Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-17-2017, 03:32 AM   #1
lionssfan
drive it like U stold it

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Peddar Coilover rear shock upper bushing pops out hits trunk floor

Anyone have this problem with the rear upper shock bushing popping out of the upper A-arm? This is the second time its happened hitting a bump. The first time it was the rear left side. Now it happened on the right rear side. I have the pedder coil-overs. The first time it happened I removed the upper arm and just pressed the bushing back in. I hit a good size bump the first time. But this time not much of a bump at all it seemed.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '73 Camaro SS, '77 T/A
Forgetting to install #10 or 14 will pull #13 Insulator right out of the mounting plate and make a racket.
https://www.nationalgmparts.com/auto...omponents-scat
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The hour glass bushings in the OEM plate push out occasionally with all OEM parts. The Z/28 has denser, harder bushings.

The issue is with geometry. The strut shaft is constantly working, loading against the fat end of the hour glass. The hard the rubber, the greater the pressure. The greater the pressure the higher the probability of the shaft seal geting deformed and leaking.

The fix. a new set of upper rear spring mounts with fresh rubber or go Z/28 and take your chances with the seals.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
lionssfan
drive it like U stold it

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The hour glass bushings in the OEM plate push out occasionally with all OEM parts. The Z/28 has denser, harder bushings.

The issue is with geometry. The strut shaft is constantly working, loading against the fat end of the hour glass. The hard the rubber, the greater the pressure. The greater the pressure the higher the probability of the shaft seal geting deformed and leaking.

The fix. a new set of upper rear spring mounts with fresh rubber or go Z/28 and take your chances with the seals.
1. Thanks Pete, When you say "take your chances with the seal." Your referring to the shock seal itself not holding up and leaking due to the added stress the denser z-28 bushing puts on it?

2. I would go with the OEM bushings. Shocks would be more expensive to replace. if I go with the OEM bushings can they be bought separate and pressed in the old control arm or do you have to buy the whole upper control arm with the bushing?
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Sorry I missed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
1. Thanks Pete, When you say "take your chances with the seal." Your referring to the shock seal itself not holding up and leaking due to the added stress the denser z-28 bushing puts on it?

Correct.

2. I would go with the OEM bushings. Shocks would be more expensive to replace. if I go with the OEM bushings can they be bought separate and pressed in the old control arm or do you have to buy the whole upper control arm with the bushing?
Only as an assembled component.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote