Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
going back to my JRE tune?

got the car dyno tuned a few months ago and they really made the shifts a lot firmer and im starting to really not like it. is getting rid of their tune as easy as setting it back to stock and then reloading the JRE tune into it with my STC programmer?

thanks guys!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Blake_GM

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS in IBM
That sucks man and I don't have the answer..but I just got mine tuned today. I wanted all shifts a bit firmer..but nothing crazy drastic in drive or sport. But in manual mode I went full bore. I love manual mode the most!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Denis

yea its kinda head jerking at times and i really worry about the longevity of the tranny now. and since the tune voided my warrenty, well lets just say im not to comfortable lol
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
yea its kinda head jerking at times and i really worry about the longevity of the tranny now. and since the tune voided my warrenty, well lets just say im not to comfortable lol
The tranny is underrated for a reason. Having second thoughts now is like regretting banging a supermodel.

That is the point of the tune for the tcm to make the shifts harder. I mean....isn't that what you paid for?

My trucks tranny can hold 100 rwhp over stock all day long....why not utilize it?
If jerky shifts aren't your thing you may be in the wrong car.

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Denis

the wrong car? i didnt spend 30 grand to have jerky shifts. i wanted more power and wanted to know the dyno numbers. thats why i got it dyno'd. and your trucks tranny is probably designed for that kind of stress. not really sure how the 6L80 is. and being able to withstand x amount of HP over stock really isnt the issue i have. its the shift firmness....im not a fan of how firm mine is.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
GaBoy25

Quote:
the wrong car? i didnt spend 30 grand to have jerky shifts. i wanted more power and wanted to know the dyno numbers. thats why i got it dyno'd. and your trucks tranny is probably designed for that kind of stress. not really sure how the 6L80 is. and being able to withstand x amount of HP over stock really isnt the issue i have. its the shift firmness....im not a fan of how firm mine is.
Understood. That being said they can adjust the shift points to make them smoother.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post
Understood. That being said they can adjust the shift points to make them smoother.
oh i totally understand...its just that the place is kinda far from me and being in the military i dont have a lot of free time during the week when theyre open.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
GaBoy25

And granted most of the gain on the l99 deals with the tranny. That's why the ls3 tunes are less efficient and net less gain. If your not willing to sacrifice in the tranny area it's best that you not tune the tcm.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
GaBoy25

Quote:
oh i totally understand...its just that the place is kinda far from me and being in the military i dont have a lot of free time during the week when theyre open.
That situation sucks man.

Thank you for your service.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
got the car dyno tuned a few months ago and they really made the shifts a lot firmer and im starting to really not like it. is getting rid of their tune as easy as setting it back to stock and then reloading the JRE tune into it with my STC programmer?

thanks guys!
If you did not do a return to stock, and the tuner is still married to the vehicle you should be able to just load Your JRE Custom tune back in.

If you ever have any concerns about JRE tuning Please don't hesitate to contact me via email tedj@jannettyracing.com

Are You Denis Ricker?

If so, I tuned your car nearly 2 years ago.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Sounds like they took all the TM out of it. Leaving a little TM in is a good thing for smooth shifting.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Did you pick up with the dyno tune? If you did, why not just touch up that tune. They might have taken out some or all of the torque management. I'd just reach out to them and ask them to revise some of it.

I've tuned my transmission 3 times now, trying stuff. We've got stuff in the car now for an article and I can tell I have to change at least one parameter.

Hot rodding is a journey, enjoy it.
12.37@112 1.85 | Headers, Cats | 555R DR | CAI | UDP | Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | +NT05R 18s | + Circle D 3200
11.84@113 1.59 | + 3.91s | +Race Star 17x7s
Mods: GPI Tune | Bo's PTB | Kooks LTs | Hooker Maxflows | Circle D 3200 | New Era OTR | RCR AirRam Manifold | Powerbond UDP | 3.91s
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
If you did not do a return to stock, and the tuner is still married to the vehicle you should be able to just load Your JRE Custom tune back in.

If you ever have any concerns about JRE tuning Please don't hesitate to contact me via email tedj@jannettyracing.com

Are You Denis Ricker?

If so, I tuned your car nearly 2 years ago.

Ted.
I did return it to stock prior to the dyno tune. Alan's no I'm not Denis ricker. Denis is just my name on here. Long story lol.

Shot ya an email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Did you pick up with the dyno tune? If you did, why not just touch up that tune. They might have taken out some or all of the torque management. I'd just reach out to them and ask them to revise some of it.

I've tuned my transmission 3 times now, trying stuff. We've got stuff in the car now for an article and I can tell I have to change at least one parameter.

Hot rodding is a journey, enjoy it.
Well like I said earlier the shop is about two hours away and my free time is very limited. So this is a simple solution in the mean time.

Last edited by Denis; 01-17-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
AiRDawG

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I had a similar dissatisfaction with my aggressive Trans tune after I had my car dyno tuned. I was worried that the shifts were just ripping my trans up. I even went so far as to buy my own HPTuners kit and then scour the C5 and HPT forums about the L99 and trans tuning, learning everything I could.

Turns out, that "slip shifts" or the smooth shifting you're used to on the stock settings, is actually BAD for the transmission by comparison, wearing your disks out faster. What feels like "power shifts" is actually your 6L80 shifting more along the way you should shift a manual, just faster, which is why it feels so jerky and agressive.

Personally, I still didn't like it.

I took my transmission tune back to stock, leaving the work my tuner did on the engine. I figured I could always add the trans tune back if I wanted to take it to the track, or when i don't have snow on the ground...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRDawG View Post
I had a similar dissatisfaction with my aggressive Trans tune after I had my car dyno tuned. I was worried that the shifts were just ripping my trans up. I even went so far as to buy my own HPTuners kit and then scour the C5 and HPT forums about the L99 and trans tuning, learning everything I could.

Turns out, that "slip shifts" or the smooth shifting you're used to on the stock settings, is actually BAD for the transmission by comparison, wearing your disks out faster. What feels like "power shifts" is actually your 6L80 shifting more along the way you should shift a manual, just faster, which is why it feels so jerky and agressive.

Personally, I still didn't like it.

I took my transmission tune back to stock, leaving the work my tuner did on the engine. I figured I could always add the trans tune back if I wanted to take it to the track, or when i don't have snow on the ground...
You are Correct it Was tearing up your trans, you did the right thing if your tuning your self.

There are only a small handful of people who Truly Understand the Logic of this TCM.

Me being one of them.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
AiRDawG

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I referenced this thread on the HPT forum:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3331

Last edited by AiRDawG; 01-29-2013 at 12:51 PM.
AiRDawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Instead of reflashing the tune when you want to go to the track just set it up so when in D it drives firm but not jerky then when in M(Sport) mode you can get more aggressive with it for track use or some spirited driving.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #18
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
Agreed, set it up were M is agressive, personally mine could be a bit more agressive for my taste, but Ted knows what he is doing. You should actually just be able to hook the SCT up and the SCT will think your dyno tune is your stock tune and save it. then load teds tune. Now if I could just get it to lay down another 100 hp...........
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote