Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
gkviper192

Drives: TBSS
Intake sizes... How big is too big ?

OK so I'm not familiar with how many different brand CAI's there are for the zl1 but I have a couple questions. Which brand has the largest diameter intake tube? Has it been tested against any of the smaller intakes to see if there is a difference in power? Once you get to something like a 4 inch intake, will going to a 4.5 or even 5 inch diameter pick up power on a stock or modified car? Looking for some insight on this since the blower can only spin so fast it makes me curious.

Thanks,
Greg
gkviper192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
09fa5

Drives: 2012 Zl1
Ive tried a lot of intakes biggest one is airaid
Old 10-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
not sure about the inlet tube but the roto fab has the biggest filter
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Bone Stock

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Summit White, 6M, Recaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09fa5 View Post
Ive tried a lot of intakes biggest one is airaid
I personally like the look of the airraid one, because it closely resembles the one on the new Z28. I wonder why it is one od the few that require a tune?
Bone Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Meister@Torq

Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
Airaid is the biggest and our logs have shown it moves/supports the most airflow. On the same setup it was worth an additional 12rwhp but they all work great!
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Joe@CPR.com

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
They all work great but we prefer roto-fab or airaid they both are local to us here in AZ so it's nice being able to help someone local plus getting parts fast. if you want any pricing let us know
We drop ship parts nationwide! #1 dealer in mcleod, nitrous outlet, and kooks.
www.cordesracing.com
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing
480-359-5914 joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
09fa5

Drives: 2012 Zl1
i have airaid with modded airbox and IATs run pretty close to ambient and o have lot of power compared to other intakes
Old 11-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkviper192 View Post
OK so I'm not familiar with how many different brand CAI's there are for the zl1 but I have a couple questions. Which brand has the largest diameter intake tube? Has it been tested against any of the smaller intakes to see if there is a difference in power? Once you get to something like a 4 inch intake, will going to a 4.5 or even 5 inch diameter pick up power on a stock or modified car? Looking for some insight on this since the blower can only spin so fast it makes me curious.

Thanks,
Greg
Your engine is a big air pump. As long as the tube and/or filter is not restricting airflow, it does not matter how big of diameter you go. Your motor is not changing and still is pumping the same.

Put it this way. Lets just say your engine pulls 500 CFM, and you have a 4" tube and an air filter that are each capable of pulling 1000 CFM, there is no restriction on your airflow. Now you go to a 6" tube and a bigger air filter, each capable of pulling 1500 CFM. Do you think your motor is going to make more power? No it will not, your motor is still pulling the same amount 500 CFM regardless. On top of that, if your tube is a lot bigger than the TB, depending on how you have to reduce it down you can actually cause more airflow issues with turbulence. This is where having a flow bench and design software with airflow simulations and being able to test these things takes its part in development.

I hope that helps.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
There will be a difference, how much of a difference, I cannot say for sure, at these sizes the difference could be negligible. But working as a refrigeration tech I know about pipe sizing for our systems, and one of the things you are looking for is pressure drop, so while a system could work with a smaller pipe size you lose a small bit of your capacity due to the added resistance caused by the smaller pipe. That being said there is a point of diminishing returns for example a 6" intake vs a 10" intake would more than likely be 100% the same , on an engine like the LSA
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkviper192 View Post

Thanks,
Greg
Hello Greg, What you need to consider is the tube is also a Torque reporting device and the size of the tube is critical to this calculation.

This is a Case Where bigger is NOT better.

The 4 inch inlet tube is appox 102 mm the throttle body is 87 MM or 90 if you use an LS3 TB.

So you can see that the intake tube is not the restriction.

The 4 inch inlet tube can flow More air than the engine can consume.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote