Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #26
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yup thats about how it works. Dealers are allocated a certain amount of each car. They can use an allocation slot to order a car to customer's specifications (within limits, depending on manufacturer's policy), modify a car already in the allocation pipeline, or reserve a car in transit from the manufacturer to the dealership. The manufacturer's regional sales and distribution unit will determine allocation numbers, mainly using past sales. So of course, the more sales, the more Camaros, and the more options to get it how you want it. But the more sales, the more people willing to pay good money to be on that list, at least at first. When I worked inventory at a dealership we just had a simple excel list of the person and their car's specifications. If we happened to get allocated a match, then that person was the lucky winner and they got their car. If we had to special order it then it would all depend on when it was made and allocated to us.
I actually find it ridiculous that I couldn't walk into any Chevy dealer and place an order for a Camaro at any time.

So, they tell a dealer 'you're getting X amount of Camaro's, after that your SOL if anyone else wants one'?

A customer should be able to walk in at any time and place an order (assuming they pass credit checks and prove they are serious). It's a guarunteed sale for god's sake!

I can understand a limit for models to be placed on the lot, but there should be no limits to how many orders can be placed on behalf of a paying customer.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #27
Splicerguy

Drives: 2002 trailblazer
I think there may be allocations for the first few months, but that's probably for the FIRST units available to the dealer. The Camaro is not a limited production vehicle, once production is ramped up you should be able to go into any Chevy dealer and have them order one for you. You might have to wait for a few months, but I don't think they'll put limits on production numbers for the car. Remember, they want to sell as many as possible.
Splicerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #28
Gatecrasher
User

Drives: 1994 Stealth R/T Turbo
Quote:
A customer should be able to walk in at any time and place an order (assuming they pass credit checks and prove they are serious). It's a guarunteed sale for god's sake!

I can understand a limit for models to be placed on the lot, but there should be no limits to how many orders can be placed on behalf of a paying customer.
GM can only build and ship so many cars in a given time frame.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #29
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
GM can only build and ship so many cars in a given time frame.
I think the point is that if they know in advance that you've preordered one they know how many to build. And if you pre order you've conceded that you will wait to get it. Not a bad deal for GM imo. Of course this is always going to be based on GM's ability to turn a profit on sales. Blah blah.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #30
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Well there is a physical limit to the amount of cars that can be turned out of the factory at any given time. So its not that Chevy doesn't want to build more. They certainly do. But they have a limited amount of orders they can ship out in a given time period. So you can always order one through your dealer, but it the order goes on a waiting list until the car can be built
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #31
Gatecrasher
User

Drives: 1994 Stealth R/T Turbo
At the same time, they may not want to max out capacity to avoid dampening demand. If they keep the car a little scarce, that inflates demand for a 'hard to get item'. They did this with the Solstice and Sky and it seemed to work, at least for a while.

On the other hand, you take a car like the Malibu where they want to build as many as they can. So many, they tooled up a second plant to keep up with demand.
Gatecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #32
nbjczk71

Drives: 69 Camaro
That's exactly correct. Look, the bottom line is that if you want to be one of the first guys to hit the streets with a 2010 Camaro, you had better find a dealer who is willing to put you on a waiting, or call list. Or, if you can wait a few months, when all the initial hype is over with, I'm sure that you will be able to walk into almost any dealer and either order one with the options you want, or buy one off the lot. Who knows, that may take more like 6 months, but we will have to wait and see.

I used to work at a dealer, and the way they would do it is put you on a call list which basically meant that they would call you the second they could order one and you had to either $hit or get off the pot at that point.
nbjczk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #33
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
I'm first on the list at Ramp Chevy, only had to put 500 down
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #34
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
... First on the list at every major dealer around my college, and my home town. I also am first on a few lists around Roanoke. Didn't put money down though, whats the point. I also told the dealer right out I am not paying a dime over MSRP.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #35
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
... First on the list at every major dealer around my college, and my home town. I also am first on a few lists around Roanoke. Didn't put money down though, whats the point. I also told the dealer right out I am not paying a dime over MSRP.
good call. DONT LET THEM GRAB YOU BY THE LEESH AND TELL YOU WAHT TO DO. your the customer and you tell them. when i was about to get my honda my credit score was only 650. they were going to give me 5 years. originally at 450$/mo but i talked them down to 385$/mo if i got a co signer. this was at a small honda dealership, where as the one that sells more than any other STEALER ship in CA want 4k over msrp and wanted the 450$. anyways, i dont know if there are any dealers here taking orders. i am so glad i didnt get the honda. but i feel bad too for the salesman
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #36
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Oh, trust me, I am far from new at this.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #37
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
good call. DONT LET THEM GRAB YOU BY THE LEESH AND TELL YOU WAHT TO DO. your the customer and you tell them. when i was about to get my honda my credit score was only 650. they were going to give me 5 years. originally at 450$/mo but i talked them down to 385$/mo if i got a co signer. this was at a small honda dealership, where as the one that sells more than any other STEALER ship in CA want 4k over msrp and wanted the 450$. anyways, i dont know if there are any dealers here taking orders. i am so glad i didnt get the honda. but i feel bad too for the salesman
Advice on buying any car: NEVER negotiate monthly payments. Work on a final price first, then an interest rate, then term length. They can charge you any price they want and still give you good monthly payments if they know what they're doing. The difference between $30,000 and $35,000 looks like nothing when it is broken down into monthly payments.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote