Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dynomax Exhausts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
G.E.

Drives: black on black twenty ten ss/rs
Black car: better off getting touch up paint from dealership or?

Should I get some touch up paint from dealer or walmart?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
ssjoe
Ollie

Drives: 02 Subrbn/94 Prizm/10 SSRS :)
I just ordered some for my RJT. First, you figure you spend 38k on the damn car they would include some touch up paint with the car, like they use to. Well I called the dealer to order some and they said they needed the vin, so they could get an exact match. Will it match exactly, doubt it, but at least I know it came from Chevy, so it will be closer then buying some paint from Wal Mart. Just my two cents. BTW it cost me something like 14.95 or 17.95. I was in shock that he said I had to buy it, so not sure of the exact price. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
left

Drives: Red Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.E. View Post
Should I get some touch up paint from dealer or walmart?

I doubt they will have it in Walmart, maybe at Pep Boys if it's a popular color.

I just ordered some paint online too from http://www.touchuppaintonline.com/ for $15 or so. Just kind of annoying that the dealership didn't include some with the car. I was washing my car and notice this chip on the hood and nearly flipped out The paint was a good match, but since it's brush on, it's good but not perfect. I guess there's probably no better way to fix it, unless I get another hood, a carbon fiber one sounds good
left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjoe View Post
I just ordered some for my RJT. First, you figure you spend 38k on the damn car they would include some touch up paint with the car, like they use to. Well I called the dealer to order some and they said they needed the vin, so they could get an exact match. Will it match exactly, doubt it, but at least I know it came from Chevy, so it will be closer then buying some paint from Wal Mart. Just my two cents. BTW it cost me something like 14.95 or 17.95. I was in shock that he said I had to buy it, so not sure of the exact price. Good luck!
I agree, they should have given the touch up paint like they used to, but they probably ran out of money on those expensive plastic bags they gave us our owners manual in.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Dealer
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Was yours one bottle or two? Because RJT is a tricoat.
I provided my vin to www.paintscratch.com and got two pens for touch up. They match perfectly.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Betblak

Drives: 2010 BlackneSS
$38K and no touch up paint, no owner's manual cover. Must have been part of the bankruptcy plan.
Betblak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
ssjoe
Ollie

Drives: 02 Subrbn/94 Prizm/10 SSRS :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Was yours one bottle or two? Because RJT is a tricoat.
I provided my vin to www.paintscratch.com and got two pens for touch up. They match perfectly.
Not sure, I didn't get it yet. I ordered last week. If I get one bottle I will bring that to their attention. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
best way i've been told to apply touch up paint is to use a toothpick, little at a time.
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'm actually in the process of doing the Langka system with the dealership touch-up paint. At first glance it doesn't look to be a very good match at all, but I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt until it's dried and cleaned up with the Langka stuff. I'll post my impressions and maybe a couple pics tonight when I get done.

And I'm with everyone else- when I paid $30000 for my car, charging me $14 for a tiny little bottle of paint is kind of infuriating. I could see not including it from the factory, but if the customer calls and asks, it should be provided free of charge.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Black on Black
Smokin Bowties Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I agree, they should have given the touch up paint like they used to, but they probably ran out of money on those expensive plastic bags they gave us our owners manual in.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
mousemotor

Drives: 2010 camaro ss,pontiac G6
ive had very good results with www.drcolorchip.com
mousemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
I would get the touch up paint from the dealer personally and like all of you said..Its pretty annoying that they wouldnt give you a free bottle.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
I'm not sure where you are at in Texas but, check out English Color.

www.englishcolor.com

They will mix a little as 2oz of paint to match any vehicle.
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Good god man! ANY body shop has this paint in gal containers on their mixing bench. Should not cost more than 5 bucks for a typical touch up bottle.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #16
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
OK so here's my thoughts on the factory touch up paint 24 hrs later---- abysmal. It was such a terrible match that it stood out more than when the chips were there. It was some sickly, flat light grayish color. The only place it worked at all was on the gills in the very very tiny spots. The larger rock ding above my door was so awful I just removed the paint.

The Langka system worked pretty well though. I think that that system is a winner for removing the little blob that comes from filling in chips. I don't fault Langka for the failure here.

I ended up rubbing out most of the paint from the chips with the Blob Remover from Langka. So now, $40 for Langka and $14 for paint, and I'm back exactly where I started.

I don't know about other colors, but for CGM I wouldn't pay a nickel for the GM stuff unless maybe I got a bad batch. I'll probably call them and see whats up.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
webnola

Drives: camaro
I have used automotivetouchup a few times with above average results. They have a huge selection of colors for '10 camaros, including all three different flavors of black - http://automotivetouchup.com/choosec...t&model=camaro
webnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
karlsbad

Drives: e39 M5
car touch up paint industry dirty little secrets

Here are the dirty little secrets the touch up paint industry would prefer you not know.

1. Mass produced touch up paint whether bought at the dealer with official logo or a mass retailer...is a crap shoot for matching. Think about it, thousands of models from all of the major mfgrs. from 50+ years of manufacturing and thousands of colors...do you think they made up your exact to code formula in your tiny little bottle and how many bottles of touch up paint are sold for your exact make, model & color every week just to have them just sitting around...

*mass produced touch up paint for economics and logistics is made in large quantities and then packaged into containers with the corresponding model year color info...it’s a color that is most likely "very close" to YOUR color however chances are you are not getting your EXACT color code formula. So for instance a certain metallic blue might be a close match for several different makes, models and years.

2. If you buy touch up paint from any vendor online or offline that mixes to order and gives you less than 2oz there is a good chance your paint will NOT be an EXACT match. Why you ask?
2oz is considered in the automotive paint refinishing industry to be the smallest volume to accurately mix to code. You see by mixing .05 oz or even 1.0 oz some of the toners can zero out. This means the paint mixture is not exact bc it’s missing some toners.

*when you are spraying automotive paint exact match is mandatory (if you like to do nice work that is)...with hand touch ups for chips etc sometimes you can get away with "close" and this is precisely why the mass producers can get away with this...most people will never notice or if they do...figure they got a bad batch...end of story.

*as one person on this thread said "any paint shop should be able to mix you up something for $5.00". maybe 20 yrs ago not anymore, modern urethane paint is expensive. Also for a automotive paint shop to mix 2oz to code...is really more of a hassle and a customer service. they do it for customers bc they buy other supplies that do make the shop money. I dont know any paint suppliers here in San Diego that will mix 2oz to code for less than $19.00 and thats a wholesale jobber price. Its just a hassle for them and not a money maker.

*most mobile pros that do touch up repair work have their own system and mix to code on the spot. They get the paint formula online and mix accruately to code with a portable digital scale. These pro paint systems run from $1500 to $10K

3. Here is the answer to what happened to the good old days when they gave you touch up paint with the car and why you wouldn't want it anyway. Touch up paint in little bottle has a shelf life of roughly 60 days before a much of the solvents evaporate. Sure you can add in some reducer if the paint has thickened, but it’s NEVER the same as fresh mixed paint. (NEVER keep touch up paint in your car glove, box trunk etc exposed to excess heat it will accelerate the evaporation of the solvents.)

* I do agree with one person...manufacturers if they really wanted to promote good will would be to give a customer a bottle of touch up paint as a courtesy not at the time of sale but when the customer gets the scratch...however that of course would take money away from their body shop...so this will never happen :(

*You will NEVER catch a pro using old touch up paint...pro's ALWAYS mix fresh , and toss whatever is left over from a hand touch up. They usually throw away more than they used on a repair...just part of doing biz. Fresh paint mixed to code will ensure the best possible repair bc it will flow better (fresh solvents and toners) and is easier to work with.

So in the end if you want EXACT matching touch up paint go find a local automotive paint supplier and ask if they will mix 2oz for you (be prepared for sticker shock) or do a Google search for "car scratch remover" you might find one company that specializes in exact match 2oz touch up paint kits that are custom mixed to your order.

Good luck my friends.
karlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousemotor View Post
No ugly touch-up globs
Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #20
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
+1
Old 08-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #21
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
You know the best place to get touch up paint? Have it professionally mixed for you.

I paid $80 for a quart of paint that perfectly matches my car. That's enough paint to paint the car and then some. The place that mixed the paint is the same place that body shops in my city use to get paint mixed for them. After all, most body shops don't mix their own paint, they have that done for them. These places can walk up to your car with a paint chart, match the color and make as much paint as you need. You don't have to worry about whether or not it will match due to paint fade because they match what they see, not what the dealership says the color is supposed to be. This is done anywhere that automotive body shop paint is sold.

The place that I use is PPG. I have one in my city. There may be a location in your city as they are a global company. When a semi threw a retread and took out my car this past spring, that was the place I bought my paint to fix the wreck, which I did myself.

For those who never saw the whole story, you can find it here. Don't want to jack the thread talking about it here.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-04-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #22
nolacamaro

Drives: 1996 camaro
I got a great match at automotivetouchup for about the same price ($80)
nolacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
karlsbad

Drives: e39 M5
mixing paint to code (app)

if any of you motor heads are into it... I will let you in on a secret. there is a free app (meant for pro's) for android and iPhone to mix almost any paint code on earth. I know about this app bc I use it almost every day.

search it in Google Play or iTunes apps

It used to be you had to pay a monthly subscription for access to the data base for most all automotive paint manufacturers...but Matrix has broken the rules and lowered the cost of entry for guys and girls to get into automotive touch up and bumper repair biz.

the app is called "Accushade" by Matrix Paints. You can see all of the toners and or pearls that make up the color of your car....its pretty cool and interesting to see just what goes into a specific color.

have fun
karlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #24
burnn1
Burnn1

Drives: 2011 2LT
Quote:
I tried the Drchip and couldn't get it to take. Watched videos and read many posts and still no luck. Could it be the poly oat?
burnn1 is offline   Reply With Quote