many manufacturer specific car sights and the equal could be said for GM, Honda, and the list goes on and on. Speaking of Tennessee though, when I visited a drag strip I have to say I have never seen so many Ford bodies with GM engines in them so maybe your opinion is a bit skewd?
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Rice it out.

I don't know about anyone else, but here is how to make me think your car is slow: novelty sized exhaust tips, super-size the spoiler, add some Type-R stickers and instead of removing the Z/28 or SS badges add more of both other them.

That would make me want to race, and feel pretty embarrassed if I lost. Of course there is no way I would drive a car like that.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
jhitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
I have been on many manufacturer specific car sights and the equal could be said for GM, Honda, and the list goes on and on. Speaking of Tennessee though, when I visited a drag strip I have to say I have never seen so many Ford bodies with GM engines in them so maybe your opinion is a bit skewd?
agreed on all points. GM people around here CAN be as bad as ford people but not usualy. I may or may not go the way of the sleeper. Its a long time before that will be final. I will say that if the Z28,SS or whatever the daddy camaro is, has some kinda goofy body kit or stupid wing I will have to pass. Simplicity is the name of the game.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Looks like you're going about it a slightly different way then me. I'm not gonna pimip it ou, probably just gonna keep it V8 stock with a spoiler and yellow with lback stripes but that will make it stand out A LOT in this Volvo and Saab filled country. Which is exactly what I want to do, never will I get a boring Volvo.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
Wedgy

Drives: 2004 Aveo
I too like the Idea of a sleeper. maybe not have the car look like a rust bucket, but very inconspicuous. thats what I did with my old 02 z28. I took off the z28 emblems, and took off the exhaust tips and cut the pipes back. The only give away was the sound of a big cam and the c5 brake upgrade (if you could spot it).
Wedgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM #1340(app.) 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Most common giveaway of a v8 = Dual exhaust tips. Sleeper is going to be hard to make unless you want to hide one of the tips...

Quick question, how is having two exhaust tips a giveaway of a V-8 ? There are a LOT of V-6's, even some 4bangers, that have dual exhuast. I own two, a Monte Carlo and a Grand Prix.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #16
edbrick

Drives: 2009 GXP -2007 MustangGT--Wife
In 1986 my mom bought a new Camaro coupe with a 305. When she brought it home I looked at the back bumper and it had the six cylinder sticker. I used to love driving that thing it supprised more than one mustang who thought he had an easy kill on his hands.
edbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #17
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitson View Post
I should have prefaced my above statements with this. I have nothing against ford or their products. One of best vehicles i ever owned was a '87 ranger. I do have a problem with the mentality that alot of ford owners develop. I call it the F*rd disease. The number one symptom is in-ability to put your money where your mouth is. This disease may be limited to the east tennessee area, but I doubt it. So, in the future, if I say something about f*rdfaces, f*rdasses, f*rdheads, f*rded-up, the "F" word, or go f*rd yourself, I am making reference to th F*rd disease, not the Ford motor company.
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #18
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman 12 View Post
Quick question, how is having two exhaust tips a giveaway of a V-8 ? There are a LOT of V-6's, even some 4bangers, that have dual exhuast. I own two, a Monte Carlo and a Grand Prix.
He's operating on the assumption that the Camaro will be like the Mustang in that the stock V6's have a single exhaust and the stock V8's have dual. Thus dual exhaust would be a giveaway of a V8 lurking beneath the hood.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think I would like to order a sleeper of sorts. I'm thinking a possible spoiler on the trunk lid, wheels similar to the concept, maybe stripes, and try to keep the exhaust tips as they look on the protos'. I am not much of a fan of chrome on cars and like a monochromatic paint scheme but would like something simple on the outside and most of the interior options that we are speculating on. No navigation for me, but power everything, leather, and good stereo. I don't want the Mustangs and Challengers to notice me coming, but see me go right by them.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #20
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM #1340(app.) 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
He's operating on the assumption that the Camaro will be like the Mustang in that the stock V6's have a single exhaust and the stock V8's have dual. Thus dual exhaust would be a giveaway of a V8 lurking beneath the hood.

ok, that statement makes sense now, I figured I just wasn't interpreting it correctly, happens a lot actually.