Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HURST
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
ChrisV
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS/RS White Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 18
Top closing issue

I have a 2014 vert and from time to time the top when closing acts a little weird. What happens is that when the front end of the top when closing gets straight over your head the passenger side will keep closing and the driver side will more or less stop going forward, the top is kind of twisting. I just have to retract the top a bit adn try closing again and it will work fine. Is this normal to happen from time to time. From what I can see there is no damage or bents arms.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Baba

 
Baba's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USAREUR, CONUS/DOD-A, VA
Posts: 1,718
I don't believe I've heard of this issue before as a regular occurrence. I've had something similar happen when I was parked on the side of the road at my cousin's house.

My convertible was NOT sitting on level ground but leaning to the right (a fair amount) and when I attempted to put the up, it didn't come down evenly. I retracted it, pulled back onto the street where it was level, put the top down and then re-parked, this time not so far over so the car wouldn't lean as much. The top came down evenly without any issue. I always make sure I'm on fairly level ground when I put the top up. This does NOT happen when I'm parked on a hill - as long as the car isn't "leaning" to one side.

Are you the original owner? Are you parked on level ground when this happens?
__________________
2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Summit White
Black Leather
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
ChrisV
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS/RS White Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 18
I bought it used from a chevy dealer with 6000 miles on it this year.
Yes I was on level ground. When it does it, it looks like the driver side gets binded up somewhere and stops progressing forward. I always watch for it so it wont go to far and damage anything.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
SatSky08
 
SatSky08's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Saturn Sky, '14 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 44
Never seen this on my '14. Sounds as if something is binding. I wonder if, when it happens, you could stop the top where it is, get out of the car, and pull (gently) on the top to try to identify the where it's hanging up. Might just be a mechanical pivot hanging up, or perhaps the fabric snagging on something?
__________________
SatSky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Candr3535
 
Candr3535's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Galloway,NJ
Posts: 641
Find a Chevy dealer. Knock on wood I've not had a problem with my 13. Good luck but definitely have it looked at soon as possible.
__________________
695 RWHP / 660 RWTQ @ 13.5 PSI
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice for a lil extra Horsepower .....
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
Baba

 
Baba's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USAREUR, CONUS/DOD-A, VA
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
I bought it used from a chevy dealer with 6000 miles on it this year.
Yes I was on level ground. When it does it, it looks like the driver side gets binded up somewhere and stops progressing forward. I always watch for it so it wont go to far and damage anything.
Did you purchase your convertible as a GM / Chevy Certified Pre-Owned (CPO)? If so, you *should* be covered.
__________________
2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Summit White
Black Leather
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
ChrisV
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS/RS White Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 18
Yes it is a CPO from chevy.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
Baba

 
Baba's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USAREUR, CONUS/DOD-A, VA
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Yes it is a CPO from chevy.
Then I suggest you take it to your local dealer and have them address themselves to this issue.
__________________
2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Summit White
Black Leather
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
OrangeVert
"Catharine"
 
OrangeVert's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
I don't believe I've heard of this issue before as a regular occurrence. I've had something similar happen when I was parked on the side of the road at my cousin's house.

My convertible was NOT sitting on level ground but leaning to the right (a fair amount) and when I attempted to put the up, it didn't come down evenly. I retracted it, pulled back onto the street where it was level, put the top down and then re-parked, this time not so far over so the car wouldn't lean as much. The top came down evenly without any issue. I always make sure I'm on fairly level ground when I put the top up. This does NOT happen when I'm parked on a hill - as long as the car isn't "leaning" to one side.

Are you the original owner? Are you parked on level ground when this happens?
Baba, thanks for mentioning - this makes perfect sense. I don't usually park on uneven (left to right) ground, but if I so will remember that's not the best place to put the top down/up.

Kind regards,
- Paul
__________________
OrangeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #10
Baba

 
Baba's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USAREUR, CONUS/DOD-A, VA
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Baba, thanks for mentioning - this makes perfect sense. I don't usually park on uneven (left to right) ground, but if I so will remember that's not the best place to put the top down/up.

Kind regards,
- Paul
You're welcome!
__________________
2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Summit White
Black Leather
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.