Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
tonneau cover modification **Pics**

Everyone seems to struggle with the tonneau cover wanting to fly off so either we modify them, take our chances with it, or don't use them at all...
I been thinking about this problem for awhile now. I have done some research and I have seen everything from velcro to sewing on custom made plastic clips to remedy this issue. I myself thought about this and I came up with a solution that literately costs less than 10 bucks and you can get the items needed from Walmart, Home Depot, or any craft store. Plus it actually looks pretty good and its very very easy!

So I used eyelets and some hairties. Here is what you need.
Attached Images

Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Cruuzin LV

Next you need to put the holes in to keep the wind from taking hold of it.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Cruuzin LV

Now use two hairties as mini bungie cords.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
The post that you secure the hair ties to are for the bungee straps from the tonneau cover. Are you replacing that or are you adding to it?
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
pretty slick..

my 2012 came with bungies already, but I might use this idea to add one to the center, not sure why GM failed to do so in the first place.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Cruuzin LV

That's it.. very simple. looks pretty good and solves the problem. Hope this helps everyone out who has this problem. If you have any questions let me know.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
theragtopguy
Lifetime Phillies Fan

Drives: Silver/Black '12 2LT 'Vert 6-speed
I have yet to have a problem losing my tonneau cover. And I've had that sucker up to over 100. I have the elastic lanyard-type loops on it. Do you people that have issues have the two retainer bolts installed that go on the back of the rear seat?

Ported TB, CAI induction, MRT V-2 Pipes
theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Cruuzin LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
pretty slick..

my 2012 came with bungies already, but I might use this idea to add one to the center, not sure why GM failed to do so in the first place.

Mine had the bungies also however I don't feel like they actually solve the issue so now I use what I made and the ones that came with it at the same time.

That's not a bad idea either. I'm sure others will take this idea and run with it and make similar mods. The spot I put the eyelets in holds really good and you dont need to drill in more posts or anything.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Cruuzin LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
This is a good idea. Have you taken her out on a spin? How did it do? How does that piece connect to the car? Any pics of that?

Works great, no issues so far at high speeds.
If you look at the pictures there is one that has the hairtie connecting to the little posts where the stock bungies connect.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Looks great cruizin...necessity is the mother of invention...enjoy!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Cruuzin LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
Looks great cruizin...necessity is the mother of invention...enjoy!
Indeed it is! It's unfortunate that "engineers" didn't already figure this out. Sometimes they just forget KISS.. Keep it simple stupid.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Cruuzin LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
I have yet to have a problem losing my tonneau cover. And I've had that sucker up to over 100. I have the elastic lanyard-type loops on it. Do you people that have issues have the two retainer bolts installed that go on the back of the rear seat?

I do and mine still popped loose on the freeway. I was doing about 65mph and it was a windy day and the wind got under it and popped one of the side plastic pieces out so I had to pull over and take it off. Since that day I have done research and have tried to figure out the best way to fix this. So I have both the bungie I made and the one that comes with it attached.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Ditto.. not to say it can't or won't happen though.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I thought by now the aftermarket or GM would of made a hard plastic one like the 4th gens. Alas, my 1SS will still be flapping in the wind
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Anyone with the original '11 cover with plastic clips should get it replaced with the '12 version with bungee cords. The original clips snapped downward over the posts, and easily popped up under high speed and windy conditions. The clips are also very thin and wear out over time. There are several discussions on the risk and liability of a cover blowing off into highway traffic. I found during the redesign of my clips, that the originals were not always sewn straight on the cover so they lined up with the posts. Mine were misaligned by more than an inch. This caused the clips to pull inward from the post even sitting still. I also learned that the original clip design intent allowed the cover to "disengage" from the posts should the driver try raising the top with the cover still installed. This would avoid damage to both the top and the cover. Obviously, this was cheaper than a safety cut-off switch for an installed cover.
My concern for the '12 solution was the fact that bungee cords wear out rather quickly, especially when exposed to heat and sunlight. The nice thing about Cruuzin LV's solution is they can be easily changed (not so with GM's solution).

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Cruuzin LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
Anyone with the original '11 cover with plastic clips should get it replaced with the '12 version with bungee cords. The original clips snapped downward over the posts, and easily popped up under high speed and windy conditions. The clips are also very thin and wear out over time. There are several discussions on the risk and liability of a cover blowing off into highway traffic. I found during the redesign of my clips, that the originals were not always sewn straight on the cover so they lined up with the posts. Mine were misaligned by more than an inch. This caused the clips to pull inward from the post even sitting still. I also learned that the original clip design intent allowed the cover to "disengage" from the posts should the driver try raising the top with the cover still installed. This would avoid damage to both the top and the cover. Obviously, this was cheaper than a safety cut-off switch for an installed cover.
My concern for the '12 solution was the fact that bungee cords wear out rather quickly, especially when exposed to heat and sunlight. The nice thing about Cruuzin LV's solution is they can be easily changed (not so with GM's solution).

I have '12 with the GM bungie's and the added protection of two more bungies that I added using my eyelet method. So I'm using 4 bungies and it doesnt pop up in the middle or flap at all.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
Anyone with the original '11 cover with plastic clips should get it replaced with the '12 version with bungee cords.
I'm not sure if my dealer will just replace it. Since I'm not sure it will stay on, I don't use it much and it looks new.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
I'm not sure if my dealer will just replace it. Since I'm not sure it will stay on, I don't use it much and it looks new.
It's hard for them to refuse since they're the one's that engineered a solution to the clip problem in the first place...

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #19
classicrockr

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 45th Anniv. Vert Camaro
My dealer had a upholstery shop sew another bungee loop onto my cover - but instead of in the center, they did it on the left edge of the center flap. Once they have the shop put the bungee loop in the middle of the center flap, they are going to mount another one of the factory bolts in the center of the wall. This wway, it will look like the factory did it.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
Cruuzin LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
My dealer had a upholstery shop sew another bungee loop onto my cover - but instead of in the center, they did it on the left edge of the center flap. Once they have the shop put the bungee loop in the middle of the center flap, they are going to mount another one of the factory bolts in the center of the wall. This wway, it will look like the factory did it.
Nice let us know how it works out... My only concern is the long term use of the same bungie.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
Throw it upside down on your driveway, scrape it up really good then take it in and tell them it flew off while you were driving and they will probably get you the new style...

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
I have the 12 style cover and had zero issues either...

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #23
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
I have a 2011 and my vert has cheapo plastic tabs to snap on to the metal posts. I think that Cruuzin LV's method is a lot more secure then these tabs.

As soon as it is nice enough out I plan on modifying mine cover the same way. However ... Let me give some tips to anyone who might also want to try this.

First. I went to our local sporting goods store and got a Grommet kit. You will need the KIT not just the eyelets because you will need tools that come with the kit. Below is a picture of the Grommet kit I picked up the other day for $8.99.

Next, here is a really good basic and short video on HOW TO actually add a Grommet to something. You need to punch a hole, then use the tools in the grommet kit. I will be using a grommet and washer when I do mine.

How to add a grommet video:

Here is a picture of what my grommet kit looked like and the contents. 20 grommets and washers, the punch, the anvil (round thing) and the hammer tool.

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #24
BloodRain
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LE
Corsair keyboard? (way offtopic)
BloodRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRain View Post
Corsair keyboard? (way offtopic)
Yes! K90! I love the keyboard, once of the best I have ever had. On #2, they don't like swimming in Rye & Ginger! ROFL!

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote