Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Pduddie187

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6
How to paint V6 Engine Cover

Alright guys so here is a little DIY 2012 V6 engine cover paint project that I just tackled. I originally did this project with a contrast silver/grey color but did not like it. Trying to keep the black and red color scheme so I decided to do it over again. It was a pain to get off the paint that I had applied the first time I tackled the project, but I think it was well worth it.

First a list of the supplies needed which I was able to purchase at a local Pep Boys store:
1. 11oz spray can of Adhesive Promoter (primer)
2. 12oz spray can of Duplicolor Engine Red paint
3. 12oz spray can of Engine Gloss Clear (clear coat)
4. 1500 & 2000 grit dry/wet sandpaper sheets (packet of sheets come in qty.3)
5. 1 X-Acto knife
6. 1 roll of 3M Automotive Performance Masking tape (green)

I first took the engine cover off the engine block, just need to make sure that you don’t attempt this right after the car has been running. Even though the plastic cover might not feel hot, it needs to be around room temp for the primer and paint to settle properly.

Take the cover and wash it with regular car wash soap just to get a cleaner surface to start with, rinse and dry. I then used my 1500 grit sand paper and thoroughly sanded the area where I planned on painting. I used this higher grit because I did not want to deform any of the original edges or surface. Once I went through the 1500 grit, I went to the 2000 grit and repeated the previous step to get an extra smooth surface. After the sanding is complete I grabbed a dirty t-shirt to clean off any excess dust that came from the sanding.

Next step is very important and critical as this will determine how the end result of the job looks. Taping the sections that you do not want to be painted. It seems simple, but if one corner is off just a little that will show once the new paint is applied. It took me a good 45 minutes to get the tape on to where I felt it was satisfactory. If you want to go with the same look I did and have the stripes painted one after the other, the best way to get the tape inside the lines is to take the back of the X-Acto knife and press down following through till the center circle. This method worked for me. I then took the actual X-Acto knife and cut down the lines in the center of the cover. All that needs to be done is follow the edges and bring the knife straight down to the center. No need to use much downward force, the knife is sharp enough and will cut straight through the tape. Use this same method for removing any excess tape overlapping any of the corners or edges sections.

Once I had my tape in place I used my Adhesive Promoter to get a nice coat of primer laid down. I waited about 10 minutes and repeated this step again. Now I read that I should have waited for it to settle on the plastic cover over night, but me being impatient I took a box fan to dry it in a much more timely fashion.

After I felt the cover and could tell the primer had been dried I went on to spray the first coat of paint. The first coat was light, just enough to cover the original sections. Make sure to keep the can at least 8 inches away from the cover and keep your spraying motion in an even direction to avoid any darker spots or drips. After applying the first coat I let it completely dry overnight to ensure the paint took to the cover. The next day well after I got home from work I applied a 2nd and 3rd coat. I might have been able to get away with an additional 4th coat, but I was out of paint and not running to a Pep Boys at 8:30PM for a can of paint.

The following day I applied the clear coat to give it that extra shine. I laid the first coat, put the box fan on it so it could dry faster. After about 10 minutes I laid down 1 heavier coat to give it the finishing touch. Make sure as you are spraying the clear coat that you do not keep it spraying in 1 spot as it will then appear on the new paint with a whitish spot. The whitish area will eventually go away as it is dried but it will be shinier then the rest of the paint. I learned the hard way with the first time I tackled this project. I let this sit overnight to dry completely.

The last step and the exciting part if removing the tape from the cover to unveil the finished product. I know this is a simple project, but for me it was fun and the pride of doing something yourself is much more rewarding than going out and buying one already done.

I hope this was informational in the method and steps. Let me know what you guys think!!!
Attached Images

Pduddie187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Romerocamaro

Drives: 2010 Inferno orange RS
Well looks like I have a project to try this weekend.
Romerocamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Pduddie187

It was fun man, the best part is seeing something come out nice that you did. Just take your time with the tape. Enjoy brother!
Old 09-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE ☪

Drives: 2013 Camaro
If someone messes up you can buy mine cheap. lol
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Romerocamaro

Well I did it over the weekend, and am rather proud of the way it looks. My only problem was taping, huge pain in the ass. Will post pics later.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
seanjhon

Drives: 2013 camaro
What was your process of removing the old paint for prep for new paint?
seanjhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
Romerocamaro

Well here it is sorry it took so long.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #8
Pduddie187

It came out bad ass Romerocamaro! The tape was the most difficult part, but as you see...patience pays off my friend!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
Pduddie187

seanjhon - This was another pain to deal with. I first sanded it down as best as I could to get to the original plastic of the cover. Next I used a spray can of a paint remover I got over at PepBoys. I don't have the name handy right now, but it was like 14 bucks for the can. I sprayed over the sanded down paint, let it sit for a while. Once I felt the paint remover did all it could do as far as removing the paint, I wet sanded with 1500 grit sand paper just enough to get to the original part.

There were some spots where the paint would not come off and for those I used a regular razor blade and scraped it off as best as I could. Some spots did dig into the actual plastic so I sanded 1 more time to get it as even as I could.

Once the main layer of paint is off and everything is clean, the new paint took to the cover just fine. I needed a few more coats than it should have took if it was the original cover from the start. It sucked to do, but the outcome was worth it.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:54 PM   #10
davethewave62

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
Looks awesome dude!

That's American Ingenuity for ya