Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Bolt-on v. SC Tune

I currently have standard bolt-ons installed (intake through exhaust) on the car with a dyno tune. Just got my Vortech in the mail which comes with a tuner and generic tune. My dyno guy is over an hour away and not sure how long it will take me to get down there again for a re-tune. I'm wondering three things:

1 - Would it be better to install the SC and leave the dyno bolt-on tune in place or overwrite that one and go with the included SC tune which doesn't account for the bolt-ons?

2 - Will the hand held tuner be effective at changing everything that my dyno tuner changed initially?

3 - Considering the correct answer, will the car still be safe to daily drive?

My intuition is telling me that since the SC has such an impact on the A/F ratio than the bolt-ons, to prevent going way lean I may wish to go with the included SC tune.

Thanks.
Upgraded Vortech V3 Si || Comp Blower Cam || Eibach Lowering Springs || Black Heritage Grill || ARH 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ X-Pipe and Gutted HF Cats & Muffler Delete || Hand Ported/Polished TB || Barton Short Throw w/ Custom Maltese Pistol Grip

WTB: 1000HP Axles, Driveshaft - PM Me

650RWHP - Daily Driver
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
you need to go with the sc tune, it is not going to run well otherwise. do not worry about the other tune

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
I currently have standard bolt-ons installed (intake through exhaust) on the car with a dyno tune. Just got my Vortech in the mail which comes with a tuner and generic tune. My dyno guy is over an hour away and not sure how long it will take me to get down there again for a re-tune. I'm wondering three things:

1 - Would it be better to install the SC and leave the dyno bolt-on tune in place or overwrite that one and go with the included SC tune which doesn't account for the bolt-ons?

2 - Will the hand held tuner be effective at changing everything that my dyno tuner changed initially?

3 - Considering the correct answer, will the car still be safe to daily drive?

My intuition is telling me that since the SC has such an impact on the A/F ratio than the bolt-ons, to prevent going way lean I may wish to go with the included SC tune.

Thanks.
You will have to install the Vortech tune to get the car running.

Your Local Tuner must have and be familiar with SCT tuning software in order to make use of the SCT handheld device.

I suppose there is a chance the kit came with a Diablo tuner vs the SCT but the same rules above apply he must have and be familiar with the Diablo Software.

The car will be fairly safe to drive with the Vortech tune but you will get codes due to your other mods.

I can provide a Very high quality Custom tune to work with all of your mods together as a Unit via Email and Your hand Held Vortech Tuner regardless of the brand.

Let me know If I can be of assistance.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Infern0
Bring It

Thanks, J.

It is an SCT tuner. I would use that as you said, to get my car running and to buy myself some time before I am able to make it down to my tuner. It should be safe to daily drive in the meantime, right? Once I make it down there he'd be able to use whatever he used before to tune the car, right? He wouldn't be stuck using my new SCT? I imagine I would just sell the SCT in that case.
Upgraded Vortech V3 Si || Comp Blower Cam || Eibach Lowering Springs || Black Heritage Grill || ARH 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ X-Pipe and Gutted HF Cats & Muffler Delete || Hand Ported/Polished TB || Barton Short Throw w/ Custom Maltese Pistol Grip

650RWHP - Daily Driver
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Quote:
Thanks, J.

It is an SCT tuner. I would use that as you said, to get my car running and to buy myself some time before I am able to make it down to my tuner. It should be safe to daily drive in the meantime, right? Once I make it down there he'd be able to use whatever he used before to tune the car, right? He wouldn't be stuck using my new SCT? I imagine I would just sell the SCT in that case.
It would be foolish to sell the SCT as it is a Very Powerful tool to keep in the car, It reads and clears codes, you can Data log with it to check your tune.

And I can Remote tune your car with it.

Having tuned over 1300 Gen5 Camaros I don't think you will find a more experienced tuner.

No you will not be forced to use the SCT tuner to tune the car, you will have to do a return to stock before he tunes it to free up the tuner if you are still thinking about selling it.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
Performance Parts
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Listen to Ted bro. I put the same SC on my 2012 and Ted has been working with me on datalogging and his tunes are great. Car ran good from the start up tune and way way better now that I'm on the third revision. I daily drive mine too so I know how concerned you are but Ted will get you right.
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
EliteCZM523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Put the canned tune in, stay out of boost till its tuned on the dyno and you should be ok.
ARH 1 7/8 w/ cats, Borla ATAK Axle Back, VaraRam, ECS Cam, JDP Halo Kit, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Ghosted SMD Side Markers, Reverse Lights, P13W Plasma DRL's, DRL Harness, Kenwood 9990HD, Scosche Kit, and tons more
EliteCZM523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Infern0
Bring It

Thanks for the responses. Appreciate the info.

Ted would be a good way to go, I agree. Though my original tuner has a nominal re-tune fee (if any).

650RWHP - Daily Driver
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Appreciate the info.

Ted would be a good way to go, I agree. Though my original tuner has a nominal re-tune fee (if any).
I don't know how you can Beat free, and retunes are only necessary if you change something.

Buy that something from me and the tune Update is FREE..

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
Performance Parts
Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Infern0
Bring It

Indeed you cannot. But in the sense that I have already paid for a tune, it wouldn't be free to switch to yours. And even then not free until the next time I needed; and even the amortized cost for switching to yours would still exist. I over complicate things, I know. It's my cross to bear.

650RWHP - Daily Driver