Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Finally detailed the engine bay

Well, after close to 4 years of owning this car and continually putting it off due to fear of f'n something up I finally just dove in and washed the engine bay. I wish I would have taken a before picture but it was fairly dirty as you can imagine for being 4 years old. Most of the wires in our bay are wrapped in that split conduit and some aren't. I wanted to dress the bay up a little bit so I went to Home Depot and bought some 3/8" and 1/2" split conduit from the electrical department that people use when running wires for outdoor lighting. I wrapped whatever exposed wires I had with this and put a plastic bag over my CAI and went to town with water and some Adams APC.

Adams APC cut right through all the grime and junk and beginning on the underside of the hood and obviously working down, I washed the bay. I followed up with some Adams In and Out spray which really brought the black trim and cover pieces back to life. The stuff isn't greasy at all so it doesn't leave behind any film or whatever that dirt can get attracted too.

I ran the car for about 10 minutes after finishing up and it was a little touchy at first as I saw smoke and it smelled a bit bad but I think it was just the APC burning off from where I may not have rinsed off well enough. Honestly, the most time consuming part was pushing the wires through the split conduit. Even though it is split in half, it was such a pita to get it over the wires that it took forever.

Tools:
Adams APC
Adams In and Out Sprsy
Split conduit from Home Depot
Plastic bags

*EDIT* I know the CAI is dirty as hell, I couldn't find my K&N cleaner/oil so I didn't touch it yet. I'll probably take care of it this week though.
Attached Images

bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
looking good!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Thanks man. I really enjoy your videos too.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Looks great. I would suggest hosing down the engine compartment on a regular basis from now on to prevent the buildup of dust. I lived in dusty Tucson, AZ with my Camaro for about 4 years and I rinsed down my engine compartment once every 2 months or so. This prevented the buildup of dust and grime. Modern engine electronics are sealed from the factory really well so light pressure water on your engine is not a big deal. I always avoided direct spray on the fuse box, ECM, and ignition coils though.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote