Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
david068513
Z28Kid

Drives: 1992 z28
1LE?

I have been thinking about this lately...anyone think they will ever do this. Light weight race car style? better susp. etc.? a stripper car.

also anyone know when the vert is coming out and also if they will produce a z28 vert?
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'd heavily bet against it any time soon. Too many orders would be placed, and GM isn't ready to fill all of those special orders as regular market orders. If demand falls in a few years, maybe GM will consider the possibility, but I would rather get a Pedders suspension on my own.

The convertible is about a year out. I'm uncertain of a Z28 convertible timeframe.
The_Blur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
david068513
Z28Kid

Drives: 1992 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'd heavily bet against it any time soon. Too many orders would be placed, and GM isn't ready to fill all of those special orders as regular market orders. If demand falls in a few years, maybe GM will consider the possibility, but I would rather get a Pedders suspension on my own.

The convertible is about a year out. I'm uncertain of a Z28 convertible timeframe.
thanks for your thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARME View Post
No thanks. Just make the z28 and my SS faster please.
wow, Some people like the old race car feel. They also hold there value better cause there different and the older ones are worth twice as much as a regular car.
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
I absolutely love the idea of a 1LE package. Less frills, suspension upgrade, and stuff like that.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
MikeZ28

Drives: '04 GTO, '00 Z28, '95 Z28
GM doesn't seem to do "stripper" performance cars anymore, if anything they are going in the other direction. (Like how they recently killed the Z51 performance package you could get on a base C6 vette, now you have to buy the more expensive Gran Sport model to get the same stuff.)
MikeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
I would prefer a 1LE package.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Recluse

Drives: Considering a Camaro
I'd definitely be interested.
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
1SS is as close as it gets. I thought they couldnt be more awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I wondered that a while back, check out some of the responses from back then.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45160
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
Recluse

Drives: Considering a Camaro
That older thread was pretty interesting.

That said, I couldn't do without A/C. The summer here is both brutally hot and humid.

Otherwise, I could do without power windows, power locks, a radio, cruise control, etc.
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjray View Post
There is a 1991 1LE on the indianapolis craigslist for $15,900 and i am tempted to buy it because it is 1 of 478. Anything unique or sleeper has always interested me. Blue Book on a Z28 with these specs would be $3200 private party. I dont think the asking price is too much since one is on ebay for buy it now of 29,900!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...fCarsQ5fTrucks

Only 12,452 z28 were produced. Thats 3.8% of the z28s. They are on pace to produce 103,000 camaros in the first year of production. They produced 100,838 Camaros in 1991.

Seems like a 1 of 500 tag would work. Do it similar to the g8 1 of 888 custom badges. Skip the AC, use the v6 body work, ss brakes, engine, nice tranny cooler (auto), oil cooler, adjustable shocks, big sway bars, stiff springs, skip bluetooth, no radio, no shark fin, standard spoiler, no engine cover, c6 exhaust tips, no onstar, lose power seats for standard ones, etc... Just a start to the wish list!

Its fine if your not into the idea but i bet theres at least 500 that are.

Does anyone know if GM used the B4C for the new Police Camaros?
+ heavy duty alternator.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended

Drives: Daily
"1LE" would be a great "identifier" for the equivalent of what Mustang sells as a "Track Pack"...upgraded suspension for BOTH SS and V6 w/RS (w/Brembos?)...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Similar to a B4C police version...I like the package on this used pd car I found for sale at http://swps.com/usedpdcar.html
Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended

Drives: Daily
Quote:
The solstice sold 1/5 to 1/10 the number of cars the Camaro is/will. It seems like it should be 5 to 10 times more likely than the odds were for that kit showing up on the Solstice.
Fortunately, the Solstice Brand Team, and Pontiac, WANTED the Package.

It's not clear the Camaro folks agree... Making THIS car into a Showroom Stock contender will require their interest and budget in "homolagating" some necessary "upgrades". With previous 1LEs constituting less than 1% of total sales, it'll be hard for them to commit development buck$ to "raise the sales bar" so little...

The emphasis needs to be on the V6 versions to get supplier commitments, and CAFE, in line with their original business case of 60/40 V6 to V8. Putting a "Track Pack" competitor together with suspension and Brembo upgrades just might "market drive" a goodly number of V6s off the lots...

Springs/Bushings/Bars/Brembos, on top of the RS Package, for $1500 Retail sounds about right...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
Could you imagine this car at 3000 lbs?
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
Could you imagine this car at 3000 lbs?
A 6th gen Camaro built off the Alpha platform should yield a lighter car. By then one would think/expect better fuel efficiency should be possible with same/better power as the current car and an available performance suspension package option.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:10 AM   #17
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I think you would have to sell more than 500 to make it profitable, and GM is kinda interested in profits at the moment.

Keep in mind, as I have said before in similar threads, every time you make something specific to a certain version of camaro, you increase the cost of ALL models of Camaros because it is one more part you have to stock, or one different step on a streamlined assembly, or one different wiring harness, etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
I think you would have to sell more than 500 to make it profitable, and GM is kinda interested in profits at the moment.

Keep in mind, as I have said before in similar threads, every time you make something specific to a certain version of camaro, you increase the cost of ALL models of Camaros because it is one more part you have to stock, or one different step on a streamlined assembly, or one different wiring harness, etc etc.
They could share parts from the Fleet division e.g. police vehicles. Those fleet vehicles usually have heavy duty suspensions, different no-frills wheel/tire packages, heavy duty brakes, HD alternator, HD battery, and XM and Onstar delete options.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #19
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Quote:
Isn't the Corvette over 3000 lbs?
about 3200lbs
Old 12-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
bballr4567

Drives: 2006 GTO
Quote:
If they put Brembos on the V6 can they at least make them stop squeeking? My sisters 2ss sounds like Jeff Gordon pulling into the pits whenever she stops.

Didn't they make the suspension parts on the old 1LE available from GM Performance parts as an upgrade to non 1LE cars?
Yes, you could buy the parts over the counter IF you knew the part numbers. Back in 98-02 not many people did because the internet wasnt known so it was basically a back door type of order. Only way to know what it was, you had to have an inside guy.

1LE option would be amazing. Give the Camaro a "track pack" and watch how many people will check the box. I read somewhere that Ford is expecting like 20k orders of the track pack. That is A LOT of extra cash going into the car.

Also, they are Brembos!! They will squeak. That means they are working. Cant have awesome braking without the noise. Either take the noise or get worse braking.

BTW, Had a ZR1 pull up next to me about 3 weeks ago and talk about loud braking. However, they stop in an ungodly amount of time.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #21
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
They could share parts from the Fleet division e.g. police vehicles. Those fleet vehicles usually have heavy duty suspensions, different no-frills wheel/tire packages, heavy duty brakes, HD alternator, HD battery, and XM and Onstar delete options.
Heavy duty suspensions does not a sports car maketh.

Other than that, yeah they have Onstar delete options in these vehicles, but what I am saying is that changing even a minor thing like not having onstar and maybe not having power heated mirrors would require possibly a different wiring harness. The factory would also have to stock extra parts that they don't normally have.

If the '1LE' had no radio/XM/onstar, they would need to stock another roof panel that didn't have a hole stamped in it for the shark fin, or they would have to develop a 'plug' for the hole, and then that's ANOTHER part that they have to research and make.

No power windows means you'd need a different wiring harness and you would also have to have 2 different types of door panels: Ones with holes for power window buttons, and ones with no holes for power window buttons but holes for window cranks.

And any time that GM deviates from the norm and makes another option, the process gets one step less streamlined. Losing efficiency and having to take extra time installing different wiring harnesses and making sure you have enough non-power window door panels costs GM more money per car. This cost gets passed on to everyone buying ANY type of camaro.

As the Fbodfather has said on here before, when the Camaro was still in development, the accountants were almost getting into fistfights over items that were raising the production costs by a few cents.

For the very small amount of people that would want a 'stripper' car like the OP is suggesting and I am commenting on, GM will not turn a profit on it, and the money they lose on such a venture will get passed on to my fellow Camaro buyers.

Now on the topic of a TRACK-PACK: Yeah if GM wanted to make something like that availiable as an option on EVERY model of Camaro, I could see that turning a profit, because it is something available to everyone ordering a Camaro

Quote:
Old 12-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #22
bballr4567

Rental fleet cars already have the onstar delete in them so they are already stocking the parts.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #23
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Heavy duty suspensions does not a sports car maketh.

Other than that, yeah they have Onstar delete options in these vehicles, but what I am saying is that changing even a minor thing like not having onstar and maybe not having power heated mirrors would require possibly a different wiring harness. The factory would also have to stock extra parts that they don't normally have.

If the '1LE' had no radio/XM/onstar, they would need to stock another roof panel that didn't have a hole stamped in it for the shark fin, or they would have to develop a 'plug' for the hole, and then that's ANOTHER part that they have to research and make.

No power windows means you'd need a different wiring harness and you would also have to have 2 different types of door panels: Ones with holes for power window buttons, and ones with no holes for power window buttons but holes for window cranks.

And any time that GM deviates from the norm and makes another option, the process gets one step less streamlined. Losing efficiency and having to take extra time installing different wiring harnesses and making sure you have enough non-power window door panels costs GM more money per car. This cost gets passed on to everyone buying ANY type of camaro.

As the Fbodfather has said on here before, when the Camaro was still in development, the accountants were almost getting into fistfights over items that were raising the production costs by a few cents.

For the very small amount of people that would want a 'stripper' car like the OP is suggesting and I am commenting on, GM will not turn a profit on it, and the money they lose on such a venture will get passed on to my fellow Camaro buyers.

Now on the topic of a TRACK-PACK: Yeah if GM wanted to make something like that availiable as an option on EVERY model of Camaro, I could see that turning a profit, because it is something available to everyone ordering a Camaro
By heavy duty suspension I was referring to parts such as sway bars that improve handling...these parts are standard in police vehicles that need to maintain handling at high speeds. And that my man is VERY MUCH part of what makes a sports car! If you don't know that, then there is no sense commenting further. As for the 1LE option, GM's fleet division already has parts that could be used. Really, it would not be that difficult to put together the package.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #24
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
By heavy duty suspension I was referring to parts such as sway bars that improve handling...these parts are standard in police vehicles that need to maintain handling at high speeds. And that my man is VERY MUCH part of what makes a sports car! If you don't know that, then there is no sense commenting further. As for the 1LE option, GM's fleet division already has parts that could be used. Really, it would not be that difficult to put together the package.
Hey sorry I misunderstood you through the magic of internet typing. I take "Heavy Duty" suspension to mean that it takes more of a beating and is actually made for supporting a heavier weight (Like on a truck or all the extra weight of police gear).

And I am not saying they don't already have some of the parts they might need. I am also not saying it wouldn't be easy to put together. It is relatively easy to get some new parts made in the grand scheme of things.

What I am saying is that it will be difficult to make a profit off of the low sales volume that having such an option would generate. And that more diversity equals a higher cost for all Camaro models.

I think that suspension/performance wise, GM would do best by mimicing Ford and making a Track-Pack type option that adds handling components and maybe some shorter gearing. Not a whole lot of people are interested in taking options like A/C off their cars anymore.

GM isn't really jumping back into low volume niche vehicles/models right now. They need to make a profit before they can start playing this game. If they could make niche vehicles, we'd know cause the Z/28 would be announced already.

Quote:
Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #25
bballr4567

Cant make niche vehicles but they are making the CTS Wagon and the CTS Coupe along with V variants of both? If that isnt niche I dont know what is.

I do see what you are saying though.