Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Rdphish73

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey LS-3 RS/2SS Coupe
Tuning..(and a little gloating).....Help please?

I'm sure there are lots of threads on tuning, but I don't have the time to search. I am not edgumicated on tuning, chips and etc. However, I just bought a 2012 RS/SS with the LS3/Hurst shifter.....(At 39 years old, I finally got my first Camaro!!!!) and in this day and age I'm aware that computers dominate most of the systems on cars. I just put in an Airaid CAI and my Borla "S-TYPE" Cat-Back exhaust system will be installed in 3 days. I'll probably put high flow Cats on as well...but likely no headers.

My first question is will I have to tune with such simple mods, and secondly if I do...How in the hell do I do it? I've seen tuners for sale (Diablo?) are they easy to use? This car is my daily driver, so I'm not going crazy, but I do wan't it stronger and better sounding than stock. I'm new to this "tuning" stuff and if someone could explain it the best they can, I would be very grateful.

BTW, I love this forum...I found this place the second day I bought my Camaro and It's like a drug....I could sit here for hours if I had the time and just read forums all day!
The styling on this 5th Gen car is second to NONE. It may be a little big and heavy, but who cares...IMO, its one of the best looking cars on the road. Plus, I don't care who's faster in a drag race...there's always someone who can beat you and there's always someone who you can beat. The way I see it sometimes is...."Ok you won, but you're still driving a butt ass ugly car!" Personally, I wanted a CHEVY that is beautiful to look at, sporty, very stylish, cool interior, sounds good, and is powerful. I bought this car because I'm a Chevy guy who cried for a long time because (please no one take offense), but I thought the 4th gen Camaro was the ugliest car on the road....no lines, no style, no soul....Kind of like the last GTO. That GTO was a beast in performance....but it looked like a Honda Accord.......I had the 2006 Impala SS..and just with a CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, It blew 4 trannys...and at my age...I rarely get on it hard.
But when I drove off the lot in my 2012 SS/RS, I was smitten on a level that in immeasurable. My '12 RS/SS in that Ashen Grey paint with no stripes looks sooooo bad ass!! Very stealthy and classy! I could not be prouder to own this car. Makes me feel a part of Camaro history dating back to the 1960's

Sorry to ramble a little but again, if someone could help me with my tuner questions listed above, I'd dig it immensely. Thank you my friends.

Regards.
Rdphish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
The Stig

Drives: out of the ashes
moved to the tuning section
Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdphish73 View Post
My first question is will I have to tune with such simple mods, and secondly if I do...How in the hell do I do it? I've seen tuners for sale (Diablo?) are they easy to use? This car is my daily driver, so I'm not going crazy, but I do wan't it stronger and better sounding than stock. I'm new to this "tuning" stuff and if someone could explain it the best they can, I would be very grateful.
First, no.

Second, You should leave it to the professionals. You change the peramiters on your laptop.

Easy to use, yes. Easy to understand what you are doing and not screw something up? No.

If you end up getting something tune worthy (Headers or something affecting airflow equally drastically.) Have a local performance shop tune it or someone like Ted at Jannetty racing send you a programmed tune through email. (That is when you would use a hand held tuner like SCTx3 to load it in your car.)

I think I've told you in another post, but again, tuning will pretty much void your powertrain warranty.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Rdphish73

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey LS-3 RS/2SS Coupe
Ok..thanks K32.
Rdphish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdphish73 View Post
I'm sure there are lots of threads on tuning, but I don't have the time to search. I am not edgumicated on tuning, chips and etc. However, I just bought a 2012 RS/SS with the LS3/Hurst shifter.....(At 39 years old, I finally got my first Camaro!!!!) and in this day and age I'm aware that computers dominate most of the systems on cars. I just put in an Airaid CAI and my Borla "S-TYPE" Cat-Back exhaust system will be installed in 3 days. I'll probably put high flow Cats on as well...but likely no headers.

BTW, I love this forum...I found this place the second day I bought my Camaro and It's like a drug....I could sit here for hours if I had the time and just read forums all day!
The styling on this 5th Gen car is second to NONE. It may be a little big and heavy, but who cares...IMO, its one of the best looking cars on the road. Plus, I don't care who's faster in a drag race...there's always someone who can beat you and there's always someone who you can beat. The way I see it sometimes is...."Ok you won, but you're still driving a butt ass ugly car!" Personally, I wanted a CHEVY that is beautiful to look at, sporty, very stylish, cool interior, sounds good, and is powerful. I bought this car because I'm a Chevy guy who cried for a long time because (please no one take offense), but I thought the 4th gen Camaro was the ugliest car on the road....no lines, no style, no soul....Kind of like the last GTO. That GTO was a beast in performance....but it looked like a Honda Accord.......I had the 2006 Impala SS..and just with a CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, It blew 4 trannys...and at my age...I rarely get on it hard.
But when I drove off the lot in my 2012 SS/RS, I was smitten on a level that in immeasurable. My '12 RS/SS in that Ashen Grey paint with no stripes looks sooooo bad ass!! Very stealthy and classy! I could not be prouder to own this car. Makes me feel a part of Camaro history dating back to the 1960's

Sorry to ramble a little but again, if someone could help me with my tuner questions listed above, I'd dig it immensely. Thank you my friends.

Regards.
Hello, Welcome, and Congrats.

I offer Tuning support for Simple bolt ons to Radical Builds via SCT hand held X3 or SCT iTSX wirless tuner.

Purchase an SCT tuner of your choice off my site and I will Provide a Custom Tune for the mods you have listed for FREE.

Purchase your Future Parts from JRE and All Tuning is FREE For those Parts.

I have Custom tuned over 1300 Gen5 camaros and counting with Fantastic results.

Feel free to call or email with any questions.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote