Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #188
Highlifeman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkauf View Post
Would it be possible for you to post a recommended list of Digikey part numbers for this approach?

Thanks

Paul
Sure, that is much easier than being limited to Radio Shack's crappy selection. This is for the top circuit in my drawing with two MOSFETs and replacing the 1K resistor with a 5.6 ohm.

MOSFETs x2: 2SK4017Q-ND
555 Timer: 296-21753-5-ND
Diode: 1N4001-E3/54GITR-ND
Capacitor: 445-8552-ND or P5148-ND
Potentiometer: DJA15TB-ND
Resistor: TCH35P5R60JE-ND (You could also use the big power resistor shown earlier in the thread, but I couldn't find it on Digikey.)

You will also obviously need a board to mount the stuff on and wire to connect it.
Highlifeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #189
pkauf

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Convertible RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlifeman View Post
Sure, that is much easier than being limited to Radio Shack's crappy selection. This is for the top circuit in my drawing with two MOSFETs and replacing the 1K resistor with a 5.6 ohm.

MOSFETs x2: 2SK4017Q-ND
555 Timer: 296-21753-5-ND
Diode: 1N4001-E3/54GITR-ND
Capacitor: 445-8552-ND or P5148-ND
Potentiometer: DJA15TB-ND
Resistor: TCH35P5R60JE-ND (You could also use the big power resistor shown earlier in the thread, but I couldn't find it on Digikey.)

You will also obviously need a board to mount the stuff on and wire to connect it.
Thank you so much!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #190
dragom
2G1FB1EV3A9121989

Drives: Rally Yellow RS Coupe
ok what is the verdict on using the 2 MOSFETs does the error message from the BCM go away has anyone tested this yet??
dragom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #191
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
i worked the double mosfet on my bread board and had no luck. changed out resistor values and still nothing. gonna keep working at it.

got the P-type to work...kinda. need to figure out the resistor value to go inline from pin 3 to the gate as it lights up (dim) as soon as power is applied and goes full on once the timer counts down. need to limit the voltage going to the gate of the P type until "time on".
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #192
Highlifeman

That's strange. Can you elaborate on what happened with two MOSFETs, or did it just not light up at all?

Putting a resistor in between the timer and the gate of the transistor won't do anything. Current into the gate is zero, so there will be no voltage drop across the resistor.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #193
dragom
2G1FB1EV3A9121989

Drives: Rally Yellow RS Coupe
I got most of the parts to do either way but will wait and see which one works best before I order anymore parts. The price for everything has slowly gone past the 20 dollar mark.

Last edited by dragom; 01-30-2013 at 09:49 AM.
dragom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #194
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
That's strange. Can you elaborate on what happened with two MOSFETs, or did it just not light up at all?

Putting a resistor in between the timer and the gate of the transistor won't do anything. Current into the gate is zero, so there will be no voltage drop across the resistor.
With the 2 mosfets, nothing happened, no lights. Used a variable 1k resistor and swapped it out with various resistors at lower ratings to include 5ohms.

For the P type mosfet, does it need a pull down or pull up resistor between the gate and Vcc?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #195
Highlifeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
With the 2 mosfets, nothing happened, no lights. Used a variable 1k resistor and swapped it out with various resistors at lower ratings to include 5ohms.

For the P type mosfet, does it need a pull down or pull up resistor between the gate and Vcc?
That resistor value doesn't matter much, it's just to limit the current going through the MOSFET. It sounds like it may be hooked up to the wrong wires, or hooked up backwards. If it's on the wrong wire going to the bulb then switching the wires going to the "input" and "to light" terminals should make it work.

If anyone has a wiring diagram of the tail lights, it would help me out a ton and I could say which color wires to hook it to. Or I guess I could get out the multimeter tonight and figure it out.

For a P-type, it shouldnt need a resistor between the gate and Vcc. Current cant go into or out of the gate, so a resistor before it doesn't do anything. To use a P-type, just connect the gate to pin 3 on the timer and think of the drain and source as the contacts on a relay, except polarity matters.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #196
Highlifeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
i worked the double mosfet on my bread board and had no luck. changed out resistor values and still nothing. gonna keep working at it.

got the P-type to work...kinda. need to figure out the resistor value to go inline from pin 3 to the gate as it lights up (dim) as soon as power is applied and goes full on once the timer counts down. need to limit the voltage going to the gate of the P type until "time on".
After thinking about it some more, it sounds like you cut the negative wire from the light bulb. Try hooking it up to the other wire going to the bulb instead.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #197
Iroc2430
Smoke'm if you can

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS/LS3/M6
Could someone please revise this post with all parts needed along with instructions if all the issues are taken care of. This is an awesome post. Too many part swaps to get everything needed in one whack.

Thanks
Texas Speed LT Headers with HF Cats, Borla ATAK Exhaust, MGW Short Throw Shifter, ADM CAI with Scoop, Elite Oil Catch Can, Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, Pedders XA Coilovers, Mantic Twin 9000 Clutch, PFADT Solid Subframe Bushings, PFADT Front & Rear Sways, PFADT Upper Control Arm Bushing, PFADT Trailing Arms/Tie Rods, Whiteline Adjustable End Links, Whiteline Adjustable Lower Control Arms, Pedders Diff Bushings, Line Lock, ACC Side Markers, ACC Reverse Lights, Custom Tune from Nitrous Express.
Iroc2430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #198
brettsimons

Drives: 2011 Automatic Camaro 2SS
Haha yeah this thread is getting a little cluttered with multiple set-ups and this isn't going to help but for the setup I'm running (the original diagram and parts with the load resistor) I am going to RadioShack tonight so that I can get a pack a 22 ohm resistors. I'm going to put two of those in series and connect that series in parallel with the 8 ohm and 50 ohm resistors that I already have connected in parallel giving me 5.962 ohms which should be just about perfect and hopefully getting rid of the blinker error! I'll get it hooked up tonight and let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
brettsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #199
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
That resistor value doesn't matter much, it's just to limit the current going through the MOSFET. It sounds like it may be hooked up to the wrong wires, or hooked up backwards. If it's on the wrong wire going to the bulb then switching the wires going to the "input" and "to light" terminals should make it work.

If anyone has a wiring diagram of the tail lights, it would help me out a ton and I could say which color wires to hook it to. Or I guess I could get out the multimeter tonight and figure it out.

For a P-type, it shouldnt need a resistor between the gate and Vcc. Current cant go into or out of the gate, so a resistor before it doesn't do anything. To use a P-type, just connect the gate to pin 3 on the timer and think of the drain and source as the contacts on a relay, except polarity matters.
so the P-type (NTE2371) now works...had to connect the bulb to drain, and source to Vcc. works flawlessly...now to get the load resistors worked into this. (for this, im going to hold tight until the right ohm value is determined before installing).

thanks for you help on this

Last edited by hapisok; 01-30-2013 at 05:50 PM.
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #200
gutterball

Drives: 2011 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
brettsimons, I think I know why your getting the message from your BCM, first of all the two Lights are connected together, so your BCM is looking for 4 amps not 2. When the first inner Bulb comes on, your drawing 2 amps, Try removing the Load Res. and speed up the timing a little more, so the outside light comes on more, before the inside light goes off.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #201
gutterball

The colors of the Dir/Brake wire is Grn on the right, Yellow on the left
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #202
brettsimons

Drives: 2011 Automatic Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterball View Post
brettsimons, I think I know why your getting the message from your BCM, first of all the two Lights are connected together, so your BCM is looking for 4 amps not 2. When the first inner Bulb comes on, your drawing 2 amps, Try removing the Load Res. and speed up the timing a little more, so the outside light comes on more, before the inside light goes off.
From my understanding, it may be looking for four amps combined but since the circuit only effects the outer bulb by delaying it, I only need two amps to simulate that the one bulb is working as it should be.
brettsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #203
gutterball

The two lights are tied together, so it see's it as one circuit, (4 amps).Because the circuit is delayed, it is looking for 4 amps, but see's 2
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #204
sjmautoprod

Drives: '10 1LT
Right, and, with his load resistor added, it is 4.

sjmap.usinfo@sjmap.usGoogle+FacebookIRC Chat
Online ordering now available!
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote