Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
A "high performance" dry filter for your favorite aftermarket intakes!

There seems to be a demand for a dry filter vs an oiled filter for some aftermarket intakes that don't have a dry filter option. In my experimenting with random stuff, I've moved on to playing with cone filters, velocity stack designs, filter media, and the effect each has on flow.

Being an S&B dealer, I had done some reading on their "performance" dry filter media filter and I wanted to try one out. The nice thing about the S&B dry filter's is that they are fairly affordable in comparison to some oiled filters, and other competing dry filters, so if they DO work worth a crap, they are well worth the money if you are a dry filter fan.

TEST #1: Halltech Yellowjacket intake
Much to my surprise, S&B had a filter that was dimensionally the same as the Halltech K&N filter in the dry filter media, AND it was very affordable. So I figured this would be the perfect comparison test considering I have a Halltech intake here... So I bought S&B's dry, and oiled filter equivalent to the Halltech K&N. Pics below:

Top side, S&B Dry, S&B Oiled, HYJ K&N

Bottom Side, S&B Dry, S&B Oiled, HYJ K&N

One of the cool features to the S&B cone filters w/ the "Power Stack" top is that they have this awesome "airflow spike" built into them, where is the K&N's and most other brands that I have come across do not have. The S&B filter w/ this spike really seems to make a positive difference on the 2 stroke dirtbike/kart engines we dyno, even over other aftermarket filters we try, so I figure it surely can't hurt on a car, right?

I decided to clean and oil both of the oiled filters before this test, and unfortunately the S&B filter still isn't dry after cleaning so at the moment, it's comparison will be omitted, and added later.

So for today's test I just compared the HYJ K&N filter vs the S&B dry media filter using the Halltech intake tube.

Surprisingly, the S&B dry filter only flowed appx 5% worse than the K&N that comes with the Halltech intake. I'm pretty impressed, for a dry filter to flow within 5% of the "high flowing" filter that came with an aftermarket intake... I think it's pretty cool.

As an S&B dealer, we will be offering a replacement dry filter for the HYJ shortly, as it seems people do want one, so why not?

I am also on the search for dimensionally equivalent dry media filters that perform well for your other favorite aftermarket intakes that do not offer a dry filter option so stay tuned!

Have you done the homework to replace your oiled filter with a dry filter on your aftermarket intake? If so post it up! I may just test it out!

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Jason@JacFab

Reserved for test #2 (You're gonna like this one)

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Jason@JacFab

Reserved for test 3+ (suggestions?)

Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
FWIW, Halltech used S&B oiled filters, exactly like the one you show, when they first came out. I have one since myself. I bought a replacement filter from Indeed that he got from Jim and it was a K&N. Not sure why he changed but the comparison between the oiled K&N vs S&B is something i'd be intrested in. I'm running the K&N right now since I took the S&B off to clean it. I too like the spike inside but wasn't sure if actually helped or not.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote