Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
steverino56
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS Silver
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: sunland, ca
Posts: 17
Strange Chirping Noise From Driver Side.

Hey all. I'm new to the forum here! and sadly my first post is about a problem.
I recently got a 2012 camaro LT1 RS package, brand new from the dealer and its been making a weird chirping noise specifically from the drivers side. It's hard to pinpoint the exact location and it only happens while the car is in motion and when it is cold out. It gets louder during the night in temps of 40-50. Took it to the dealer twice and the mechanics cant pinpoint the noise either as it wont replicate when im driving with them (just my luck) Here's a link to the sound

It sounds like a chirping noise as if two plastic parts are rubbing against each other. Any thoughts? This noise is driving me insane!
steverino56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
quualudes
 
quualudes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE MPP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 206
Wow! That would get annoying!! Lol!

I would grab a small friend, throw him in the backseat with a stereoscope (or a hose or something) and try to isolate the location of that noise.
quualudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
quualudes
 
quualudes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE MPP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 206
I actually have a chirp too, but it's not like that. It chirps once or twice every once and a while, so that might be the beginnings of what is to come. :/
quualudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
steverino56
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS Silver
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: sunland, ca
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by quualudes View Post
Wow! That would get annoying!! Lol!

I would grab a small friend, throw him in the backseat with a stereoscope (or a hose or something) and try to isolate the location of that noise.
Do you mean a stethoscope? That's not a bad idea! Its so weird, the mechanics did indicate that it could be coming from under the good as well.
steverino56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
rush2112
 
Drives: 2013 2LT Auto CRM. 2009 night train
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DE
Posts: 242
I had a noise like plastic rubbing together in an older car. I sprayed WD 40 behind the inst panel in a last ditch effort. It worked. Smell went away after awhile. Sorry dashboard.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
quualudes
 
quualudes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE MPP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino56 View Post
Do you mean a stethoscope? That's not a bad idea! Its so weird, the mechanics did indicate that it could be coming from under the good as well.
Yes, stethoscope iPhone and proofreading fail.

I am hearing my little chirp from around the door area, and your audio clip sounds like mine if it never stopped. I also hear my chirp when I close my door sometimes, so I am leaning toward something there. Hopefully your 'helper' will get us closer to where it might be coming from.
quualudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
ckaram

 
ckaram's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,830
I have it on the passenger side. I pulled off the A pillar and put some felt tape where I thought it came from but struck out.

I'll get it, just need the time to have the wife drive it while I trouble shoot.
__________________
1968 Camaro convertible, LS1 & T56, Texas Speed 228R cam, 3.73 posi, 17" Torque Thrusts
2011 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, IOM in and out, factory Hurst short throw, GMPP axleback exhaust
ckaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
steverino56
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS Silver
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: sunland, ca
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
I have it on the passenger side. I pulled off the A pillar and put some felt tape where I thought it came from but struck out.

I'll get it, just need the time to have the wife drive it while I trouble shoot.
Luckily yours is on the passenger side an you can try to fix it. I find it hard to drive and try to find the damn noise at the same time lol.
steverino56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino56 View Post
Hey all. I'm new to the forum here! and sadly my first post is about a problem.
I recently got a 2012 camaro LT1 RS package, brand new from the dealer and its been making a weird chirping noise specifically from the drivers side. It's hard to pinpoint the exact location and it only happens while the car is in motion and when it is cold out. It gets louder during the night in temps of 40-50. Took it to the dealer twice and the mechanics cant pinpoint the noise either as it wont replicate when im driving with them (just my luck) Here's a link to the sound

It sounds like a chirping noise as if two plastic parts are rubbing against each other. Any thoughts? This noise is driving me insane!

Welcome to Camaro5! We apologize for the frustrations that you are currently experiencing. Please keep in mind; no one knows the idiosyncrasies of your car better than you. Itís for this reason I highly recommend that you consider personally road testing your vehicle with the Service Manager so you can demonstrate the concern you are experiencing. This way, before anyone exits the car, it is perfectly clear what you are referring to. The Service Manager then can provide you with his/her recommendation regarding the concern.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
steverino56
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS Silver
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: sunland, ca
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Welcome to Camaro5! We apologize for the frustrations that you are currently experiencing. Please keep in mind; no one knows the idiosyncrasies of your car better than you. Itís for this reason I highly recommend that you consider personally road testing your vehicle with the Service Manager so you can demonstrate the concern you are experiencing. This way, before anyone exits the car, it is perfectly clear what you are referring to. The Service Manager then can provide you with his/her recommendation regarding the concern.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks Brandon,
I have already visited my dealership twice and rode with the assistant manager and a mechanic. It made the noise when i was with the assistant manager, but not when i rode with the mechanic during the day. To me it seems that the noise becomes louder throughout the night. I dont know how to schedule a drive at night since the service department closes at 7 and that is the time i usually get off work. Any other suggestions?
steverino56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
AiRDawG
 
AiRDawG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 229
Could it possibly be your brakes? I had a chirping noise similar to this one that hasn't shown up again since I replaced pads and rotors on my SS.
__________________
AiRDawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
ckaram

 
ckaram's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,830
Mine is clearly only when it's below 40* outside. After driving the car for a half hour or so it's gone. Comes from the passenger corner near the windshield/A-pillar intersection.

It sounds just like two pieces of plastic rubbing against each other. I never hear it from April through October. Only in the winter...
__________________
1968 Camaro convertible, LS1 & T56, Texas Speed 228R cam, 3.73 posi, 17" Torque Thrusts
2011 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, IOM in and out, factory Hurst short throw, GMPP axleback exhaust
ckaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
steverino56
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS Silver
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: sunland, ca
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
Mine is clearly only when it's below 40* outside. After driving the car for a half hour or so it's gone. Comes from the passenger corner near the windshield/A-pillar intersection.

It sounds just like two pieces of plastic rubbing against each other. I never hear it from April through October. Only in the winter...
Did you get the noise fixed by any chance?
steverino56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
ckaram

 
ckaram's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino56 View Post
Did you get the noise fixed by any chance?
No...it's my DD I'm just living with it for now.
__________________
1968 Camaro convertible, LS1 & T56, Texas Speed 228R cam, 3.73 posi, 17" Torque Thrusts
2011 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, IOM in and out, factory Hurst short throw, GMPP axleback exhaust
ckaram is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
chirping, dash, noise, warranty

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.