Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
Pro and cons to a tune? Really on the fence

Ok so now that I have some extra cash to play with I am thinking about getting a tune. Now I know obviously once I get a tune this will void my warranty but I am sitting at 37k miles and have not had any issues with the car and I keep getting on and off the fence about tuning. So what are the pros and cons to a tune? You can see my current mods in my sig and I will be getting the following mods at the same time as the tune if I choose to do so: VMAX Black Ice-olator, RX Catch Can w/ Single Check Valve, Magnaflow Performance muffler, and maybe a ported throttle body. What types of gains could I expect? Last time I dyno the car I made 272hp. Would it be worth the 400+ on the cost of a trifecta tune? Has anybody had issues with there tune? Thanks
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I'm digging my IPF tune. There isn't a downside, barring the obvious warranty issue, if there's ever going to be one. It made my car more responsive at all engine RPM's and it pulls like a mule. Glad I did it.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Skylane765
Splitter washers, jack pd

Drives: 13 ZL1, 14 Z28, Cessna 182T
I am not going to tune at this time, I want the warranty, and have enough power with CAI, CC, big gulp, and soon 5% OD lower pulley with Torco. From JRE.

Just tuning is not going to get much, when you add mods then the tune will do allot. JRE will give tunes for what you add.

You can get 75 RW HP with CAI and 10% lower with Torco kit from JRE. No tune

http://jreperformanceparts.com/2012-...n-package.html
Johnny may have better info.
Now I see you have a 1LT. So you have a different issue.

Last edited by Skylane765; 01-26-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Skylane765 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
JohnnyBfromPeoria

I believe Jannety is just starting to get into the LLT/LFX tuning game. IPF and Trifecta are the ones that have been at it a while. Not sure what Ted has for the V-6's yet, but when he gets it down, I'm sure it'll be a great product as well.

John B.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
You can get 75 RW HP with CAI and 10% lower with Torco kit from JRE.
YOU can! OP has a V-6. Ours will be, shall we say, a bit more conservative.

John B.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I dont think janetty will do 2010-2011.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper182 View Post
Ok so now that I have some extra cash to play with I am thinking about getting a tune. Now I know obviously once I get a tune this will void my warranty but I am sitting at 37k miles and have not had any issues with the car and I keep getting on and off the fence about tuning. So what are the pros and cons to a tune? You can see my current mods in my sig and I will be getting the following mods at the same time as the tune if I choose to do so: VMAX Black Ice-olator, RX Catch Can w/ Single Check Valve, Magnaflow Performance muffler, and maybe a ported throttle body. What types of gains could I expect? Last time I dyno the car I made 272hp. Would it be worth the 400+ on the cost of a trifecta tune? Has anybody had issues with there tune? Thanks
No I dont think it would be worth it. Id wait at least until you get headers

Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
No I dont think it would be worth it. Id wait at least until you get headers
Good point. For my 2012, that was not an issue.

You'll probably hear many people say that a tune doesn't do much for a M6 V-6, but I beg to differ. For an A6, there's enough reason in the alteration of shift behavior to justify it right there. Increased performance from the engine is just icing.

John B.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
trooper182

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Good point. For my 2012, that was not an issue.

You'll probably hear many people say that a tune doesn't do much for a M6 V-6, but I beg to differ. For an A6, there's enough reason in the alteration of shift behavior to justify it right there. Increased performance from the engine is just icing.

John B.
Yea I have thought about getting long tube headers. I might as well if I am going to get the tune but if I go headers that will be pushing the budget and I really dont want to bust the bank buying expensive long tubes
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
lscamaro

Do you drive m6 or a6?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Do you drive m6 or a6?
I often have a chuckle when you look at someone's extensive signature and list of mods, yet you still have to come back and ask that question. Not sure if people forget to put it in there or just don't think it's important.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
trooper182

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
I often have a chuckle when you look at someone's extensive signature and list of mods, yet you still have to come back and ask that question. Not sure if people forget to put it in there or just don't think it's important.

John B.
Lol my bad , I drive a A6. Correction made
Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
lscamaro

I think you could greatly benefit from the TCM portion of the tune. It really depends on what kind of driving you do. But if it was me, and I was considering headers, I'd save a little more for them. Or go catless with OBX.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
WHAMMO

Drives: LS2 Fbody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
I am not going to tune at this time, I want the warranty, and have enough power with CAI, CC, big gulp, and soon 5% OD lower pulley with Torco. From JRE.

Just tuning is not going to get much, when you add mods then the tune will do allot. JRE will give tunes for what you add.

You can get 75 RW HP with CAI and 10% lower with Torco kit from JRE. No tune

http://jreperformanceparts.com/2012-...n-package.html
Johnny may have better info.
Now I see you have a 1LT. So you have a different issue.
is there any dyno to prove this 75rwhp seems really optimistic IMO, especially without a tune..

**edit I saw it was for a ZL1**

nothing that will help the OP though..
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #15
416Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Damn I am waiting for my cable i bought off a user, I hope there is a noticeable difference with trifecta tune.
M6 MODS: OBX LT headers, Magnaflow Resonated Xpipe, MRT V2 Axle back, K&N intake, Trifecta Tune,Sidemarker & Tail Light Blackout, Black Vinyl Emblems, CCFL Angel Eye Projectors, 35% & 5% Tint, Plasti Dip Rocker Stripes/Gas Cap, Blacked Out Tail Light Bezels....More to come.
416Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote