Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
New to Tuning

Never tuned a vehicle before and I just bought ARH LT that I am getting installed this spring and getting a tune with it. I already know I am losing my drive train warranty...what eve, don't care. My questions is after I get a tune, will a dealership still work on the car if it ever needs anything done to it or will they not want to touch a tuned car? Secondly, if they do decide to fix my car with a tune, is the dealership able to reset it to stock tune (not that I want them to) or would I ever need to get my car retuned after work has been done to the drive train?

Also, since I have never had a car dyno tuned what should I all be looking for?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Supposedly anything not directly associated with your modifications should be warranted. Some dealers are more "mad-friendly" than others, but to answer your question, yes you still have a warranty, but might have trouble getting anything fixed/replaced under warranty that your dealer can claim was directly caused by any modifications you did.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
My questions are, after I get a tune, will a dealership still work on the car if it ever needs anything done to it or will they not want to touch a tuned car? Secondly, if they do decide to fix my car with a tune, is the dealership able to reset it to stock tune.
1. Sure they'll still work on it. You will have to pay them for any work deemed ineligible due to your modifications.

2. They may not want to touch your computers. I would say they would be able to, but most wouldn't want to.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Never tuned a vehicle before and I just bought ARH LT that I am getting installed this spring and getting a tune with it. I already know I am losing my drive train warranty...what eve, don't care. My questions is after I get a tune, will a dealership still work on the car if it ever needs anything done to it or will they not want to touch a tuned car? Secondly, if they do decide to fix my car with a tune, is the dealership able to reset it to stock tune (not that I want them to) or would I ever need to get my car retuned after work has been done to the drive train?

Also, since I have never had a car dyno tuned what should I all be looking for?
With an SCT tuner you can return the computer to stock before having any dealer work on it, this way if they have to update any of your computers the tune will not interfere or be lost.

The tune will still be stored on the SCT X3 or iTSX.

They will not work on the exhaust but I don't see why they would not work on any other issues you may run in to.

The do have the right to deny a warranty repair for anything related to the aftermarket parts.

Let me know If JRE can be your choice for Performance.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Tuning process

Can someone explain the dyno or street tuning process and why it would be better than a mail in tune specific to your cars mods and set-up?

What are the variables that are changed or tweeked to the tune during the dyno or street tune process?

How long does it take a tuner to dial in a car?

What are some of the typical mistakes or problems that occur in tuning?

What general symptoms would a person notice from a bad or below average tune?

Any info is much appreciated. Thx
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JProberts View Post
Can someone explain the dyno or street tuning process and why it would be better than a mail in tune specific to your cars mods and set-up?

What are the variables that are changed or tweeked to the tune during the dyno or street tune process?

How long does it take a tuner to dial in a car?

What are some of the typical mistakes or problems that occur in tuning?

What general symptoms would a person notice from a bad or below average tune?

Any info is much appreciated. Thx
To keep this simple, it is not about how it is done, it is about the Tuner in questions Experience with this Platform.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
Performance Parts
Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Alvin@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 IOM RSS
We do sell Hptuners and also email tunes to go along with it. Since we do so many Camaro's they are really a walk in the park for us. With the email tune we email you a file, you record a datalog, and we send you a new file to load. If you modify the car any further you can just get a new file sent to you. Best of all with HPtuners if you decided to pick up tuning as a hobby you will have everything needed already! Hptuners also comes with enough credits to do 3-4 cars out of the box. Let us know if we can help you!

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Alvin@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
With an SCT tuner you can return the computer to stock before having any dealer work on it, this way if they have to update any of your computers the tune will not interfere or be lost.

The tune will still be stored on the SCT X3 or iTSX.

They will not work on the exhaust but I don't see why they would not work on any other issues you may run in to.

The do have the right to deny a warranty repair for anything related to the aftermarket parts.

Let me know If JRE can be your choice for Performance.

Ted.
Ted,

At this point I am thinking about going with you instead of a dyno tune. One of my buddies shipped his camaro to you in the summer and had a cam installed, headers, and intake done there. He had nothing but great reviews from you and with everything else I read on this forum I think you would probably be the best to tune my car. However, I may need some step by step instructions on how to tune. Since my car is in storage and the headers aren't installed yet, it may be a few months before I get back to you on ordering a tune.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Quote:
Ted,

At this point I am thinking about going with you instead of a dyno tune. One of my buddies shipped his camaro to you in the summer and had a cam installed, headers, and intake done there. He had nothing but great reviews from you and with everything else I read on this forum I think you would probably be the best to tune my car. However, I may need some step by step instructions on how to tune. Since my car is in storage and the headers aren't installed yet, it may be a few months before I get back to you on ordering a tune.
Thank you for choosing JRE here are the instructions for your viewing Pleasure.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225374
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
Performance Parts