Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Retro69

Drives: 2011 2SS M6 Synergy Green
Tech II Scantool: Are they with their cost?

Many moons ago I was a driveability/tuneup tech at Chevrolet dealers. At that time I had a personal OTC scantool. The latest gear the dealer had was a CAMS
machine. The Tech II scanner was just on the horizon as I made a career change out of the car business.

Fast forward to 2013. Assuming working on only GM vehicles is the Tech II scanner a good investment? How does it compare to the third party alternatives?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Comp Cams cam and trunion upgrade
CAI intake, Rotofab washer bottle
Dynatech 1 7/8" long tube headers, hi-flow cats
VMAX CNC Ported TB. Pfadt Performance Kit - Stage 2 ZL-Spec
Ideal Garage clutch master cylinder with remote reservoir
Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
tech 2 is old news, not even really used at our dealer anymore. the latest gm scan tool is the MDI unit, you use it with a laptop and gds2 software for all 2010 and newer gm global vehicles. and for the older gm's and new non global vehicles they have gm tech2 win software that emulates a tech2 scanner on the laptop when used with the mdi unit.

if you do decide to get a tech 2 make sure its a real one and not a chinese clone, basically if they are advertising it as new with a candi module for less than $2000 its a fake.

i own a tech2 with candi module, gm mdi unit and a snap on solus. the solus is nice but for gm its no tech2
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Retro69

Drives: 2011 2SS M6 Synergy Green
Wow! I'm really out of the loop.

So how does the MDI rate compared to third part gear?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Comp Cams cam and trunion upgrade
CAI intake, Rotofab washer bottle
Dynatech 1 7/8" long tube headers, hi-flow cats
VMAX CNC Ported TB. Pfadt Performance Kit - Stage 2 ZL-Spec
Ideal Garage clutch master cylinder with remote reservoir
Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
gm is clamping down on all of its software after all the people copying tech 2 cards and selling them for big $$ on ebay. now to use any of the gds or tech2 win software with the mdi unit you need a gm log on password to update the gds software every 7 days and the gm tech 2 win software every 30 days or it shuts down. the tech 2 is still a great tool for working on older vehicles if you can find a real one for a good price. its that or go with a brand name aftermarket scan tool like the snap on solus line of scan tools, these also will cost you about $1000 a year if you want to keep it up to date.
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote