Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
TopL3ssSS
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 189
Vs. a Smart Car

Thought this one would be interesting.

Took a 100 mile road trip to do a little shopping in Knoxville on Saturday, and saw a Camaro 1Lt convertible in Inferno Orange on the Mercedes-Benz lot, and stopped in to take a look. I find it's kinda fun now, having just bought a 2011 Camaro SS Convertible 2 months ago, to test drive about anything without the fear of wanting it...

Was leaving the lot, and noticed that the dealership had a full complement of Smart cars on the lot. Stopped, jumped out to take a look, and decided to take one for a spin, since I'd likely never see these people again. :-), so any embarrassment would be short lived.

My daughter & I ready to head out into traffic...

Took it around the block & hit it pretty hard. Acceleration was SSSLOWWW... Passenger compartment was ok, even for someone 6'4". Golf cart describes it best. The engine was a 3cylinder gasoline engine, making 70HP, with a 5 speed 'automated manual' transmission. Gear changing was accomplished by running up the RPMs, letting off the gas, and hitting the gas again. Kinda strange, but got used to it quickly. 8 airbags surround the passenger compartment. Options included a radio, A/C, power locks & windows, and panoramic sunroof. Daughter loved it. Brought it back to the dealership lot, and did a few doughnuts with salesmen watching & laughing. While I wouldn't buy one (there's more to life, than gas mileage), I can see the cult-like following that they have.

Have always wondered how easy they would be to tip over, and asked the salesman. He laughed and said, wondered the same thing ourselves, 'they won't, we've tried...'

Comparison table is below:

Camaro SS L99. SmartCar ForTwo
Displacement: 6.2L (376) V-8. Vs. 1L (61) straight 3
Transmission: 6-speed auto. Vs. 5-speed automated manual
HP: 400. Vs. 70
0-60: 4.7 secs. Vs. 12.8 secs
Quarter mile: 12.8 secs @ 108mph. Vs.20 secs @ 68mph
Turning radius: ?who cares? Vs. 28 feet
Weight: 4000 lbs. vs. 1840 lbs.

Thanks for playing along.
TopL3ssSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3,'15 Z/28 #533
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,255
Now I want to go test drive one.
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
trewyn15


 
trewyn15's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 6,094
you should have hit something to see if they're actually safe.
__________________
2000 Trans Am WS6 - 2004 Monte Carlo LS
trewyn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
302-412
 
Drives: 2013 Ram Express
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seguin Texas
Posts: 228
There one out there on the internet with a Hayabusa engine How safe is that!

Last edited by 302-412; 02-12-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: bad spelin
302-412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Normagene


 
Normagene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plymouth, Mass
Posts: 2,301
It's called a "Smart Car" because they know only an idiot would buy one. The idiots actually think they're smart for doing so. I love when I pass one in my ZL1 and I always seem to accidentally stomp on the pedal as I go by. I like the way it makes them change lanes without turning the steering wheel. The car just sort of blows over into the other lane.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Gibroni
 
Drives: '12 IOM LT 'vert
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 626
I think they're pretty cool and have their place. Good city car where traffic flows light to light, block to block. I we don't pay attention to gas mileage, there will be no life. Only an idiot denies climate change.
Gibroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
PeeBee

 
PeeBee's Avatar
 
Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Luxemburg
Posts: 1,307
You're saying?

(Just HAD to, seeing this on an MB lot, when dropping off a colleague to get his car)
Attached Images
 
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3,'15 Z/28 #533
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibroni View Post
I think they're pretty cool and have their place. Good city car where traffic flows light to light, block to block. I we don't pay attention to gas mileage, there will be no life. Only an idiot denies climate change.
I deny global warming. That's all I'm saying. No politics.
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
RubyCamaro
SSlayer
 
RubyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Springfield, TN
Posts: 13,659
I really just don't get that car. I call them Stupid cars. Just looks like a little death trap going down the road to me. I can't even imagine being on the same road with 18 wheelers in that thing. I don't care how many stinkin air bags they put in it, that car vs 18 wheeler would would just = death. I was in a horrible single car crash in a Chrisler LeBaron Coupe Turbo at 55 MPH. The car was totally unrecognizable except for the rear bumper. It looked so bad someone passed the scene & went to my place of employment & told them I was dead. My worst injury was a broken knee. I just want a little metal between me & other things when I am driving down the road. Just IMHO. Sounds like it might be a fun toy though (not on open roads).
__________________
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"
 
hrpiii's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indy
Posts: 4,296
you can't knock a car that is "dishwasher safe".
__________________
Pfadt Suspension, Supercharged, Showstopper 'bling', Pedderized by Bruce and Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
It's called a "Smart Car" because they know only an idiot would buy one. The idiots actually think they're smart for doing so. I love when I pass one in my ZL1 and I always seem to accidentally stomp on the pedal as I go by. I like the way it makes them change lanes without turning the steering wheel. The car just sort of blows over into the other lane.
there is so much prejudice and ignorance in this post it is unbelievable.

While I will agree that for the most part the SMART has no place in America, it is perfect in a lot of places around the world that still have cobblestone streets that are barely wide enough for mopeds and bicycles, plus countries that pay north of $8/gallon for petrol.


The SMART is smart for those people in those areas..

Way to think outside the box and beyond the end of your small unimpressive and obviously narrow minded world.
__________________
"A world 100% full of Prius drivers is still 100% addicted to oil. " ~ E. Musk
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
fielderLS3


 
fielderLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Portage, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,236
Smart car is the most pointless car on the road. They are a novelty that is fun as a joke on day one, but the novelty quickly wears off. For the same money, there are cars that are nearly twice as big, twice as powerful, more refined, better contented, actually get better mileage, and run on regular.

It's only redeeming quality is it can fit in tiny spaces, though surely other vehicles can do the same for much less money.
__________________
"Proven V-8 power with better efficiency than a turbo V-6"

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
hapisok
crazier than a coconut
 
hapisok's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,537
words to live by...thanks MR INCREDIBLE. it was camaro vs smart car, not smart car vs the world. in a world where both smart cars and camaros live... camaro 1, smart car 0.

thanks for sharing op
__________________
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
Habu
 
Habu's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 srt8 392 & 2010 2ss/rs
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 236
You know they gotta be fast. the one around the corner from me has duel exhaust. Time for a--->
__________________


MoveOverPeopleAreRacing!
Habu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
christianmotox


 
christianmotox's Avatar
 
Drives: ( . )( . )
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,765
Cool little cars,
__________________
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
Tysen


 
Tysen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 2,395
__________________
"I'm a man who discovered the wheel, and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn! That's what kind of man I am." - Ron Burgundy
My build thread
Tysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
christianmotox


 
christianmotox's Avatar
 
Drives: ( . )( . )
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,765
LOL, is you're dignity worth more than a clean and functioning planet for you're Grandsons?
__________________
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Normagene


 
Normagene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plymouth, Mass
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
there is so much prejudice and ignorance in this post it is unbelievable.

While I will agree that for the most part the SMART has no place in America, it is perfect in a lot of places around the world that still have cobblestone streets that are barely wide enough for mopeds and bicycles, plus countries that pay north of $8/gallon for petrol.


The SMART is smart for those people in those areas..

Way to think outside the box and beyond the end of your small unimpressive and obviously narrow minded world.
We live in America, and they sell them here, it barely met the minimum auto safety standards. How SMART can you be to get into a sardine can. Be honest now, have you ever been driving down the road and seen one, and NOT LAUGHED? I almost pee my pants I laugh so hard every time I see one. If your spouse ever buys one for your birthday, you better check to see how much they upped your life insurance policy!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
302-412
 
Drives: 2013 Ram Express
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seguin Texas
Posts: 228
Gotta be safer than a motor bike!
302-412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
christianmotox


 
christianmotox's Avatar
 
Drives: ( . )( . )
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,765
Dont know why so much hate for the smart cars and Prius. I have much respect for muscle cars and gas guzzling exotics (if i could afford a ZL1 i would buy one) but i dont hate on those cars and i dont understand why people hate them and make fun of them, people are doing their thing to save the environment, at least they are doing something.

I have a Hyundai accent for a Daily Driver cause i get great gas mileage, are you guys gonna hate my car too?
__________________
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
We live in America, and they sell them here, it barely met the minimum auto safety standards. How SMART can you be to get into a sardine can. Be honest now, have you ever been driving down the road and seen one, and NOT LAUGHED? I almost pee my pants I laugh so hard every time I see one. If your spouse ever buys one for your birthday, you better check to see how much they upped your life insurance policy!

please note.. I did state. "It has no place in America"

yes I truly believe it is has no place here amongst our super sized society, it is a death trap, though not more so that a motorcycle.

however my statement was directed at those that call it stupid or people who buy them stupid, misinformed maybe, like Prius owners, but not any more stupid than someone like me that rides a motorcycle on public streets in traffic.

i don't feel it is any more stupid or different than the Scion IQ, Fiat 500, Toyota Matrix, or the (GASP) Chevy Sonic.

would I ever buy any one of these? NOPE not on your life, i'll ride my motorcycle or walk first.

however to discount someone else's choices (after all this is the land of free choice right?) is ignorant and prejudicial.

just like it is your choice to scarf down McD, weigh 400 lbs and have a heart attack @ age 30, it is your choice to buy a sardine can on wheels and get run over by a Hummer..

and it is not my place to judge your choice.
__________________
"A world 100% full of Prius drivers is still 100% addicted to oil. " ~ E. Musk
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #22
sspolo
 
sspolo's Avatar
 
Drives: None at the moment :'(
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
LOL, is you're dignity worth more than a clean and functioning planet for you're Grandsons?
You should take a look at all the articles and documentaries there are about how much the government (specially our own) do against the environment. All for the all mighty dollar. I don't have the stats, but by people making a "green" change, things wouldn't change much since the corporations/government would remain the same.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #23
Normagene


 
Normagene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plymouth, Mass
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Dont know why so much hate for the smart cars and Prius. I have much respect for muscle cars and gas guzzling exotics (if i could afford a ZL1 i would buy one) but i dont hate on those cars and i dont understand why people hate them and make fun of them, people are doing their thing to save the environment, at least they are doing something.

I have a Hyundai accent for a Daily Driver cause i get great gas mileage, are you guys gonna hate my car too?
Don't understand why you keep calling it "hate" for smart cars. I find them unbelievably entertaining. I said earlier that I almost pee my pants every time I see one on the road. I personally would never put my loved ones in a death trap, although I do sometimes put my husband in the trunk of my ZL1, for that Hot Chick in the muscle car look. But a miniature car that just barely meets automotive minimum safety standards, well it may be good enough for your family, but I wouldn't even allow my pets to go for a ride. And yes, I agree with you it does have its necessary place. Have to admit it is the perfect clown car, and who doesn't enjoy the circus and its clowns!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
hapisok
crazier than a coconut
 
hapisok's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
please note.. I did state. "It has no place in America"

yes I truly believe it is has no place here amongst our super sized society, it is a death trap, though not more so that a motorcycle.

however my statement was directed at those that call it stupid or people who buy them stupid, misinformed maybe, like Prius owners, but not any more stupid than someone like me that rides a motorcycle on public streets in traffic.

i don't feel it is any more stupid or different than the Scion IQ, Fiat 500, Toyota Matrix, or the (GASP) Chevy Sonic.

would I ever buy any one of these? NOPE not on your life, i'll ride my motorcycle or walk first.

however to discount someone else's choices (after all this is the land of free choice right?) is ignorant and prejudicial.

just like it is your choice to scarf down McD, weigh 400 lbs and have a heart attack @ age 30, it is your choice to buy a sardine can on wheels and get run over by a Hummer..

and it is not my place to judge your choice.
word...i get where your coming from with the ignorance of some folks and i do agree. and maybe the reason some folks buy the smart car is because thats what they can afford? and no matter how silly or ridiculous the car is (and yes, some times the people who drive them), it is no reason to belittle somebody for purchasing a "smart" car when they feel they are doing their "part". honestly, its no different than folks that bash on the V6 guys that actually got it for the economical value of MPG's, insurance, payment, the lack to feel they have to impress anybody with 2 extra "cylinders", they bought it because thats what they wanted or could afford. haters gonna hate, but to each their own.

i think the smart car is the test bed for future technology and how "smarts" will be implemented years down the road, even into future "muscle cars".

here is how my point system breaks down...feel free to add

looks: camaro
practicality: camaro
power: camaro
sexiness: camaro
interior decorum: camaro
handling: camaro
fun: camaro
infotainment: camaro
sound: camaro
9 speaker audio system: camaro
top speed: camaro
1/4 mi: camaro
1/8 mi: camaro
anything mi (minus MPG's): camaro
aftermarket support: camaro
safety: camaro
seats: camaro
trunk space: camaro
pu$$y magnet (insert borat voice over): camaro
for the ladies...conversational piece leading to a flirtatious engagement: camaro
fastness: camaro
eats smart cars for breakfast lunch and dinner: camaro

MPG: smart
parking spot availability: smart
catching fire: smart
car you can put in your pocket: smart
wishes they were a camaro: smart

btw...people forget that the production of smart cars and the making of the batteries that goes into them still creates a carbon footprint. so are we really saving the world, or is it just a marketing gimmick to develop future technology?

camaro
__________________
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #25
Normagene


 
Normagene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plymouth, Mass
Posts: 2,301
See above, I get/like this guys sense of humor. What they always leave out of the footprint computation is the making of the batteries. When you factor all the resources and manufacturing processes that go into the battery raw materials and global shipping and then further refinement, tons of toxic levels of pollution (that's why the final process is done in china, original mining that commenced in Canada) you could drive a U.S. Bradley Tank as your daily driver for a year to equal the "real" footprint of driving a Prius for one year. Funny how the "green" folks ALWAYS leave that little fact out of the formula. Just ask Al Gore as he flies around in his jet, and don't forget the millions he's making from his believers, listen carefully and you can hear him saying SUCKERS....
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.