Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Cam8
 
Cam8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Gray Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windermere
Posts: 198
Halo l.e.d.

Is there an easy way to swap the led in the halo and make them brighter? I have the gen5diy.com harness so that they are always on and just want something brighter
__________________
2014 Gray 2LT RS, 6M, Eibach Spings, Green Grill Light and Footwell Lighting
Cam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
christianmotox


 
christianmotox's Avatar
 
Drives: ( . )( . )
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,828
That would require you to remove the lights and open them up. not an easy task unfortunately. Most people just swap the Halo all together since they are opening the whole headlight anyway.
__________________
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
camaro_RS's Avatar
 
Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Emerald Coast
Posts: 3,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam8 View Post
Is there an easy way to swap the led in the halo and make them brighter? I have the gen5diy.com harness so that they are always on and just want something brighter
When you install JPD's colorshift halos you remove the factory LED and replace it with a multi-color LED. Don't see why you couldn't just put a brighter white LED in there if you could find one that is designed to fit in there.

Also, when you do that you do not have to bake open the headlights...which is nice.
__________________
-White Mary Jane....build thread [COTW 6/11/12] :

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
christianmotox


 
christianmotox's Avatar
 
Drives: ( . )( . )
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,828
Did you replace the Halo LED with out having to Pry open the housing?
__________________
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
camaro_RS's Avatar
 
Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Emerald Coast
Posts: 3,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Did you replace the Halo LED with out having to Pry open the housing?
Yeah. You unscrew the back part (there are 3 screws) and get to it from there. It's a small opening so you have to use a couple different tools but it wasn't too terrible.
__________________
-White Mary Jane....build thread [COTW 6/11/12] :

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
christianmotox


 
christianmotox's Avatar
 
Drives: ( . )( . )
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
Yeah. You unscrew the back part (there are 3 screws) and get to it from there. It's a small opening so you have to use a couple different tools but it wasn't too terrible.
that's cool, i didn't knew that.
I changed the whole Halo on mine so i had to pry open them.
__________________
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club
 
CrzyGamr2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 2,597
I wanna do this too because my fog light halos are brighter than my RS ones. Does anybody know who sells a brighter replacement LED? And possibly a write up to swap them out?
__________________
CrzyGamr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
CodyBanks
CodyBanks
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 110
AAC sells them

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...allcolors.aspx

You could pick what ever color you want. I guess in your case just white
CodyBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
camaro_RS's Avatar
 
Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Emerald Coast
Posts: 3,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBanks View Post
AAC sells them

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...allcolors.aspx

You could pick what ever color you want. I guess in your case just white
But you still have to bake open the light and replace the halo.
__________________
-White Mary Jane....build thread [COTW 6/11/12] :

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
C586
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBanks View Post
AAC sells them

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...allcolors.aspx

You could pick what ever color you want. I guess in your case just white
He is probably looking for something with some sort of quality. He won't get that with a AAC product. I would replace the led with something from oznium or superbrightled.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club
 
CrzyGamr2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
He is probably looking for something with some sort of quality. He won't get that with a AAC product. I would replace the led with something from oznium or superbrightled.
I actually have quite a few AAC products installed on my car already and have nothing but positive things to say about them, so yea.
Thanks for the suggestions though, cause I really want to make the RS halos brighter.


From my Camaro covered iPhone.
__________________
CrzyGamr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
Gator6977
 
Gator6977's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 331
You just need either a 3w or similar led. Search the diy section for pictures and details.
__________________
Gator6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
C586
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyGamr2 View Post
I actually have quite a few AAC products installed on my car already and have nothing but positive things to say about them, so yea.
Thanks for the suggestions though, cause I really want to make the RS halos brighter.


From my Camaro covered iPhone.
Your like 1 out of 4 or 5 that have had good luck with their crap. Your a lucky man. Good luck with the upgrades. Idk if you will need to get your own resistor or if the voltage is already regulated.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club
 
CrzyGamr2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
But you still have to bake open the light and replace the halo.
Which is what I don't want to do. Rules those out.
__________________
CrzyGamr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.