Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
keystonemedical
 
keystonemedical's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS /1997 SVT Cobra
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 8
What do you guys think ??

This is a pic of my passenger side cat that my wife bounced off of a speed bump a few days ago. Its scrapped and dented some. I have a 2012 SS with Dynatech Supermaxx headers with a Borla ATAK exhaust. Do you guys think I should buy a new cat and install it or leave it alone and run it. Im thinking about doing a pulley and cam in the spring and it might make sense at that point to go to SuperCats anyway.Should I be concerned about it being damaged internally ? Thanks........
Attached Images
 
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
IMPERIALBLUE2SS
 
Drives: 2010 imperial blue LS3 M6 2SSRS
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia beach Virginia
Posts: 189
Wouldn't worry about it.
IMPERIALBLUE2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
keystonemedical
 
keystonemedical's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS /1997 SVT Cobra
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPERIALBLUE2SS View Post
Wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for the reply, This is the first car I ever left the cats on before and read alot of horror stories about them plugging up on supercharged cars. The damage didnt look that bad to me, but a second set of eyes would make me feel better. Thanks again.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
FASTDIESEL
 
FASTDIESEL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: West Tennessee
Posts: 367
Don't know how much space is between the ceramic and the shell. At some point, I'd drop the exhaust and take a peek. Easy to do, and it would give you a warm-n-fuzzy feeling, knowing the brick is still in one piece!
__________________
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Vararam, Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune. LED DRLs w/ connector.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
keystonemedical
 
keystonemedical's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS /1997 SVT Cobra
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTDIESEL View Post
Don't know how much space is between the ceramic and the shell. At some point, I'd drop the exhaust and take a peek. Easy to do, and it would give you a warm-n-fuzzy feeling, knowing the brick is still in one piece!
Yeah, Im with ya... I have it on the lift now. My luck sucks with things like this so, better safe than sorry.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Placentia, CA
Posts: 2,112
I have the two rear cats from a v6 if you need one let me know.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
Soybeanrice
 
Soybeanrice's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 278
Your cat is fine. What you should do is check the upper side of your exhaust pipes for any dents as it could have collided into your frame. The frame wins.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
keystonemedical
 
keystonemedical's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS /1997 SVT Cobra
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
Your cat is fine. What you should do is check the upper side of your exhaust pipes for any dents as it could have collided into your frame. The frame wins.

Thanks for the info.. didnt think of that.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
keystonemedical
 
keystonemedical's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS /1997 SVT Cobra
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
I have the two rear cats from a v6 if you need one let me know.
Thanks for the offer. The way I looked at it was, the car is going back for a cam and pulley change and whatever else I would need to get me past 625 to the tires. Its at 515 right now, so if the cat was messed up, I was just going to put two of the SuperCats on it and call it a day.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #10
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad
 
Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 94
Concur with earlier posts. Nothing to worry about, but if you have a lift, pull it off and take a look for peace of mind. Personally, I wouldn't give it another thought.
__________________
Sold:
2007 Z06
2002 Viper GTS/ACR
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #11
Jsafe17
 
Jsafe17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 554
Yep its just fine.
Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 AM   #12
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Placentia, CA
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
Thanks for the offer. The way I looked at it was, the car is going back for a cam and pulley change and whatever else I would need to get me past 625 to the tires. Its at 515 right now, so if the cat was messed up, I was just going to put two of the SuperCats on it and call it a day.
There you go. Now you have an excuse to mod! If something changes let me know.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #13
keystonemedical
 
keystonemedical's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS /1997 SVT Cobra
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
There you go. Now you have an excuse to mod! If something changes let me know.
Thats sort of how I looked at it too !!!! Plus,, I can blame her when I walk in with a bill for over 5 grand !
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #14
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Placentia, CA
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
Thats sort of how I looked at it too !!!! Plus,, I can blame her when I walk in with a bill for over 5 grand !
Hell yeah I'm getting rid of my cats all together soon.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:24 PM   #15
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me
 
Homeless Man's Avatar
 
Drives: LS3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Streets of Philly
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
Yeah, Im with ya... I have it on the lift now. My luck sucks with things like this so, better safe than sorry.
This has nothing to do with luck. Rule number 1 u never let a female drive ur car!
__________________
Homeless Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #16
keystonemedical
 
keystonemedical's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS /1997 SVT Cobra
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Hell yeah I'm getting rid of my cats all together soon.
Jenner, this is the first toy that I ever left the cats on. Maybe, Im getting old but, I kinda like driving around and not getting that fuel smell in the car. As much as it goes against my normal thought process, Im going to keep them on ..
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #17
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Placentia, CA
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
Jenner, this is the first toy that I ever left the cats on. Maybe, Im getting old but, I kinda like driving around and not getting that fuel smell in the car. As much as it goes against my normal thought process, Im going to keep them on ..
This will be the first car that I completely remove the cats on. Hope the smell isn't too bad lol
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.