Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dynomax Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Michael2000
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 246
A Few Things Chevy Could Learn from the Mustang GT

The Camaro and Mustang are both great cars in my opinion. We are lucky to live in a time when we have such great cars to choose from that are affordable. I had the opportunity to drive a Mustang GT recently, and I found some things I really liked, which I wish Chevy would apply to the Camaro.

1) Track Apps - It's a dash read-out that gives you maximum acceleration in G's for left, right, acceleration, and braking. It holds the readings until reset. You can also time your 0-60, 0-100, 1/8 mile, and 1/4 mile times. Finally you can do braking tests 60-0, and 100-0.

2) Great Sounding Exhaust Standard - you don't have to spend $900 to improve the exhaust sound, because it already sounds great. I think the overall tone of the Mustang GT is better at higher RPM than even the Camaro's NPP. I call it the "wake the dead exhaust". It sounds like a race car at anything over 4000 rpm, and screams right up to 6900. Wow!

3) HID Headlights Standard - you don't have to spend $1350 for an RS package to get HID headlamps. They are standard equipment. It also includes fog lamps as standard, which the RS lacks. The headlights work really well, too, both on low beam and high beam.

How about it Chevy?

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
DagoCountyGee

 
DagoCountyGee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BRM Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North County
Posts: 1,064
Yeah I don't understand why HID headlights aren't standard. In this day and age it should've been standard since 2010.
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,712
GM screwed up big time with the SS exhaust, NPP should be stock. I think the track apps are gimmicky, and the HIDs were a throw in to make up for a lack of rear suspension

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention the WONDERFUL manual transmission in the Mustang

Last edited by mikeyg36; 01-27-2013 at 10:54 PM.
mikeyg36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Garret
 
Garret's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Victory Red
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bastrop Tx
Posts: 443
its a shame you have to spend 1650 for 2 brembo's for the rear on a mustang :P btw thats also their 'rs' wheel upgrade, this post will get slammed hardcore to be honest..

There is plenty for GM to learn from Ford but there is also tons for Ford to learn from GM, end of.


I looked at 2013 GT and 2013 2SS and I know basically every upgrade option on both, and in the end it took ALOT of add ons to compete with a 2SS/RS. This basically means if you want an equally equipped mustang you will have to order it...

EDIT: I was looking at some Mercedes SUV's they want 1290 for the HID upgrade on a car starting at 40k so I dont see the deal with a Chevy not coming stock with em...
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
LimaCharlie


 
LimaCharlie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
its a shame you have to spend 1650 for 2 brembo's for the rear on a mustang :P btw thats also their 'rs' wheel upgrade, this post will get slammed hardcore to be honest..

There is plenty for GM to learn from Ford but there is also tons for Ford to learn from GM, end of.


I looked at 2013 GT and 2013 2SS and I know basically every upgrade option on both, and in the end it took ALOT of add ons to compete with a 2SS/RS. This basically means if you want an equally equipped mustang you will have to order it...

EDIT: I was looking at some Mercedes SUV's they want 1290 for the HID upgrade on a car starting at 40k so I dont see the deal with a Chevy not coming stock with em...
I agree. Both GM and Ford can learn something from eachother....and likely have.

-The Track Apps is kinda cool on the Mustang but be honest.....how often do you really think you'll use it? Unless you are a track star and race your car constantly, I don't see myself using track apps on the street. I think I'd get into trouble fast with the cops if I starting using it regularly anyways.
-I agree on the exhaust. The stock SS exhaust is pretty quiet. Not necessarily a bad thing though considering the preference of most people.
-As for the HID headlights, I think GM will make them standard on all trim model Camaros for the last year of the 5th gen (2015, 2016?). Ford made them standard because 2013 is basically the last run for their S197 Mustang generation.
__________________
2011 Summit White Camaro 1SS/RS
-6.2 LS3, TR6060, 3.45, G80

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
jpwickl
 
Drives: 2013 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 165
Michael...

Reading a lot of posts on here, not everyone wants the HID. I believe also that Chevy made the LS for people that want a Camaro, but, they can only afford that, but still have a Camaro, or, they simply want that version of the Camaro.
I agree with above in that the lap stuff is gimmicky. As far Chevy being gimmicky, I find it is easier to simple change the radio station, make a call, than to try to use the voice-activated stuff. The Buick commercial with Peyton Manning is no where near as good and quick as it is in the commercial
One of the biggest contributing factors why I chose Chevy over Ford is the HUD.
If Chevy could learn anything from Ford, it was be a wider palette of car colors

Last edited by jpwickl; 01-27-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: enter more info
jpwickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwickl View Post
Reading a lot of posts on here, not everyone wants the HID. I believe also that Chevy made the LS for people that want a Camaro, but, they can only afford that, but still have a Camaro, or, they simply want that version of the Camaro.
I agree with above in that the lap stuff is gimmicky. My car has the voice activated stuff, but i find it is still quicker and easier to just do things the old fashioned way. you press the button, but you still have to wait until you hear the beep. It is nothing like the Peyton Manning Buick commercial.
One of the biggest contributing factors why I chose Chevy over Ford is the HUD.
If Chevy could learn anything from Ford, it was be a wider palette of car colors
I actually prefer the Camaro colors over the Mustang's. However, I think Chevy needs a good shade of blue that actually sells. IMO the best color is the blue on the hot wheels edition, but that's special order unfortunately.
mikeyg36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
jpwickl
 
