Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pima View Post
Will the low temperature make the car feel like it needs an alignment? I have noticed the car will drift left or right once in a while in 30 degree weather. I only have 100miles on my car so i don't think it needs an alignment

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
In short: Yes it can.

Basically: If one front tire looses grip or "slips" the car could pull the opposite direction as all of the grip has transferred to the other front tire. It is essentially doing the work of both tires, but it is on one side of the car causing the pull.....Now picture this happening back and forth as you drive down the road.. It could easily feel like it needs an alignment.

Add in rear wheel drive with a limited slip and you have a car that could be essentially "dancing" down the road in cold weather on the stock tires.

I like rear world examples: I got caught in a rain storm on the freeway in a my old 500hp Evo on grooved but worn race tires and no traction/stability. I couldn't go over 50mph without the car trying to kill me. It was all over the road and constantly breaking traction. I got home, swapped on the all season, went back out and cruised at 80 mph in the rain like everyone else (That is how we drive in Michigan )

I know they are expensive....but for those in colder climates a second set of wheels and tires (All season or snow depending on climate) to me is way cheaper in the long run vs. wrecking the car, paying a deductible and then owning a repainted or repaired car....

-Matt
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
Pima
 
Pima's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2ss/rs/1le vr.
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
In short: Yes it can.

Basically: If one front tire looses grip or "slips" the car could pull the opposite direction as all of the grip has transferred to the other front tire. It is essentially doing the work of both tires, but it is on one side of the car causing the pull.....Now picture this happening back and forth as you drive down the road.. It could easily feel like it needs an alignment.

Add in rear wheel drive with a limited slip and you have a car that could be essentially "dancing" down the road in cold weather on the stock tires.

I like rear world examples: I got caught in a rain storm on the freeway in a my old 500hp Evo on grooved but worn race tires and no traction/stability. I couldn't go over 50mph without the car trying to kill me. It was all over the road and constantly breaking traction. I got home, swapped on the all season, went back out and cruised at 80 mph in the rain like everyone else (That is how we drive in Michigan )

I know they are expensive....but for those in colder climates a second set of wheels and tires (All season or snow depending on climate) to me is way cheaper in the long run vs. wrecking the car, paying a deductible and then owning a repainted or repaired car....

-Matt
Thanks for the info man. I have a winter vehicle and only drive the 1le in good weather

Galaxy s3
Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Lio Martinez
SoCal HT5!!!!
 
Lio Martinez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxnard. CA
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Once you get out here you will be fine. I would just be carful in the mountain passes on your way if you have to go through any
Mmmmmmm not Sure if I'm crossing any mountains . I been in vegas couple of times bro but take a plane everytime this is the very first time I drive... So I'm gonna use the GPS on star turn by turn to get there....

I'm still debating what's the best time to leave, I'm out of work at 5:00 pm and dont want to get stuck to much in traffic....
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
Lio Martinez
SoCal HT5!!!!
 
Lio Martinez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxnard. CA
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
In short: Yes it can.

Basically: If one front tire looses grip or "slips" the car could pull the opposite direction as all of the grip has transferred to the other front tire. It is essentially doing the work of both tires, but it is on one side of the car causing the pull.....Now picture this happening back and forth as you drive down the road.. It could easily feel like it needs an alignment.

Add in rear wheel drive with a limited slip and you have a car that could be essentially "dancing" down the road in cold weather on the stock tires.

I like rear world examples: I got caught in a rain storm on the freeway in a my old 500hp Evo on grooved but worn race tires and no traction/stability. I couldn't go over 50mph without the car trying to kill me. It was all over the road and constantly breaking traction. I got home, swapped on the all season, went back out and cruised at 80 mph in the rain like everyone else (That is how we drive in Michigan )

I know they are expensive....but for those in colder climates a second set of wheels and tires (All season or snow depending on climate) to me is way cheaper in the long run vs. wrecking the car, paying a deductible and then owning a repainted or repaired car....

-Matt

Yeah I'm gonna invest on all season tires.... Maybe not at the moment cause the trip is planned already , and on a budget until I get my tax return... But what all season tires do ubrecommend that will fit the 1LE rims?

Also I only have 1235 miles in my 1LE should I do my free oil change before i embark on the trip? Or change the oil when i get back ?
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!
 
Vroom_vroom's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a idiot
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
Mmmmmmm not Sure if I'm crossing any mountains . I been in vegas couple of times bro but take a plane everytime this is the very first time I drive... So I'm gonna use the GPS on star turn by turn to get there....

I'm still debating what's the best time to leave, I'm out of work at 5:00 pm and dont want to get stuck to much in traffic....
Where are you coming from? There was a damn lambo at smiths today so I am gonna assume you will be ok in town
__________________
______
If you don't stop how can they give you a ticket?-The Big Tuna___
'12 1Ls Camar
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
Lio Martinez
SoCal HT5!!!!
 
Lio Martinez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxnard. CA
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Where are you coming from? There was a damn lambo at smiths today so I am gonna assume you will be ok in town


Oxnard California, I have to take the freeway 101 to start of then ill use the GPS everyone told with speed limit it can be from 5 to 6 hour drive. and to be careful with speeding at the desert cause of cops
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #21
Michael2000
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
Oxnard California, I have to take the freeway 101 to start of then ill use the GPS everyone told with speed limit it can be from 5 to 6 hour drive. and to be careful with speeding at the desert cause of cops
To avoid traffic, I would take the 101 to the 23N, then 118E, then 215E, to 15N to Vegas.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #22
LRJet35
 
LRJet35's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pima View Post
Will the low temperature make the car feel like it needs an alignment? I have noticed the car will drift left or right once in a while in 30 degree weather. I only have 100miles on my car so i don't think it needs an alignment

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Could also just be the front tires tracking in ruts in the road. With 10" wide front tires the car is pretty sensitive to any imperfections in the road and will pull pretty hard sometimes to one side or the other if one front wheel settles into a lower section of the road and tracks into it. It's happened to me a few times already and can catch you off guard if you don't have a good grip on the wheel.
LRJet35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJet35 View Post
Could also just be the front tires tracking in ruts in the road.......
Yes, 100% as well.....
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
Pima
 
Pima's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2ss/rs/1le vr.
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 268
This is exactly what i have been experiencing. Thanks for the help guys

Galaxy s3
Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
Lio Martinez
SoCal HT5!!!!
 
Lio Martinez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxnard. CA
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
To avoid traffic, I would take the 101 to the 23N, then 118E, then 215E, to 15N to Vegas.

Michael
Greatly appreciated Michael, I belive that is the same route a friend of mine adviced me to take... I'm not to used of driving thru a lot if freeways, sound a bit complicated but ill manage it with the GPS
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #26
Michael2000
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
Greatly appreciated Michael, I belive that is the same route a friend of mine adviced me to take... I'm not to used of driving thru a lot if freeways, sound a bit complicated but ill manage it with the GPS
It's not quite as complicated as it sounds. Once you get on the 23N in Thousand Oaks, it turns into the 118E in Moorpark (no exits required). The 118E ends at the 215, so if you just keep driving the same direction, east, you'll end up on the 215E. Then you'll drive that a while until you hit the 15.

Have a good trip!

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
Lio Martinez
SoCal HT5!!!!
 
Lio Martinez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxnard. CA
Posts: 1,734
Thanks Michael2000
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #28
metthem

 
metthem's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 LS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
It says when its below 20° to store tires indoors, makes me wonder how they are handling the tires while shipping these cars in February?
__________________
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.