Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
fireresq157

 
fireresq157's Avatar
 
Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,027
USB port what is the best hardware to use?

I know this was briefly touched upon when only a few dozen of the members had their car. Now that it's been a while and the numbers have increased I would like to know from your experience what has worked the best for MP3s? Flash drive; Mp3 player; memory card adapter etc. Also please list the memory size model number and brand. Also list any issues you've had with each and what you would recommend if you have tried multiple devices.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
Sadly, an iPod. It's the only thing that can do over 2500 songs
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville
 
Hemlawk's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,073
ZUNE mother Efer! UCF, shhhhhhhhuuuuush

Zune is more compatible with your pc.
__________________

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,430
What's a Zune?
__________________
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
paulv7260
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM L99
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 299
I don't know which is best, per se, but my iPod has performed flawlessly including access to my playlists. I've been too busy driving to experiment with a thumb drive but I will try it out soon.

Paul
__________________
2SS/RS SIM, L99, Black Interior, Sunroof, Polished 20's

Ordered 11/29/2008
Delivered 06/05/2009
VIN 2G1FK1EJ2A9111158
paulv7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
ralyrat
 
ralyrat's Avatar
 
Drives: RS/SS Vector Tuned Kooks Roto
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Passing you...
Posts: 87
I started out with my IPhone worked great but no enough storage. Purchased a New 120 GB IPod to leave in the car, Now I have all of my entire Music collection, and quickly searchable
__________________
2010 RS/SS Vector Tuned, with Kooks Headers and Roto-Fab CAI
ralyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
NightmareSS

 
NightmareSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 1,388
i bought a sandisk thumbstick flash memory...8gb was told it can hold 4000 soungs...dont have my car yet, but i hope it works well when i get it next month
__________________
NightmareSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
fireresq157

 
fireresq157's Avatar
 
Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,027
The only thing I concerned about is that flashdrives i heard, have to re-index every time you turn your car on. So the bigger(more music) you get the longer it will take to start playing. Can someone confirm this? or is there a solution to that problem.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,199
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The_Blur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
mickss

 
mickss's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
What's a Zune?
http://social.zune.net/home.aspx?culture=en-us
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
I said sadly because I HATE iPods.

BUT, I would NOT reccomend a Zune to use over USB. The PDIM module can only index (play) up to 2500 songs for all devices besides iPods. The reason is that the indexing for iPods is handled by the iPod whereas for all other devices the PDIM module has to do the indexing. Due to a dumb RAM limitation in the module, it is limited to 2500 songs. So unless you have less than 2500 songs, your only option is to either use an MP3 player through the aux port or use an iPod. Of course if you're getting a 1LT or 1SS it's a moot point since you don't get the USB port anyways. In that case, Zune all the way.

However, once I get my car I will be experimenting with this and trying to figure out a way around this. I will not rest until this is resolved. I will be taking it to the service department and pointing to the manual that says 10,000 songs even though it stops at 2500 songs in real life. Maybe they'll issue a new module and fix the stupid thing. 2500 is a stupidly low number.

And nightmare, unless your songs are actually 30 second clips or crap quality, you won't be fitting 4000 songs on a 8gb drive. You'd be lucky to get over 2000. So in your case, USB flash drive all the way (since you won't cross that 2500 song barrier).
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl
 
CamaroSkooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,684
I have a Zen Vision W 30GB and the car told me it wouldn't work :/ So I guess 30gigs is too big for the car, because I'm fairly certain I don't have more than 2500 songs on it yet, most of the memory on my Zen is movies.

So, I bought a handful of 2gig "Transcend" USB sticks to put my different genre's on and go from there...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I have a Zen Vision W 30GB and the car told me it wouldn't work :/ So I guess 30gigs is too big for the car, because I'm fairly certain I don't have more than 2500 songs on it yet, most of the memory on my Zen is movies.

So, I bought a handful of 2gig "Transcend" USB sticks to put my different genre's on and go from there...
The not working has less to do with the size of the player but the brand and model of the player. It likely doesn't support the "PlayFromDevice" profile that is required to play songs directly from the device.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,215
A $5 memory stick...
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
trudawg660

 
Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,642
Got to love apple.....its taking over the world. i have two apple computers and a 160gb ipod
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl
 
CamaroSkooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
The not working has less to do with the size of the player but the brand and model of the player. It likely doesn't support the "PlayFromDevice" profile that is required to play songs directly from the device.
Well, according to the specs, the player is a "Play-for-Sure" device, and that's what the Camaro is "supposed" to support, so I dunno.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
LadiesMan217

 
LadiesMan217's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 1,679
I have a question...and I'm sure this is dumb to most of you, but it has to do with compatibility.

Right now, the only "iPods" I have is a 4th gen iPod and my first gen iPhone. The 4th gen iPod won't play the music...but it does charge in the USB port. The iPhone works flawlessly. My problem is that I like to keep my phone on me and I don't want to have to keep unplugging it and plugging it back in whenever I get in the car.

So, I went out and bought an 8GB Flash drive today. Before I open it...I want to make sure it's going to work. (If it's not, I'm just going to buy an iPod Nano and call it a day).
iTunes music isn't in mp3 format. Is it still a simple "drag and drop" application to allow it to be read on a flash drive or do I have to convert them into mp3 prior to putting them on the drive?
__________________
Proud Member of NEC5!
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #18
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
My problem is that I like to keep my phone on me and I don't want to have to keep unplugging it and plugging it back in whenever I get in the car.
Bluetooth all the way
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #19
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
I have a question...and I'm sure this is dumb to most of you, but it has to do with compatibility.

Right now, the only "iPods" I have is a 4th gen iPod and my first gen iPhone. The 4th gen iPod won't play the music...but it does charge in the USB port. The iPhone works flawlessly. My problem is that I like to keep my phone on me and I don't want to have to keep unplugging it and plugging it back in whenever I get in the car.

So, I went out and bought an 8GB Flash drive today. Before I open it...I want to make sure it's going to work. (If it's not, I'm just going to buy an iPod Nano and call it a day).
iTunes music isn't in mp3 format. Is it still a simple "drag and drop" application to allow it to be read on a flash drive or do I have to convert them into mp3 prior to putting them on the drive?
I thought you could stream the music from the iPhone via the cars Bluetooth connection?
__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
LadiesMan217

 
LadiesMan217's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
I thought you could stream the music from the iPhone via the cars Bluetooth connection?
Whuh??? You CAN??? That would solve EVERYTHING!

Would it still work with the steering wheel controls?

I thought Bluetooth was only for phone.
__________________
Proud Member of NEC5!
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #21
fireresq157

 
fireresq157's Avatar
 
Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
Whuh??? You CAN??? That would solve EVERYTHING!

Would it still work with the steering wheel controls?

I thought Bluetooth was only for phone.
You can hear the audio that your bluetooth devise is playing but will have little to no control I beleive. Also knowing the limitations on bluetooth I doubt it can even come close to giving you the quality of audio comming directly from a well recorded MP3.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #22
LadiesMan217

 
LadiesMan217's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
You can hear the audio that your bluetooth devise is playing but will have little to no control I beleive. Also knowing the limitations on bluetooth I doubt it can even come close to giving you the quality of audio comming directly from a well recorded MP3.
Which brings me back to my original question

Oh well, I'll just try it...worse comes to worst, I still have an 8gb flash drive.
__________________
Proud Member of NEC5!
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #23
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
iPhone software version 3.0 will support bluetooth streaming. The current version does not.

If your songs were purchased from the iTunes store before recently, they will more than likely not work without upgrading them to "iTunes Plus" or whatever. You will then have to convert them to mp3. This should be relatively easy to do in iTunes. If you use iTunes to rip CDs to your computer, make sure you change the configuration to use MP3 instead of their stupid AAC (mp4/m4a) format. Once your songs are in MP3 format, it should be a pretty easy copy and paste to the flash drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Well, according to the specs, the player is a "Play-for-Sure" device, and that's what the Camaro is "supposed" to support, so I dunno.
Not all "PlaysForSure" devices support "PlayFromDevice". I know it's stupid and confusing but that's the way it is...
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #24
LadiesMan217

 
LadiesMan217's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
iPhone software version 3.0 will support bluetooth streaming. The current version does not.

If your songs were purchased from the iTunes store before recently, they will more than likely not work without upgrading them to "iTunes Plus" or whatever. You will then have to convert them to mp3. This should be relatively easy to do in iTunes. If you use iTunes to rip CDs to your computer, make sure you change the configuration to use MP3 instead of their stupid AAC (mp4/m4a) format. Once your songs are in MP3 format, it should be a pretty easy copy and paste to the flash drive.


Not all "PlaysForSure" devices support "PlayFromDevice". I know it's stupid and confusing but that's the way it is...
Yeah, I tried two different flash drives and only one song is playable in the car. (It's the same song). Nothing even shows up in the menues...aside from that one song.

How do you upgrade to iTunes Plus? Is that an additional charge on top of the $.99/song?

Thanks for the answer.
__________________
Proud Member of NEC5!
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #25
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
Yeah, I tried two different flash drives and only one song is playable in the car. (It's the same song). Nothing even shows up in the menues...aside from that one song.

How do you upgrade to iTunes Plus? Is that an additional charge on top of the $.99/song?

Thanks for the answer.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1711 has info on iTunes Plus.

Then after that you'll still have to convert them to MP3s... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550

BTW, I am NOT recommending anyone use iTunes. I can't stand iTunes and their overpriced pseudo-monopoly. Other stores such as the Amazon store or Zune store (doesn't require a Zune for the non-DRM tracks) are MUCH better options. But by following the above steps you will effectively free yourself (for a small fee lol) of the iTunes/iPod chains.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB port stopped working philthy Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 85 11-11-2009 06:14 PM
USB port The_Stache Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 85 09-20-2009 01:44 PM
USB Port Camaro's from Dave Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 6 05-21-2009 07:22 AM
USB Port location/relocation 2ssJB Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 15 05-01-2009 04:28 AM
USB Port and Acc input in stereo Amelia98 Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 18 03-06-2009 05:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.