Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
firstmate
 
firstmate's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 455
Help - Zaino question

I wondered if after using the clay bar, do you have to "wipe" the residue off before you wash with the Zaino wash, or do you just wash the clay bar residue off...

If you do have to wipe it off first, I was curious why that is, as opposed to just washing it off.

Thanks for your input...
__________________
Ordered 10-13-08 2SS/RS M6 BLK/GRY
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
69 Hugger

 
69 Hugger's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sumit Point, WV
Posts: 943
You do a section at a time 2x2 and once you clay that section take clean cotton rag and dry it.


Before using a Z-18 ClayBar™ on your car, you must thoroughly clean and dry your car to remove any loose dirt. Direct sunlight should not fall on your car's surface, and it's best if the work area is relatively cool to prevent rapid evaporation of the clay lubricant. Do not risk scratching your car; if you drop your clay bar, throw it away!


To use Z-18 ClayBar™, you spray a water-based lubricant on a small area of your car and rub the bar back and forth with light to medium pressure. If the lubricant begins to dry, you'll need to spray more. Z-18 is fairly sticky, and cannot be used dry. If you try using it dry, you'll make a big mess. We suggest mixing one cap full of Z-7 Show Car Wash with water in a 16 ounce spray bottle. Z-6 also works as a lubricant for Z-18 ClayBar, but Z-7 Show Car Wash is much more cost effective.


After a few passes with the Z-18 ClayBar™, rub your hand over the area to feel if the surface contamination was removed. Keep rubbing until all contamination bumps are gone. Finally, wipe the clay residue off with a soft terrycloth towel, and buff to a nice luster. Just like polishing with Zaino Show Car Polish, work in small areas.


Check your Z-18 ClayBar frequently for hard particles. When found, pick them off. Make it a habit to occasionally knead and reform the bar so that a fresh portion of the bar contacts your car's paint. If you drop your bar of clay on the ground, it's history. Toss it out. Don't take any chances, discard the clay bar if it becomes impregnated with grit.


Do not overuse. A single bar will do 3-4 medium size cars with moderate contamination. If you are removing heavy overspray or rail dust, use the bar once and throw it away.


When you're finished claying your car, you should wash it with Z-7 Show Car Wash to remove the lubricant film. Finally, seal your freshly cleaned paint with your choice of Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes, Z-3 Show Car Polish for Non-clear Coated Paint, or Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
tones2SS


 
tones2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,903
Thumbs up

Make sure the car is washed FIRST!!
Then like posted above, do a little area at a time, making sure the clay stays wet as you use it. After you do that section wash it off, but don't be too fussy about washing it off. After you do the whole car like that, it's best to wash the whole car again.
I, personally do not like the clay bars. I use a similar product which is MUCH easier to use, but is REAL expensive.
Good luck!!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Hawks
 
Hawks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2004 Frontier
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abilene, KS
Posts: 275
Ok I have a noob question. I've never been really big into waxing a vehicle (always had trucks and the are supposed to get dirty LOL) but my camaro will be a totally diffrent animal. What exactly does the clay bar do for you that throwing a coat of wax on after washing and drying wont.
__________________
CGM 2SS/RS, Manual VIN# 24515

Please go to this site to add your information to the site and spreadsheet...

http://camarotracking.com/

At the top is a blue ADD ORDER TO TRACKING DATABASE click on it and fill in the blanks. Make sure spelling and case is correct. Thats it and you will be added.
Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
firstmate
 
firstmate's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 455
Thank you. I made the mistake of doing the whole car and then trying to go back and wipe it off. So that may be why it is not coming off as easy as if I had done the small sections at a time. I was trying to save time but instead it made it harder. So I was wondering if I could just gently go ahead and wash the car to get it off, since I have to wash it afterwards anyway. I did wash the car first, and it is coming off and looking nice. But was trying to save some time. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and wash it would it?
__________________
Ordered 10-13-08 2SS/RS M6 BLK/GRY
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
firstmate
 
firstmate's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 455
On the new car it is supposed to get rid of the rail dust, but also any other contaminents that may be stuck to the paint. I did the whole Zaino system on my G35 that was 4 years old. It was amazing the difference it made. The paint was smooth again instead of feeling rough. It was pretty amazing...
__________________
Ordered 10-13-08 2SS/RS M6 BLK/GRY
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
69 Hugger

 
69 Hugger's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sumit Point, WV
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Ok I have a noob question. I've never been really big into waxing a vehicle (always had trucks and the are supposed to get dirty LOL) but my camaro will be a totally diffrent animal. What exactly does the clay bar do for you that throwing a coat of wax on after washing and drying wont.
It gets your paint ready to be polished/waxed it makes a big differents


Quickly and safely removes contamination. Makes your paint feel smooth as glass!

Z-18 ClayBar™ is a pliable, synthetic bar that quickly and safely removes imbedded contamination from all glass and painted surfaces. Used for years by automobile manufacturers and auto body shops, paint cleaning clay is an excellent choice for removing contamination that cannot be removed using conventional cleaning methods.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Hawks
 
Hawks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2004 Frontier
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abilene, KS
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
Quickly and safely removes contamination. Makes your paint feel smooth as glass!

Z-18 ClayBar™ is a pliable, synthetic bar that quickly and safely removes imbedded contamination from all glass and painted surfaces. Used for years by automobile manufacturers and auto body shops, paint cleaning clay is an excellent choice for removing contamination that cannot be removed using conventional cleaning methods.
Ah I see well I guess I will have to get me one LOL I dont even want to think about how much money I have dropped on stuff for the car I don't even have yet LOL. Keeps me from getting frustrated waiting.
__________________
CGM 2SS/RS, Manual VIN# 24515

Please go to this site to add your information to the site and spreadsheet...

http://camarotracking.com/

At the top is a blue ADD ORDER TO TRACKING DATABASE click on it and fill in the blanks. Make sure spelling and case is correct. Thats it and you will be added.
Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Gentry78
HOOK'EM
 
Gentry78's Avatar
 
Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Make sure the car is washed FIRST!!
Then like posted above, do a little area at a time, making sure the clay stays wet as you use it. After you do that section wash it off, but don't be too fussy about washing it off. After you do the whole car like that, it's best to wash the whole car again.
I, personally do not like the clay bars. I use a similar product which is MUCH easier to use, but is REAL expensive.
Good luck!!
which would be?
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
69 Hugger

 
69 Hugger's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sumit Point, WV
Posts: 943
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstmate View Post
Thank you. I made the mistake of doing the whole car and then trying to go back and wipe it off. So that may be why it is not coming off as easy as if I had done the small sections at a time. I was trying to save time but instead it made it harder. So I was wondering if I could just gently go ahead and wash the car to get it off, since I have to wash it afterwards anyway. I did wash the car first, and it is coming off and looking nice. But was trying to save some time. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and wash it would it?
Go back and spray the Z-6 on it to get it wet enough and wipe it dry, should be fine just go back spray one panel at a time then dry it. I don't think it would hurt to go back and wash the car again, but if that doesn't work hit one panel at a time with Z-6 and dry it then with a cotton towel. Make sure you buff it dry

Last edited by 69 Hugger; 06-13-2009 at 12:52 PM.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
firstmate
 
firstmate's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 455
Will do, thanks 69 hugger!!!
__________________
Ordered 10-13-08 2SS/RS M6 BLK/GRY
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 27,575
I ordered the ZFX and Z2 along with a a couple app pads for starters. Shipped is was just over 50 bucks...

Question is... should I get the clay bar and use prior to this treatment or can I get the bar later when the temps are a bit cooler here?

I have noticed on my first washes a lot of black residue (I'm guessing rail dust) on my car. Don't want to seal that in and defeat the purpose of clay.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
69 Hugger

 
69 Hugger's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sumit Point, WV
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I ordered the ZFX and Z2 along with a a couple app pads for starters. Shipped is was just over 50 bucks...

Question is... should I get the clay bar and use prior to this treatment or can I get the bar later when the temps are a bit cooler here?

I have noticed on my first washes a lot of black residue (I'm guessing rail dust) on my car. Don't want to seal that in and defeat the purpose of clay.

Thanks in advance.
If your getting rail dust when you wash the car I'd clay it for sure, They have a car wash soap thats very good. I'd get both
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
Diode 33
 
Drives: 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago Il.
Posts: 5
I haven't used the Z-18 product, but, I have used Meguiar's clay bar product. I found it to be excellent! Doing small sections at a time is the easiest way, then waxing and buffing. I used it on my '05 Grand Prix GTP and was amazed at the crap that came off the paint.
Diode 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washing/Detailing for Newbies MRK III Z28 Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 119 10-27-2015 04:01 PM
My Zaino experience with pics JJ#48Racing Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 58 04-13-2011 10:41 PM
LS3 Transmission Question Seawolf 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 13 06-12-2009 02:16 PM
Zaino is great but there are other brands Thrillz Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 3 06-02-2009 09:17 AM
Question about the After.... Tecca Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 1 04-15-2009 04:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.