Drives: 2013 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 165
@MikeyG36

I agree with your comment about ford vs chevy colors. At least both companies have a black. I'd like a dark green choice for the Camaro. that'd be the only color other than black that i would think about getting.
jpwickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
oldfriend


 
Drives: Fiat 500 E
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 32.7607/N. 16.95947/W
Posts: 7,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
The Camaro and Mustang are both great cars in my opinion. We are lucky to live in a time when we have such great cars to choose from that are affordable. I had the opportunity to drive a Mustang GT recently, and I found some things I really liked, which I wish Chevy would apply to the Camaro.

1) Track Apps - It's a dash read-out that gives you maximum acceleration in G's for left, right, acceleration, and braking. It holds the readings until reset. You can also time your 0-60, 0-100, 1/8 mile, and 1/4 mile times. Finally you can do braking tests 60-0, and 100-0.

2) Great Sounding Exhaust Standard - you don't have to spend $900 to improve the exhaust sound, because it already sounds great. I think the overall tone of the Mustang GT is better at higher RPM than even the Camaro's NPP. I call it the "wake the dead exhaust". It sounds like a race car at anything over 4000 rpm, and screams right up to 6900. Wow!

3) HID Headlights Standard - you don't have to spend $1350 for an RS package to get HID headlamps. They are standard equipment. It also includes fog lamps as standard, which the RS lacks. The headlights work really well, too, both on low beam and high beam.

How about it Chevy?

Michael
On the # 1 How in the heck can it be accurate , if you spin the wheels the odometer will count the distance ,and the clock will measure the time , but !!!!!it still seats in there
Brakes will have the same issue , you lock the wheels and it does not measure anything

2. Not everyone wants/needs to get the neighbors jump out the bed every time you go somewhere
Should I keep on going ?
Every manufactor needs to offer options , the time for the Modle T is long gone
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
Agent orange
socal ht5
 
Agent orange's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro ss
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Valley village CA
Posts: 468
I Agree on the exhaust part.. for being a v8 engine it should be noticeable in terms of rumble of the exhaust. stock exhaust of the camaro are so weak. it sounds like youre driving a 4 banger.
__________________
Agent orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
steveo9043

 
steveo9043's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 1,126
The exhaust is the big thing. But I believe most of the exhaust note in the mustang is due to the over head cams.

I would like to see different colors for the ambient lighting
__________________
2012 45th L99 SS-Cold air inductions CAI-Dynatech LT's-Solo mach XL catback
333hp/341tq (before LT's)
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
SSmokinSS
21 smiles per gallon
 
SSmokinSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 6Speed
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Wood's Edge, NM
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
On the # 1 How in the heck can it be accurate , if you spin the wheels the odometer will count the distance ,and the clock will measure the time , but !!!!!it still seats in there
Brakes will have the same issue , you lock the wheels and it does not measure anything

Pretty sure it uses GPS instead of wheel spin.
Still not perfectly accurate, but close.
__________________
SSmokinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5
 
Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
The Camaro and Mustang are both great cars in my opinion. We are lucky to live in a time when we have such great cars to choose from that are affordable. I had the opportunity to drive a Mustang GT recently, and I found some things I really liked, which I wish Chevy would apply to the Camaro.

1) Track Apps - It's a dash read-out that gives you maximum acceleration in G's for left, right, acceleration, and braking. It holds the readings until reset. You can also time your 0-60, 0-100, 1/8 mile, and 1/4 mile times. Finally you can do braking tests 60-0, and 100-0.

2) Great Sounding Exhaust Standard - you don't have to spend $900 to improve the exhaust sound, because it already sounds great. I think the overall tone of the Mustang GT is better at higher RPM than even the Camaro's NPP. I call it the "wake the dead exhaust". It sounds like a race car at anything over 4000 rpm, and screams right up to 6900. Wow!

3) HID Headlights Standard - you don't have to spend $1350 for an RS package to get HID headlamps. They are standard equipment. It also includes fog lamps as standard, which the RS lacks. The headlights work really well, too, both on low beam and high beam.

How about it Chevy?

Michael
1) The track app sucks, it's not accurate at all. My buddy and I go at it alot and that thing is a gimmick. (Owns the '13 gt.)
No it does not count wheel spin in the distance but the results are still way off. Unless we're running side by side doing 12.5 in 90* weather.. Stock.

2) Even though I agree the Mustang sounds better stock, it does not by any means 'scream.'

3) HIDs produce less forward light. Normal driving you probably don't notice, but on dark highways it makes all the difference.

BTW, the voice commands and blutooth on the mustang SUUUUUCCCCCKKKKSS!

F+
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
Mr pogo
 
Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 327
I have to admit, Ford has had the lock on the mid40s secretary market with their V-6 Mustang for quite awhile now.
ever since the LeBaron was discontinued.
Mr pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.