Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Kutch is it coming off at the seam between the parking light and the spoiler or the seem that runs front to back above the parking ? Hope you all get them touched up an to your liking

Last edited by 69 Hugger; 07-29-2009 at 04:34 PM.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #27
67/10 RS/SS

Drives: lots!
In discussion with the dealer they reported the problem to GM. While on they wer on the phone with GM they were told that GM would pay for repainting. I took a couple hours to think about painting completely or touching up and getting the right fix later. I decided to just have it touched up and see what "fix" would be found.

In the meantime, GM called the dealer back and asked them to contact me. When i got to the dealership they had done nothing to to bumper. GM wants the faulty bumper for investigatin but wanted me to be happy. They are providing a completely new bumper and taking the bumper back with the flaking. All other dealers have "fixed" the problem by painting or touching up the area before GM could get the bad bumper. They (GM QC) are taking the bad bumper back to evaluate it and make a decision as to the correct final solution. I will post information as I get it. GM really appears to want this, and anything else found, to be fixed to OUR satistaction. Maybe it really is the "new" GM!!! I have purchased nothing but GM for 30 years and have purchased other vehicles that were "new" and was never treated this good!
67/10 RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #28
guppies1

Drives: Toyota
I want to get a Camaro so bad a month ago. Now I am glad I found this site and found out there are so many problems with this. Not good for GM at all.
guppies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #29
67/10 RS/SS

Guppies, if you are familiar with ANY manufacturer and releasing a new model you would know that these "problems" are not limited to GM or the Camaro. My sister got a little BMW when they first came out. Same thing, little problems that were really nothing overall. My wifes brother has had trouble with a Toyota that is in multi year production. I was personally involved in the start up of both Beretta/Corsica plants in 1985. Even bought one of the first Beretta GT's. Same thing, little issues. It was really a great car too. If you are scared, wait a year. I have also owned many new vehicles that were many years in production that had problems. Vendors change, colors change, options change, materials change. The only way to know success is get a lot of product out in the field. This isn't any different than Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, or any other manufacturer.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #30
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
67/10 RS/SS: Exactly!

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #31
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
Ya'll don't feed the troll, look at all his post he just looks for problems to point out and smart off.

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #32
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67/10 RS/SS View Post
In discussion with the dealer they reported the problem to GM. While on they wer on the phone with GM they were told that GM would pay for repainting. I took a couple hours to think about painting completely or touching up and getting the right fix later. I decided to just have it touched up and see what "fix" would be found.

In the meantime, GM called the dealer back and asked them to contact me. When i got to the dealership they had done nothing to to bumper. GM wants the faulty bumper for investigatin but wanted me to be happy. They are providing a completely new bumper and taking the bumper back with the flaking. All other dealers have "fixed" the problem by painting or touching up the area before GM could get the bad bumper. They (GM QC) are taking the bad bumper back to evaluate it and make a decision as to the correct final solution. I will post information as I get it. GM really appears to want this, and anything else found, to be fixed to OUR satistaction. Maybe it really is the "new" GM!!! I have purchased nothing but GM for 30 years and have purchased other vehicles that were "new" and was never treated this good!
Sounds like GM wants to check it out to see if it's their problem or the Suppliers.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #33
67/10 RS/SS

I know on other vehicles with the automated paint systems certain colors, combinations, and base materials have been a challenge. H-D had serious issues with their anniversary black and silver combination. I was told by a H-D engineer we were working with that they were using the same process that BMW used and BMW had, or was considering aborting.

It could be any number or things ranging from contamination to incompatibility of materials to vibration of the parts. One of our customers is a supplier of trim components who we have worked closely wihth over the last 5 years. They get calls from their customers occasionally because the product is better quality than the vehicle!! They considered putting in automation to help fix orange peel but were told by their customers not to. They serve both domestic and transplants so it isn't just one or the other.

At least this flaking is not as bad as the 83 conversion van we had. Got a call that there was a possible paint problem on horizontal surfaces. The entire roof of the van had the paint litterally come off in a single sheet! We were lucky that it happened when they fixed it as the dealer told us others had it come off on the road. I was told they found a problem with the primer and use with automation.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #34
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67/10 RS/SS View Post
We have the same problem. Victory red, it started on one side and has now moved to the other. Dealer is reviewing it and talking to GM. They are suspecting an alignment issue and not necessarily a paint/prep problem. All the flaking is down in the joint between the bumper and quarter and all flaking is on the bumper (plastic). The bottom line, the bumper won't rust, and they will have to fix it as long as we own the car now that it is documented. Lemon? nah..just an inconvenience.
I've had my car for just over two weeks and I've noticed the paint peeling off on my drives rear quarter as well. I need to take it into the dealer to have it looked at.

Is there a bulletin on this at all, or did your dealers know off hand what to do? I don't want a simple re-paint, I would like the issue resolved.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #35
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I've had my car for just over two weeks and I've noticed the paint peeling off on my drives rear quarter as well. I need to take it into the dealer to have it looked at.

Is there a bulletin on this at all, or did your dealers know off hand what to do? I don't want a simple re-paint, I would like the issue resolved.
I saw a used one on the lot with that problem today. Is this what it looks like or is it even worse? I can understand a new owner wanting it to be perfect but I almost think I'd just live with this problem. Maybe it's just my personality not caring about a few little things that make no difference.

Last edited by camero; 08-09-2009 at 06:46 PM.
camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #36
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppies1 View Post
I want to get a Camaro so bad a month ago. Now I am glad I found this site and found out there are so many problems with this. Not good for GM at all.
Let me get this straight. 30,000 Camaros so far and only two pages of problems on this thread? I, for one, have found NOTHING wrong with mine. No pinging, clicking, peeling, poking, protruding, or popping.

Not dismissing anyone who has found flaws, but let's keep this in perspective.

:troll:
Old 08-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #37
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
This is a really good thread to inform us of others findings as they get comfortable with their new cars. Without repeating all of the support for GM and their R&D division requesting parts be sent in for investigation, let me give you a body/painters perspective.

1. ABS adhesive agent failure (third party)
2. ABS Plastic failure/Chemical flaw (third party)
3. Bad batch of paint (third party)

That is what R&D wants to figure out. Let them do their work and continue to provide the services that they have to us. Why else would we pay $35K+ for a car?

Answer: Because we know its gonna get done right. Just have to let them look into it.

Camaro5 Fest 2010 Panogram Photo of the Host Hotel
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #38
craigger

Drives: 2010 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
I saw a used one on the lot with that problem today. Is this what it looks like or is it even worse? I can understand a new owner wanting it to be perfect but I almost think I'd just live with this problem. Maybe it's just my personality not caring about a few little things that make no difference.

Great pic, camero! That is the same exact problem I have on my Silver Ice Metallic car, but I am just going to wait it out and get fixed later because it's not a huge inconvenience.
craigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #39
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
Camero,

that is exactly the problem, great picture, we got ours painted after having the car awhile. People need to look for this issue. It's not a show stopper but there is something in the essembly process causing it.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #40
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
I had the same problem in the same area. Dealer advised they would remove rear bumper panel and repaint to fix the problem. I decided to wait and see if it gets worse before repainting the entire rear end. Dealer said this type of flaw is covered under GM's 3yr/36K warranty and can be fixed at anytime during the warranty period.

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #41
1fine69

Drives: '69 Camaro,'02-Z28,2010 2SS/RS
Got my 2SS/RS 3 weeks ago and dealer has had it more than me! Anyone have a CD player not working? Didn't work from day one! The display shows a CD in but when you press eject it says CD ERROR. They are replcing it today (HOPEFULLY) Also having paint problems: It is RJT and has 8 different spots over the entire car...looks like dirt in the paint...also has 2 drips (hood and rear quarter panel near gas cap)...2 scratches on the back bumper (they were there when I went to pick it up)...body shop is now workign the issue. Couldn't wait to get it...not happy yet!
1fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #42
Goodthrust

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I have the same problem.... Not as bad. Will get it fixed when I take it to the dealer...
Old 09-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #43
kurt_ots

Drives: 2010 2LT CGM RS
Same problem here on my CGM, in the exact same spot. I had to wait 3 months to get my car and I already have to give it up for 2 days for them to re-paint the bumper!
kurt_ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #44
TXISKING

Drives: '13 ZL1 725 rwhp / 700 ft lb tq
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post

Mine looks like this on both sides. Headed to dealer Today.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #45
cruisingcamaro

Drives: 2010 CGM SS2 RS- black stripes
Hey SS4PK- don't let them mess up that beautiful car with some bogus touch up paint! So far, I have no issues with the paint peeling. I have a rock chip in my windshield! Boo hoo!
cruisingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #46
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
I picked my car up Thursday of last week 9-3-2009 and it already has this same paint issue. It looks like they are tightening the bolt to tight in this area causing the body panels to push to hard against each other causing the paint to peel up a bit. To much torque when bolting them together will cause this. Specially when one panel is made of urethane and one is steel. Mine is just like the photos shown here and in the exact same place. If you notice, the paint is peeling on the urethane panel, not the steel one.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #47
Bmblb 2

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Paint problems.

I am also having the same issue with my new Camaro. The paint is flaking off in several different areas. Doors, bumper, etc. I am currently working with the dealership to see if they fix it....we will see how it goes.
Bmblb 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #48
Srl

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro Coupe 2SS
Paint Problems

I love my Camaro. But, it has started flaking off paint on the hood, mirrors, etc. They are very small flakes so far, but there are probably 8-10 of them showing now. I bought the car in September 2009. The dealership has initially said it should be under warranty and to bring it in and let the service people take a look. So, I'm hopeful they will do the right thing but will have to wait and see.

GM did such a great job on this car. I get compliments all the time and sincerely like the car. But, I find it hard to believe that after producing millions of cars, they don't know how to paint one properly.
Srl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #49
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srl View Post
I love my Camaro. But, it has started flaking off paint on the hood, mirrors, etc. They are very small flakes so far, but there are probably 8-10 of them showing now. ... I find it hard to believe that after producing millions of cars, they don't know how to paint one properly.
I find it hard to believe too! Can you take some pictures of them? Are they just spontaneous flaking of paint or when you say flakes are you talking about stone-chips on the leading edges of the front of the hood and mirrors? Post some pictures and let us know what they said!

Although I hope I don't start something like this! http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm...m&File_Id=5136
Old 04-13-2010, 01:11 AM   #50
Turismo

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM, 02 Subaru WRX
Any news on this, i just recieved my car 2-3 weeks ago and i have the exact same issue. Drivers side only on mine, but almost identical paint tear/chip as below.

Turismo is offline   Reply With Quote