Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
bada450r

Drives: 2011 2ss blk on blk convertible
speed density tune

has anyone done it on there camaros? i have my car at A&A corvette right now getting a bunch of goodies, and they were explaining to me a little about speed density tunning, and was wondering if anyone has done it, and on what kind of build, and benefits........thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
Camaro Corvette performance tuner in Tampa

I'm a strong believer in using the MAF as long as the limits of the MAF are not being exceeded. The MAF is scaled in Hertz (HZ). The higher into the HZ you go, the more air is flowing passed the MAF which will add more fuel as its scaled property. I like keeping the MAF active as much as possible unless your forced induction and exceed its limits. If your vehicle is exceeding the Hz scale, its will reset the computer for a quick split second to bring the values down. ( the car will act like its running out of fuel for a second and buck because the computer sensed a fueling issue).

If you being to exceed its limits (push more air passed it that its build for) you either have to lie to the computer and load it up on fuel towards the end of the scale to help push it back, or go to a speed density tune where the vehicle mainly looks at the VE table.

If your going Forced Induction, Changing your MAP sensor and scaling it properly will help.

That's a little harder to calibrate these vehicles in just Speed Density since they have Co-Efficients values rather than a true VE table.

The bottom line is, if your vehicle is not exceeding the 15000 Hz values of the MAF, I wouldn't do speed density only. If your doing Forced Induction, welcome to the Speed Density world. Normal heads and cam vehicles don't exceed the MAF.

Older vehicle, the MAF scaling was much lower, and a lot of vehicle were tuned for SD.

If Im calibrating a vehicle and the MAF is failing, then you have to change the MAF or do a Speed Density calibration were the computer no longer uses the MAF.

Not to confuse you more, my corvette is a 1 bar MAP- Speed Density Enhanced custom operating system from HP Tuners. It continues to use both.

I hope that helps,
Phil

Read this :
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...20#post7838320

www.TampaTuning.com
Camaro Corvette CTS GTO Tuner Tampa Orlando Bradenton
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Pat Guerra did my tune. He first did a speed density tune, then he did a MAF tune...then he turned both on and says i have the best of both worlds. so i am running both SD and MAF. Car seems to love it!!!!
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: STUPID SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 300M axles, 3.5"alum DS, MCLeod RXT clutch, 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
No easy way to tune SD with VVT. You need computer software to change it 5 dimensionally. from the little I read on HPTuners forum.

MAF tuning works very well as Phil suggests. LS1 SD was fine, LS3/L99 different animal.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
bada450r

Ok thanks....but I was really looking to get some feedback to hear what the real world results are.....so if anyone has done it, I would like to hear how is working for them.
Bullf-16 thanks for your reply. Didn't know you could run both SD and maf tune.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
bill@hptuners

Drives: grand prix
If you plan on pushing anywhere over 6-7psi of boost speed density is the way to go. We offer custom operating systems for 2010+ Camaro's that eliminates all the VE coefficients making speed density tuning as easy as any other application. Additionally the factory maf scanning pid is limited to 655g/sec meaning you are flying blind when you go over this value. :cheers:
bill@hptuners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
quincy speeder

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Both of my cars are SD with no Maf. But they are both boosted. I found when the Maf was in the car was jerky sometimes. The tuner showed me a log which showed the maf bouncing in those area's. Now its smooth everywhere with no maf.

2008 C6, 427ci,YSI,mcleod clutch,Alky control, built tranny, custom fuel system. 985rwhp, best 1/4 -9.4 at 152mph. still trying to get the shifting down:(
quincy speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
bada450r

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy speeder View Post
Both of my cars are SD with no Maf. But they are both boosted. I found when the Maf was in the car was jerky sometimes. The tuner showed me a log which showed the maf bouncing in those area's. Now its smooth everywhere with no maf.
Nice... thats what wanted to know/hear....thanks bill qt hp tuners
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bada450r View Post
Didn't know you could run both SD and maf tune.

I didnt either but Pat G is the man in the LS tuning world. Here are his exact words in an email. I had a question about removing a check valve from my
RX Monster can and an SD tune would not be affected by this. Here is what he said:

I did an independent speed density tune to where it had perfect fueling without the MAF. Then I did an independent MAF-only tune where it had perfect fueling without the VE tables. Then I turned them both back on so now you have the benefit of both.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: STUPID SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 300M axles, 3.5"alum DS, MCLeod RXT clutch, 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 13 Camaro 1LE, 06 C6 z06, 07 Dmax
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
I didnt either but Pat G is the man in the LS tuning world. Here are his exact words in an email. I had a question about removing a check valve from my
RX Monster can and an SD tune would not be affected by this. Here is what he said:

I did an independent speed density tune to where it had perfect fueling without the MAF. Then I did an independent MAF-only tune where it had perfect fueling without the VE tables. Then I turned them both back on so now you have the benefit of both.
What Pat G means is the computer uses both systems during normal operations, its called a dynamic airflow system. This has been in place since the 90's on gm cars, but is really trick in the newer cars. How the system works is the system primarily runs off the maf, but for startup and quick throttle transitions etc. etc, the computer will reference the VE for airflow calulations. This is why a proper tuner will always dial in the VE in addition to the MAF. On the newer cars (vettes, camaros,trucks etc etc) that dont have "actual" ve table rather VE co-efficients (not as easily calibrated) and a lot of tuners simply disable Dynamic airflow which in all honesty works for the most part, but in rather more aggressive combinations i see startup issues, and simply not so crisp throttle response on quick throttle transitions IMO. I feel a proper tune should still utilize the dynamic airflow system if at all possible, its takes more time to dial in, but i feel its a better tune overall. the way you dial in each system is to isolate each system from each other, for example while dialing in VE only you set your maf fail to 0 hz, and to dial in your MAF only you disable Dynamic airflow, once done you set your dynamic airflow shut off point to your desired RPM.
Shop#: (951)677-0716
www.Cunningham-Motorsports.com
Ryne-CMS@Hotmail.com
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote