Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Borla Exhausts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 01-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
RS Minus

Drives: 2014 CamaroSS 2ss (rs-)
An OLD "newb" with some questions

Looking through many threads on this forum I have seen where the majority of owners subscribe to the "make the car your own" theory of ownership. My hot-rodding days were in the late 60's (409 Chevy) just before Uncle Sam tapped me on the shoulder. A lot has changed since then. So, now I have a '14 SS that I would like to "gently" mod. The problem from where I sit is that I live in Vermont and while we don't have the same bunch of bureaucrats as California, ie, CARB, the State does follow to the point that I feel it should be called California East! My question is this, How do you change the operating parameters of the engine (cold air systems, modified intakes, headers, etc) so that when the Inspection Station plugs into the OBD port, the device doesn't go TILT and you get a big fail for your vehicle inspection? I think my question would be most apropos to those that own modified cars that are registered in California. I hate appearing stupid but I just have no idea how you can get around these inspection criteria when just having a TPM light on is enough to fail inspection Thanks for any insight.
Roy
RS Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
“Welcome to the party, pal.”
-John McClane

Most of the inspection stations only gig you if your check engine light is on, or if your mods are obvious, i.e. exhaust way too loaud
Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 99 Silverado
welcome to comedy central. I should think that a tune would keep the bad guys at bay. and, "she's real fine my 409."
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
The codes you get are based upon the rear oxygen sensors. They're only there to check catalytic converter efficiency or function. The fronts are the ones that confirm and adjust the actual AFR. When you get a tune any decent tuner turns the rear sensors to non-report so they don't show up as an error. An OBD check will not show anything out of the ordinary. Adjusting the MAF sensor for an intake or a full custom tune for a camshaft doesn't alter any of the emission items that an OBD emission scan checks for.

Bottom line is any decent tuner can set you up with whatever you want and pass emissions. If they do an actual sniffer test then you need to be upfront with your tuner. Your camshaft selection and AFR chosen will matter a lot more but its still doable with good catalytic converters like Kooks green cats.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
RS Minus

Drives: 2014 CamaroSS 2ss (rs-)
Thank-you for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
The codes you get are based upon the rear oxygen sensors. They're only there to check catalytic converter efficiency or function. The fronts are the ones that confirm and adjust the actual AFR. When you get a tune any decent tuner turns the rear sensors to non-report so they don't show up as an error. An OBD check will not show anything out of the ordinary. Adjusting the MAF sensor for an intake or a full custom tune for a camshaft doesn't alter any of the emission items that an OBD emission scan checks for.

Bottom line is any decent tuner can set you up with whatever you want and pass emissions. If they do an actual sniffer test then you need to be upfront with your tuner. Your camshaft selection and AFR chosen will matter a lot more but its still doable with good catalytic converters like Kooks green cats.
Thank-you Synner for the info.
At least now I have an idea of what is involved. For the last twenty years, I drove a vehicle into the inspection station and would NEVER consider doing anything that might affect the emissions scan. I really had NO idea how people modified vehicles in states that have very stringent rules. I can see now that there is some wiggle room. I really appreciate the info.
Thank-you
RS Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
The computer throws a code if something goes out of a specific range or condition, getting a tune rewrites the range so all is good. A very simplified version of what happens.

This assumes everything else in your car is in good working order like fuel evap codes aren't on.

But I agree, I miss the days of carb and distributor.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote