Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #1701
jewel25
Nov 20, 2016

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Headers go on in a few days
Old 04-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #1702
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
So I took my car out for a drive today as it is finally nice and sunny. Haven't had it out for a good week to maybe closer to 2 weeks. Haven't driven it a lot lately because of the weather.

Anyways, it did something strange, that has actually happened once or twice before and not that I'm freaking out about it or anything, but when it does happen it is quite unnerving. A real "WTF" moment. I was cruising down the highway, normal rpms 6th gear and suddenly the engine acts as if it is missfiring and starts shuddering and what not. Almost feels as if the transmission is skipping or like the engine was fed too much fuel and the engine is choaking or sputtering. It lasts a second or two and goes away. No CEL.

Like I said it has happened once before, but this time I noticed it happened when I was steady on the highway and then released my foot off the gas. It happening when I released my foot off the gas is what has me thinking maybe it was a fuel issue??? But thats just a guess. I can't remember what I was doing exactly when it happened the previous time, except that was cruising on the highway.

I will also say that both times I had probably only been in the car 2 - 5 minutes so it may not have been fully warm.

Anyone else notice this? I wonder if there would be any codes it left behind that I could view?
So yes I know I'm quoting myself here...lol...

Just wanted to give a little update for those whom may have caught this earlier and gave me some suggestions. I don't really feel it warrants its own thread at this point.

I used the Trifecta client and the Android Torque app to try and pull any codes that may have been left behind from the incident I described above, but there were no codes in the system according to both of those tools above. So I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing...I was hoping to see something that might give me a clue as to what happened.

Anyways, now this is going to take a bit of a turn...I'll try and keep it short.

While my car was idling in the garage I noticed the car was rocking/shaking a bit. Maybe not enough to notice if you was not paying attention but it was shaking. More so than I thought it should be shaking. (No I do not have the ghost cam).

Does anyone else notice their car doing this normally??

So I pop the hood and snoop around. First thing that caught my eye was that my Vararam breather on the "clean air" (driver) side looked to be soaked with oil. Sure enough the bottom of the breather had a very small amount of oil that had leaked out over the time since I've owned the Vararam (basically since it was introduced a long time ago). Look at the picture below. You can see the filler inside the breather which used to be white, is now oily brown. I think I'll be getting a new breather soon.

Name:  20130422_181919.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  213.7 KB

Now this is nothing new as years ago when I replaced my stock intake I found oil had entered in through the "clean" side. What it does tell me is that everyone with a breather here should check it every now and again, as it could be getting clogged and not allowing the same release of pressure it it did when new. I don't think this is causing the slightly rough idle.

I've always been a little suspect of my catch can possibly causing something like the slight shaking, since an air leak can cause the RPM flucuations. But I know its installed correctly, and the drain valve is shut. No matter, I by passed the can and made the connection back to stock.

First video below shows with catch can in use, and the 2nd is using the stock setup. Watch in the videos how the RPM needle is in relation to the white horizontal marker just below it that it is touching. In the first video it jumps a bit more. In the 2nd the car was smoother.

Now I know the difference is very small, but I could feel it

I hooked the can back up, this time adding some plumbers tape to one of the fittings that did not have it originally, tightened up good. Started the car up and let her idle and this time it seemed to idle better....at least better than in the first video above.

Yes this is a long post with not much of a point, but I think I am getting a bit paranoid that my car may not be running in tip top condition.

Trifecta got back with me and said "tune looks good" from my datalogs of a few weeks ago so nothing there to report.

How hard is it to pull the spark plugs on this car? I've done plenty of spark plug and wire changes on other cars, but this one is a bit different. I think I'd like to take a look at the plugs sometime just cuz.

Thanks for viewing my rambling. This is a "lounge" so I'm talking!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #1703
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
DUDE!

I am in the very same exact situation but without the catch can. I have idled roughly every since they replaced my cat but trifecta says it looks fine. On may 4th I am going to open up the manifold and clean it and look around and stuff because something has got to be causing this. People told me to try a MAF cleaner but I dont think that is my problem. I am going to try it though.

I have to get a new intake as well...whenever my car gets hot, it feels like it has 200 hp...
Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #1704
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos30 View Post
DUDE!

I am in the very same exact situation but without the catch can. I have idled roughly every since they replaced my cat but trifecta says it looks fine. On may 4th I am going to open up the manifold and clean it and look around and stuff because something has got to be causing this. People told me to try a MAF cleaner but I dont think that is my problem. I am going to try it though.

I have to get a new intake as well...whenever my car gets hot, it feels like it has 200 hp...
Have you thought about seafoaming your engine? Also, what intake do you have?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #1705
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Just a heads up the videos are set to private. But I had the same problem a few months ago. I was running richer than normal so I decided to try and figure out what it was. I cleaned my mass air flow sensor and when that didn't do anything i decided to by pass the can and surprisingly that made a difference. With the can I had a rough idle and even had what sounded like very suddle misfires they even happened while I was sitting at a light. I contacted Tracy about it and he attempt to help me get my can working. After a few months of trying several things it never really worked and I returned my can and purchased the elite one and since then I have had no issues what's so ever.

I don't know if I just had one bad can in a batch or what but Tracy said they tested it multiple times and it had no issues what so ever. I found it very odd that the catch can was what was causing the problem but I kind of just accepted it because the fact that the car was totally different without the can doesn't lie. One thing that I found to help with this was to pull both cables on the battery for a little while to have it rest the ECU to relearn the parameters. Not sure if it will work with you but it worked with me. My car was running so rich that in a matter of a minute after just idling my tips where completely black. It got to the point that I was contemplating on buying the trifecta tune to adjust my AFR and with my mods I should not need one
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #1706
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Quote:
...Really long post...

I had an oil soaked breather (Rx breather/cap) once myself - in fact the breather had separated from the cap. It was accompanied by one brief instance of a rough idle. The only explanation that I could come up with for the breather cap failure was that the crankcase had gotten pressurized and since the Rx breather cap has a check valve in it that won't allow flow out, pressure built up until the glue joint failed. Around that time, there were a number of threads here talking about oil leaks from the clean-side, etc. Tracy was recommending the dirty-side PVC orifice "drill mod" as a way to keep that orifice from plugging because when it does plug, the crankcase can pressurize and the only place flow can go is out the clean side. I did the mod and can report that I haven't had a problem since. I know that's just anecdotal evidence, so it may not be the end-all solution. I know that others have tried the mod and have not had success in solving their issue, so...

Have you done the drill mod? Or have you checked and cleaned the clean-side orifice?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #1707
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Just a heads up the videos are set to private;;.... After a few months of trying several things it never really worked and I returned my can and purchased the elite one and since then I have had no issues what's so ever.
One thing that I found to help with this was to pull both cables on the battery for a little while to have it rest the ECU to relearn the parameters. Not sure if it will work with you but it worked with me.
I actually have what appears to be an older version of the Elite catch can that drains from the bottom. It is not the RX can. I'm hoping that after I reinstalled the can using the plumbers tape that maybe that has helped, but everything with the can was tight before so I don't know.

I haven't tried a battery pull, but maybe I will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post

Have you done the drill mod? Or have you checked and cleaned the clean-side orifice?
Have not done the drill mod and not sure if I want to. Like I said, my car (and others that I have read about) was leaking a bit (just a small run of oil over time) on the clean side even when my car was nearly new. I can't imagine the orfice causing this after 1,500 to 2,000 miles of driving which my car had when I first removed the stock intake.

I did pull off the clean side and blew through it and it seemed to be fine, so I don't think too much pressure is building up, but I will say with the breather being a bit oil soaked that it may not be releasing pressure the same as when the breather was new.

appreciate the help guys.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #1708
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'm going to put on my flame suit and ask what is probably the dumbest question ever on C5.

Where should my oil level be on my dipstick? There's a bunch of notches and a hashed area at the top. You guys have me so worried with this timing chain deal I'm checking it more often. Mine is in the last section before the hashed area, but closer to the divider than the hashed part.
Anyway flame away, I know I should know this, I just was never taught anything about cars so I'm doing it on the fly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #1709
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
I think anywhere on the hash marks is good.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #1710
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Ok so I need to add some then. Thank you.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #1711
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
How hard is it to pull the spark plugs on this car? I've done plenty of spark plug and wire changes on other cars, but this one is a bit different. I think I'd like to take a look at the plugs sometime just cuz.

Thanks for viewing my rambling. This is a "lounge" so I'm talking!
VERY Easy. When my MAF sensor went out on my way back from RX, Tracy thought it might be my plugs. So when my car died in Tallahassee I was forced to check the plugs. I bought a basic ratchet and extensions and did them all in a Pep Boys Parking lot. Oh and prior to that I had never touched spark plugs. Since then I've changed my plugs and the gaping a few times.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Ok so I need to add some then. Thank you.

I try and keep it at the top hash, since these engines eat oil.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #1712
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Guys I just figured out how I could get a turbo by next month.

I just need every one of you to lend me a couple hundred or maybe a couple grand or so. I promise I will pay you back in 10 or less years. Sounds good to me.

Thanks guys
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #1713
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Have you thought about seafoaming your engine? Also, what intake do you have?
the stupid g5cr intake. I didnt know about this forum when I bought it... I think somebody proved that it actually makes the car slower when its hot compared to the stock one...lmao Im an idiot!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #1714
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos30 View Post
the stupid g5cr intake. I didnt know about this forum when I bought it... I think somebody proved that it actually makes the car slower when its hot compared to the stock one...lmao Im an idiot!
Yea, I'd definitely look into swapping it out

It never ends huh?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #1715
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Looks like my can will arrive friday, so my intake manifold install is a go!
Can anyone help list what I need because one of the threads on the install I had bookmarked is gone...
It has the mace 25mm spacer already installed without a gasket, it looks like it was rtved on. I bought it from usafboy and mace installed the spacer so I think its on there good. Do I reuse the stock gasket on the bottom?

I mainly need to know what tools I need though, something about a 13mm swivel wrench?
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #1716
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Just dropped off my car to get my NS-1 stripes installed!!! Woot
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #1717
jewel25
Nov 20, 2016

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote: