Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Sgtslaughterrrr

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss pt67mm single turbo
High idle with turbo ?

Anybody have any ideas whats causing my high idle, heres a little info on car i purchased car with 67mm single turbo looks to be custom made, turbo has a intercooler but no blow off valve, im getting oil in turbo piping and can see oil on my maf, my check engine light is on, today i pulled the maf of and cleaned it with carb cleaner and engine code went off but car will still idle around 1100 rpm for awhile before returing to 750 normal idle, engine will surge to 2000 rpm when coming out of gear at redlights sometimes and then back down to 1100 rpm, when engine is cold it will start up like normal high idle till warm and to a normal idle of 750rpm. Code is po507, po113 and po102 but clears when maf is clean of oil, but idle still high when driving in town, wideband meter reads 11.5 on wot and 12 to 13 when high way speeds and sometimes highway speeds will read 14 to 15 on wideband something is wrong, gas mileage sucks, im going to rebuild turbo and install blow off valve next week, maybe that wiill fix my oil in turbo line problem, is there another sensor that could be oiled up thats causeing high idle? Running 8psi on turbo , willbe tring to clean up someone elses build, car has 14000 miles ss m6 car thanks
Sgtslaughterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
The idle could be a number of problems, but... I'm thinking the oil in the boost pipes is possibly from an improperly prepped turbo. If you are getting that much oil in the boost pipes, the O2 sensors may be shot...

Is it a ball bearing or journal bearing turbo. Is there an orifice fitting in the oil inlet, and if so, is it properly sized. It could be a simple case of the bearing seals are shot, but I would check the orifice fitting and get with the manufacturer and find out the size orifice they recommend for that turbo.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Like Robert said, you've got some problems and it could be anything. Another thing to check is your butterfly on the throttle body. Running without a BOV is a bad idea and you may have bent it.
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Sgtslaughterrrr

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  149.5 KBGot a good deal on the car but several things need to be done to be up to par its a precision turbo 67mm with 75ar housing heres a picture and car idles fine when its just parked idling for a minute or two after driving it
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
GretchenGotGrowl

Hate to say it, but I think you will need to do have the seals replaced. Precision charges an arm and a leg for it (ask me how I know), so look for a local shop that does rebuilds. That should clear up the oil issue, but you still need to figure out why the seals gave up the ghost. My guess is they have the previous owner put the wrong restictors in it. If it has journal bearings then they may have not liked the amount of smoke from the tail pipes and restricted it too much. Over oiling can also damage the seals, too. Once you figure out the root cause, then I think the rest is easy to fix. May have to replace the O2 sensor and MAF. If the butterfly is bent then you get the opportunity to by a ported TB. Definitely get a BOV on that thing. It doesn't take much boost to ruin a throttle body.
Build Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Hypothetical Numbers...

At 8 lbs of boost, figuring a 3.5 inch throttle body blade, I have no idea what it actually measures, without a BOV, there is a possibility of 300 lbs of force on the throttle blade... Balance the blade on a pin and hang 300 lbs of weight on it.. not a pretty picture...

Precision builds a damn fine turbo... I'm on number 5 & 6 turbos from them... The first pair lasted about a week, and failed on the way to the Camaro Fest simple due to improper sized restrictors in the turbos... Not precisions fault...

I would check and repair the turbo, check the throttle blade to make sure it's not damaged, as GGG mentioned and after that's fixed, then check/replace the O2 sensors and since the car was probably home built, it might not hurt to have a reputable tuner check the tune.

Third pair was just an upgrade...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Sgtslaughterrrr

Thinking about selling whole setup and going with a kennebell, it has no restricker on the turbo oil feed solid line straight from oil cooler
Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
With no BOV the blade would get bent in the TB when the throttle closes.....
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Sgtslaughterrrr

Got bov installed today, blade looks straight but could be
Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
stanwilliams
3000 hp 648 ci beast

Drives: 86 Outlaw 10.5 Camaro, 2SS/RS LS3
I don't have a BOV on my twin turbo outlaw car. No problems in several years. Probably wrong idle air flow settings in the tune.

Doubt its your turbo seals. Probably either too much oil supply or poor drain. Check that the return hose never goes uphill before it goes in the pan. If it has a return oil pump it should not have any loops in the line before it goes into the pump. Had a buddy bought a twin turbo GTO with low mount turbos. On cold mornings sometimes the pump would air lock and the turbos would fill the intake system with oil. Previous owner resealed the turbos with no luck fixing the problem. I rerouted the return lines, mounted the pump lower and fixed his problem.

mods: Subthump setup. Whipple supercharger....Need suspension upgrades now... 4" stroker kit, ARH, cam on my wish list.
stanwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
If you have no BOV to release the boost when the TB blad closes, your putting a tremendous strai on the blade an rod.......you may be confidant with not having one, but I have been building forced induction for over 38 years, and I would never (even mildly boosted) do a system w/out either a BOV or a recirculating valve to relieve that boost pressure. On the old blow through carbs we would wrap the throttle baldes arounf the shaft first time letting off under boost. But its a free country to do as you choose.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
stanwilliams
3000 hp 648 ci beast

Drives: 86 Outlaw 10.5 Camaro, 2SS/RS LS3
I would have to agree with you. Every other turbo setup I have had anything to do with has had a blowoff valve. When I set my car up several years ago I was getting advice from Steve Petty and he said he didn't have one or recommend one. I bought all my parts from him so I went with that and haven't had any issues at all in several years. I do have a pretty HD 105mm throttle blade. I have only turned it up to around 30 lbs of boost. If I ever turn it up maybe it will give me issues. Anyway. I have downhill drain hoses and no oil issues in the pipes at all

mods: Subthump setup. Whipple supercharger....Need suspension upgrades now... 4" stroker kit, ARH, cam on my wish list.
stanwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtslaughterrrr View Post
Anybody have any ideas whats causing my high idle, heres a little info on car i purchased car with 67mm single turbo looks to be custom made, turbo has a intercooler but no blow off valve, im getting oil in turbo piping and can see oil on my maf, my check engine light is on, today i pulled the maf of and cleaned it with carb cleaner and engine code went off but car will still idle around 1100 rpm for awhile before returing to 750 normal idle, engine will surge to 2000 rpm when coming out of gear at redlights sometimes and then back down to 1100 rpm, when engine is cold it will start up like normal high idle till warm and to a normal idle of 750rpm. Code is po507, po113 and po102 but clears when maf is clean of oil, but idle still high when driving in town, wideband meter reads 11.5 on wot and 12 to 13 when high way speeds and sometimes highway speeds will read 14 to 15 on wideband something is wrong, gas mileage sucks, im going to rebuild turbo and install blow off valve next week, maybe that wiill fix my oil in turbo line problem, is there another sensor that could be oiled up thats causeing high idle? Running 8psi on turbo , willbe tring to clean up someone elses build, car has 14000 miles ss m6 car thanks
2 things, No blow off valve, and Tune.

Add a Vortech Mondo Bypass valve and get it retuned.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Sgtslaughterrrr

Thanks for the help guys, i installed 50mm tial bov and cleaned everything up andshes running great now, jannetty ill be calling soon for recomended tuner and you can remote tune, dont know how that works youll let me know, its been flashed with hp tuner i think before i got it, haveno codes but it seems to be running rich at regular driving, and 11.5 atf on wot
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
GretchenGotGrowl

That's good news.
Build Thread
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtslaughterrrr View Post
Thanks for the help guys, i installed 50mm tial bov and cleaned everything up andshes running great now, jannetty ill be calling soon for recomended tuner and you can remote tune, dont know how that works youll let me know, its been flashed with hp tuner i think before i got it, haveno codes but it seems to be running rich at regular driving, and 11.5 atf on wot
Called it LOL

Let me know when your ready
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
Sgtslaughterrrr

Turbo sounds better now had alot of compressor surge, im new to turbos and thought it was normal, lol sounds like it should now
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
Sgtslaughterrrr

What a difference a bov makes lol