Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 01-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: SOLD: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
V6 LFX oil pressure?

Do anyone else think these V6 LFX engines run a little high in oil pressure?

Seems my gauge is always pegged out to the right while driving?

Is this normal?
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
yes, normal there is a gm bullitain somewhere I will look for

#PIP4690D: Normal Characteristic - High Oil Pressure Gauge Readings - (Oct 16, 2012)

Subject:Normal Characteristic - High Oil Pressure Gauge Readings

Models:2010 - 2013 Chevrolet Camaro
Equipped with 3.6L LLT or LFX Engines

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern

Some owners may comment that the oil pressure gauge is indicating that the engine appears to be operating with very high oil pressure.
Recommendation/Instructions

Under various engine operating conditions 60 psi (413 kpa.) of oil pressure may be displayed on the oil pressure gauge. This should be considered as normal operation. In addition, during a cold engine start-up (especially during cold ambient temperatures) the oil pressure gauge may display at 70 psi (482 kpa.) or all the way to the right. This condition should also be considered as normal operation. As the engine and oil warm up, the gauge should begin to return to approximately 60 psi (413 kpa.).
Important: Because these operating pressures are considered normal operation, no repair attempts or parts should be replaced.
Customer Information

Please communicate to the customer this condition is a normal operating characteristic of their vehicle. This condition will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle.

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
These motors the timing chain tensioners are very dependant on oil pressure to keep the chain from jumping teeth so sycraft is correct.

This is also a reason it is so critical to keep an eye on your oil level!!!! Any low oil can allow the pump to suck air when stopping/starting/cornering abruptly and allow the chain to loose tension to the point it can junp teeth and cause piston to valve interference.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: SOLD: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
Ok. Thx for the info.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
On a side note, I got a scangauge II and programmed it for trans oil temp on my manual trans. Boy it takes a while to heat up!! Driving for a few miles the oil was still only at 70 degrees after a cold night in the garage. Made my think twice about getting frisky until the tranny oil warmed up. CAI temps are damn close to outside air BTW, unwarmed they are the same, warmed 5-10 degrees different during winter, the CAI CAI is doing its job nicely. I figure warm turbulance air off the radiator is getting in but only slightly. For those thinking about getting the gauges, I will say for less than half the price ($140) you can get most of what the gauges do between your stock car info and the scangauge, plus a code scanner and reset, and manually set up display of (2) green and (3) blue matches the stock color of the cluster perfectly. A good and cheaper alternative.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Fourthrail

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
I know this is an older thread, but ...

I never really noticed the reading on this gauge before, but I had my 13 in for its first oil change morning at the dealership ... on the way home, I glanced at the gauge and noticed it was pegged to the right anytime I was accelerating. I went back, and they were very thorough in letting me know this was normal.

They pulled out the manual, the service bulletin, check the oil level, hooked it up to the computer, and even went so far as to pull a brand new one off the lot, and showed me it was the same behavior.
Fourthrail is offline   Reply With Quote