Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Elite Catch Can Installation (LFX)

UPDATE: REVISED INSTALLATION PICTURES

I recently switched from RX to Elite catch can. Nothing was bad or wrong with the RX-it caught oil and worked great. I just preferred Elite's drain method of unscrewing the bottom and was willing to pay more for it. With the oil that I've seen, I cannot imagine waiting until the next oil change before draining. Both cans seem to be well-made and customer service from both companies are excellent. I believe the difference with RX is that they have check valves, more color options, forced induction support, and the drain tube.

The Elite can is smaller but feels a bit heavier. I went with electroless nickel fittings over the brass fittings. I like silver better and did not want chrome. I thought the texture of the can was cool. The logo is laser-etched. It looks like a piece of art. The can comes with 4 idiot-proof hose clamps for people like me. Extra catch can hose would be nice but it's not that expensive at the store. Installation diagram is easy to understand.

Pictured is the prototype bracket for the LFX. It is installed on the engine cover mount. If the bracket is installed the other way, the engine cover will hit the can. The bracket will not fit underneath the engine cover mount, only on top. The LLT "L" bracket does not work because the radiator shroud is different for 2012. You could install the Elite can where most RX V6 cans are usually mounted but the higher location provides easier access and feels more secure. You'll need two L-shaped fittings. The top fitting is turned to the left and the side fitting is turned slightly up. The PCV line is moved to the left for hose test-fitment. I then tucked the PCV line slightly under the engine cover. You will want to keep checking clearance with your engine cover before making any final cuts to the hoses or PCV lines.

(You can tuck the tube back under the cover but will probably need to be zip-tied to the other tube to stay in place.)

Last edited by jameslk55; 03-03-2013 at 02:32 PM.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Nice!

Is your cover support bolt actually touching the engine cover? If not, what is holding the engine cover up off of it?

Last edited by intensifi; 01-17-2013 at 05:15 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
That looks great!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
jcsuddre

Drives: 2014 crystal red ss/rs
2 questions that may sound dumb. What is a catch can and what is its purpose? Last question is something i have always wondered since opening my engine cover a week or 2 ago. What is the black thing on the very top of the engine once the cover is removed as seen in the op first picture.
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsuddre View Post
2 questions that may sound dumb. What is a catch can and what is its purpose? Last question is something i have always wondered since opening my engine cover a week or 2 ago. What is the black thing on the very top of the engine once the cover is removed as seen in the op first picture.
Modern engines feature a variety of emission control devices and systems to reduce the toxic gases released into the atmosphere. One of these is called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. During the combustion process a small amount of gases leak or "blow-by" the piston rings and create a positive pressure in the crankcase. The PCV system vents these gases along with oil mist from the crankcase and routes it back into the intake manifold so it can be burned off. The problem is, over time the excess oil vapor builds up and forms "gunk" along the inside of the intake tract and on the intake valves. This can lead to a variety of issues including carbon build up, retarded timing, detonation, and power loss.

A "catch can" is an aftermarket device that will condense and collect the oil vapor before it has a chance to reach the intake system. As the gases and oil vapor enter the can they typically pass through a screening mechanism that gives the oil vapor something to adhere to. As the droplets form they drop harmlessly into the bottom of the reservoir so that they can later be drained. The other gases are allowed to pass through so that they can be burned of as intended.

When it comes to selecting a catch can you will get what you pay for. Cheap catch cans (less than $100) are plentiful but they are often little more than an empty can with two ports. These will capture a small amount of oil but the vast majority passes straight through. Be sure that the can is designed with an internal baffling system to pull the oil vapor out of suspension. RX Performance and Elite Engineering are both great options for Camaro owners.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
That black thing you see under the engine cover is the intake manifold on the 12-+ V6 Camaros Chevy switched to a LFX motor which features a composite manifold unlike the LLT motor that was used in the 10-11 camaros that has a metal one.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
speedygonzales

Drives: 99 z71, 2012 LT
Quote:
2 questions that may sound dumb. What is a catch can and what is its purpose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Modern engines feature a variety of emission control devices and systems to reduce the toxic gases released into the atmosphere. One of these is called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. During the combustion process a small amount of gases leak or "blow-by" the piston rings and create a positive pressure in the crankcase. The PCV system vents these gases along with oil mist from the crankcase and routes it back into the intake manifold so it can be burned off. The problem is, over time the excess oil vapor builds up and forms "gunk" along the inside of the intake tract and on the intake valves. This can lead to a variety of issues including carbon build up, retarded timing, detonation, and power loss.
Not taking away from Chase but merely wanted to add, that in the LFX engine, unlike a normal injected engine. The LFX is direct injected. Meaning that instead of spraying the fuel behind the intake valve, it sprays directly into the cylinder. So a normal engine has a small amount of "washing" to the intake valve and the carbon does not build up near as fast as a direct injected engine. Which does NOT spray behind the intake valve. So a catch can is much more important on these direct injected engines.
speedygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Bradrulz

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT IOM
Great pics. My Elite can has been performing great. Couldn't be happier and super easy to empty.
MRT2.0 with Helmholtz Pipes, Cold Air Inductions CAI, 4-Pack Gauges, Flat Black Stripes, Added Spare Tire Kit, Elite Catch Can, Chrome 20" Wheels, HUD, ABL Doors, GM Dovetail, Matte Black Gills, Rear Fascia Blackout
Bradrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
jameslk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Nice!

Is your cover support bolt actually touching the engine cover? If not, what is holding the engine cover up off of it?
Thanks for the compliments and thanks for pointing this out, Jeff. In my previous installation, the engine cover was not fully snapped on. The top inlet connection is now turned to the left so that the hose clears the engine cover.

Added revised installation pictures in the original post.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
James,

Thanks for the great pictures and write-up!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Calikenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
James,

Thanks for the great pictures and write-up!
Hi Steve...like James, I have an LFX engine. Has the new prototype bracket that james has pictures of been finalized and ready for shipping, or is this still being tested? Also, is the new location of the bracket (engine cover support bolt) better than the old location (by the Front radiator frame)? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #12
Chevyman2

Drives: 2014 C7(awaiting delivery)

Last edited by Chevyman2; 01-25-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
Not taking away from Chase but merely wanted to add, that in the LFX engine, unlike a normal injected engine. The LFX is direct injected. Meaning that instead of spraying the fuel behind the intake valve, it sprays directly into the cylinder. So a normal engine has a small amount of "washing" to the intake valve and the carbon does not build up near as fast as a direct injected engine. Which does NOT spray behind the intake valve. So a catch can is much more important on these direct injected engines.
100% correct. And modern engines seem to all be going in this direction.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
jameslk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
Hi Steve...like James, I have an LFX engine. Has the new prototype bracket that james has pictures of been finalized and ready for shipping, or is this still being tested? Also, is the new location of the bracket (engine cover support bolt) better than the old location (by the Front radiator frame)? Thanks in advance!
I've heard from Steve that "this will probably be the final bracket with a few modifications, smaller large hole and rounded corners." However, intensifi and I both suggest that the bracket could be slightly longer so that it's farther away from the engine cover. You can still drain the can the way it is in the pictures but the fitment is a little tight. It might be a little more aesthetically pleasing to have the can fully exposed instead of partially covered.

Not sure if the engine cover support bolt is "better" than the front radiator frame. It's just not possible, or difficult, with the redesign of the old location. It's definitely a better location than the one down below:

Driver side mount would work fine if it's available but I don't like the long hose setup.

Last edited by jameslk55; 01-24-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Calikenn

Man you guys did a great job on this. Thanks for the pics! Yeah, it looks like a little more clearance might be more aesthetically pleasing and practical for poeple with fat hands like me! This is going to be a nice addition to my engine bay. Nice write up.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Great thread and install pics, well done.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
I have a elite on a lfx and had to mount it with a different bolt on radiator bolt. Where is and when can I get the proper mount because where it is now can get the bottom unscrewed. Please help thanks
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues45th View Post
Guess not huh
Contact Steve at Elite Engineering. He can hook you up with the new bracket.

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
bookmark
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Blues45th

What a great great company. Already spoke to them and new bracket is in the mail. That's how it should be. Thank you Elite. Great can and great customer service. I recommend there can to Any and everyone. Is not hallow like so so so many others. I've cut one open to see. It was empty. Meaning just a can lol. Be careful! Things aren't always as they seem
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
rush2112

Drives: 2013 2LT Auto CRM. 2009 night train
This is the one mod I need to do. Cost?
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #22
steel insane

Drives: 2012 2LT Black (Vengeance)
How often do you have to empty the can?
steel insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #23
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel insane View Post
How often do you have to empty the can?
Most people I know with cc's change every oil change or so, but I change my can and my dads because I know when they need to be drained based on the miles and driving
Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
Blues45th

So went to switch brackets. Only had two months. Yuck wow full of shit
Old 03-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
len_eng

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Crystal Red, 1994 Z28,
I installed my catch can today. This is my first mod. Thanks for the pictures, they really helped. My car is absolutely stock so it is really tight. I guess I will have to look into a new intake tube to perhaps open things up a little.
len_eng is offline   Reply With Quote