Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Mandydeth
 
Mandydeth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5
Ferman Chevrolet - Tampa, FL (Or why my brother didn't buy a Camaro)

I suppose this is a compound rant/story. If you fancy reading, be my guest, or offer whatever input you wish.

About 2 weeks ago, my brother had finally gotten his finances sorted out, and was ready to upgrade the car he had been driving for the past several years (2001 Impala). My dad was a huge Chevy nut, and he always loved the Camaro, Caprice, Corvette, and Impala. He also owned a number of them personally.

He had everything already figure out, he was looking at a 2013 2LT with Nav, and he already did his research, and through USAA he was looking at just under 30k before TT+T. So we drove over to Ferman, as it's the closest dealership to our place, we walked in and were met by Bill Jones. He initially seemed like a nice guy; however, as we browsed through the inventory, we noticed there was not a single Camaro that matched my brother's criteria. There was a convertible 2LT, and that was it. Anyway, we both sat in the manager's office, and he shot the shit, and told us how it's an odd request to have Nav in the car, since OnStar provides navigation (he rented a Camaro before, and we both agreed the OnStar nav was shit). Eventually they wasted about an hour of his time saying that it would be months until a Camaro like that would roll into the dealership, meanwhile they were trying to upsell him on the RS package, telling him "just sign here, and you can have the car" meanwhile, he was looking at spending another 4 grand on stuff he wasn't interested in. Additionally they were saying there wasn't a Camaro like what he was looking for in a 200 mile radius. Needless to say, we left the dealership with a bitter taste in our mouth. They didn't even bother offering a test drive before we left.

My brother, being the kind soul that he is, offered to take me to the Scion dealership down the road, knowing that I was suffering from a bit of affliction due to the FR-S, a car I've been eyeing for quite some time. I insisted we shouldn't go, because I didn't want to waste the salesman's time, and I really wasn't prepared to buy a car/hadn't driven stick in quite some time (been on a bike for the last 6 years), and I didn't want to embarrass myself. I made up excuses until he rolled into the lot and proclaimed we were looking at the FR-S.

I know this is going on a bit of a tangent, but I just want to emphasize where the differences in sales are... Anyway, we were dealing with Dave Errity at Courtesy Toyota/Scion. He happily pulled out a 6MT to drive, and even an AT for my brother, even though he wasn't interested in the car. I took it around the block, and as you can imagine they took me into the office to ask me about the car. I told him I would need some time to think about it, and the same story about my brother dragging me in to test drive it. His manager came in and I was expecting to have to go into "avoid the dealing mode", but instead he dehorsed me, and I took home the car for a day. I wound up buying the FR-S the next day.

After getting the car, my brother felt a little... I wouldn't say jealous, but woeful. Because he already knew what car he wanted, but somehow I ended up with one before him. When I went back to the dealership to get my financing squared away, he wound up getting an FJ Cruiser instead, because he felt like he was treated so much better at the Toyota dealership. I know it's a radically different vehicle choice, but admittedly, he was looking at all kinds of vehicles, he had looked at a Prius, Impala, Malibu, and was dreaming of the CTS, but he thought it would be too much car to worry about.

A few days later we went out with a couple of buddies, and were hooning a bit. We've taken the FR-S drifting in some back roads, my buddy has an '06 Mustang with some mods and showing off, and we met up with another friend who just got a Boss, and he felt a little sad being the only one without a sports car. The FJ is sweet in it's own right, but it's obviously not on the same page.

I suppose the TL;DR on this is Ferman Chevrolet is horrible, and if it wasn't for their inability to order a car/have on transferred to the dealership/pressure sales, I'm pretty sure my brother would be in a Camaro today, instead of a Toyota.

Not sure if anyone else has had any experience with them, but I would say that they're far below what a Chevy dealership should be.
Mandydeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"
 
el ess A's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 3,166
You asked for comments...so here they are.

Buying a car you didn't really want because you disliked that ONE ass-clown at ONE dealership and felt like someone was kissing your ass at another dealership isn't going to garner any empathy from me. Unless you go back everyday and have lunch with the salesman at the Toyota dealership, I don't give a flip about how much a dealer tries to kiss my butt or not as long as the business end of the deal goes down properly and I get the car I wanted.

Unfortunately, you fell for the "dehorsing" take the car home trick so you didn't actually avoid the dealing mode. But I'm supposing you really wanted that Scion so it wasn't going to take much of a push to buy the car you wanted. And the dealer knew that.

As for your brother, if you execute not buying something you wanted that you could get elsewhere because of some douchebag of a salesperson, then you'll buy just about anything. He deserves to be woeful. If he were really serious about buying a Camaro, he'd be driving one home, and now he KNOWS he screwed up. Maybe not get a Camaro from that particular dealer, but in Tampa, I find it very hard pressed not to find another Chevy dealer within a stone's throw that would have treated you better and got what you wanted. Plus you can still order them.

But it's good to know there's at least one DB at Ferman Chevrolet whom not to deal with.
__________________
2010/2013 Camaro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Billabongi
 
Billabongi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT\RS IOM Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 326
It's because Ferman Chevy is terrible, should of gone to Stingray. I'm about 5 miles from Ferman and bypassed it to go to Stingray for a reason. Also Courtesy is generally a good dealership.
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
zkdreads


 
zkdreads's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,784
i got my car from Ferman. last time i went there were plenty of 2lts. im suprised they didnt try to get it from another dealership or something or even say we will look for you give us a chance to find "your car". yea the salemens there suck. but i just ended up walking out on my deal. then i got a call few days later and they got my car from miami(the one i wanted). there salesmen could use a little extra training on customer service. but all in all dont buy what you dont want, your brother knew what he wanted and they didnt have it soooo walk out. to me that conversation wouldve ended right there. my parents taught me, you tell them what you want and price you want. and if they cant meet it. THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY! lol
__________________
C-LO or Sonic
"Without Struggle there is no progress"
I am your best nightmare!
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Blues45th
.........................
 
Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Posts: 920
Ferman so not a good dealership to judge your experience on. There are a handful of dealers in that area especially since I'm in that area I know and see a lot of camaros on these other lots. As for ferman lets just say don't waste your time or money on them or that dealership. They like to stick to there over 65 Buick sales.
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,081
Try Sting Ray.....here lots of positive reports from buyers there.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Mandydeth
 
Mandydeth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
then i got a call few days later and they got my car from miami(the one i wanted).
They pulled something similar with him. Either one or two days after visiting they said they had the one he wanted, it was actually the RS, not a standard 2LT. He put a $200 deposit on it, because he still wanted to mull it over. I think it was the day after that he settled with the FJ.

We spoke about it, and he said he would probably give it to my mother or trade it in for a Camaro eventually, but he's happy with it for now. I suppose it's more of a cautionary tale than anything. I agree, if he truly wanted the Camaro that bad I think he would have waited or pulled the trigger. It's probably just that initial buyer's remorse.

If he does go for it, I'll definitely refer him to Stingray.
Mandydeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Blues45th
.........................
 
Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Posts: 920
Anyplace other then ferman. Hear that ferman. We all know your games and ain't into it.
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
RatedZ
GYSOT
 
RatedZ's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 Camaro SS + '98 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 499
We bought our '13 Camaro 2SS/RS from Ferman in Tarpon Springs but the way we handled it was what we coined as the "no-bs zone". We walked in, took a '12 SS for a test drive to make sure we liked it and then cut off the salesman when he tried to sell it to us and said firmly we will only order one. No dealer trade, no taking one from their stock period. We had the options picked out and gave them the list to place our order. They did try to talk us out of the navigation system as well and give us the same line about onstar but I told him if it's on our list, we want it ordered that way.

After adding it all up I then said we are not going to play the old "let me go to my manager and see if he will accept that offer" game. I offered to buy at dealer invoice and not a penny more and I want the paperwork from Chevrolet when the order is accepted showing this cost. Our order was placed and we picked the car up on new years eve and couldn't be happier.

Now, I will say that buying a new car and ordering one isn't something new for me as my family (as well as myself) have the Ford A-Plan and I haves ordered and purchased numerous Mustangs in my time so I know how the system works and the key is to tell the salesman right up front what you want, especially when it comes to the options you are wanting. It's then up to you what you want to do if they don't have it or can't do a dealer locate. My feeling is if I am buying a new car and don't need one right now, I order every car I have purchased in the last 20 years. This way I get exactly what I want since as we all know new cars are expensive and the last thing you want is to pay for something you don't want/need or do without for something you want/need.

Now, while we have only owned the car for little over a month and haven't taken it back in for service, we'll see how they treat their customers for in reality, that is where it all counts for most. If it is not up to reasonable expectations, I will simply seek out another dealer to give my service business and will have no problem contacting Chevrolet Customer Service and have them step in to resolve any issue we may have. My opinion is the entire sales process is a pain in the a** so being firm right up front on what you want is the way to go. It will give you an idea of what you are dealing with and if you are made to feel uncomfortable or they are unwilling to work with you, there are a lot other Chevrolet dealerships around here to take your business.
RatedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
jpwickl
 
Drives: 2013 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 165
FWIW

I am torn on this subject as I do think the salesperson is full o'crap as far as the onstar navigation vs navigation in the head unit.

BUT, it sounds like you and your brother were not totally prepared for car shopping. Even though I am aware that the availability might be off, but, you can use the dealer's website AND the chevy.com website to search for inventory for what you really want.

However, I was in talks with a salesperson about a month out before I bought my car, i gave her a list of things that I definitely wanted, and things that I wanted, but wasn't a deal breaker.

About the only thing I wanted, but did not get was the mini spare tire and the jack, but five years/100,000 miles road side assistance from Chevy, and i also have road side assistance through my car insurance, I'm not too worried even if i do get a flat, except for paying for that tire.

I made the mistake of settling for a car, and even though i liked it, it bothered me up until I got my camaro.
jpwickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Blues45th
.........................
 
Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Posts: 920
Zzzzzz. We are all adults. You now what you want and I can't see anyone making you get something you didn't or don't want. Or settling for something without what you want. All I am saying that I have heard of many issues with this deal ship in question. Good luck and good shopping.
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
z28-conv
 
z28-conv's Avatar
 
Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjla67 View Post
We bought our '13 Camaro 2SS/RS from Ferman in Tarpon Springs but the way we handled it was what we coined as the "no-bs zone". We walked in, took a '12 SS for a test drive to make sure we liked it and then cut off the salesman when he tried to sell it to us and said firmly we will only order one. No dealer trade, no taking one from their stock period. We had the options picked out and gave them the list to place our order. They did try to talk us out of the navigation system as well and give us the same line about onstar but I told him if it's on our list, we want it ordered that way.

After adding it all up I then said we are not going to play the old "let me go to my manager and see if he will accept that offer" game. I offered to buy at dealer invoice and not a penny more and I want the paperwork from Chevrolet when the order is accepted showing this cost. Our order was placed and we picked the car up on new years eve and couldn't be happier.

Now, I will say that buying a new car and ordering one isn't something new for me as my family (as well as myself) have the Ford A-Plan and I haves ordered and purchased numerous Mustangs in my time so I know how the system works and the key is to tell the salesman right up front what you want, especially when it comes to the options you are wanting. It's then up to you what you want to do if they don't have it or can't do a dealer locate. My feeling is if I am buying a new car and don't need one right now, I order every car I have purchased in the last 20 years. This way I get exactly what I want since as we all know new cars are expensive and the last thing you want is to pay for something you don't want/need or do without for something you want/need.

Now, while we have only owned the car for little over a month and haven't taken it back in for service, we'll see how they treat their customers for in reality, that is where it all counts for most. If it is not up to reasonable expectations, I will simply seek out another dealer to give my service business and will have no problem contacting Chevrolet Customer Service and have them step in to resolve any issue we may have. My opinion is the entire sales process is a pain in the a** so being firm right up front on what you want is the way to go. It will give you an idea of what you are dealing with and if you are made to feel uncomfortable or they are unwilling to work with you, there are a lot other Chevrolet dealerships around here to take your business.

I go about buying a new car in a completely different way. I take a car that i'm interested in for a test drive ONLY! I then spend the next couple of weeks/months and do some research on the "dealers invoice price" When I have that info I call ALL the dealers within a distance that I feel comfortable to travel I.E. 75/100 miles. I ask for the Sales Managers Name and Fax number. Lets just say there is 25 dealers within that distance. I Fax the Sales Manager what I want in options and maybe two color choices that I would want. I also mention that I know what the dealer invoice price is and I will buy from the dealer that will sell me a car closest to that dealer invoice price. I dont care how far I have to drive if I can save 1000's of dollars on a car. I don't play the game on their court. They play on my court. I have saved myself alot o money this way. Sorry not trying to highjack the thread just wanted to put my two cents in.
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #13
brettsimons
 
brettsimons's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Automatic Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 110
Honestly, all I can say is from my buying experience, the Chevrolet dealers in the St. Petersburg/Tampa area all suck... When I was shopping around, I knew exactly what I wanted: a summit white Camaro 2SS but I also went to look at other cars because I might decide I like something better but nothing compared to the Camaro and I knew I had to have it. So we went to Chevrolet, Lexus, Cadillac, and Mercedes dealerships and compared to the other three, our Chevrolet dealerships are $#!+... Sure the other three dealerships are more high end but I should still be able to expect a relatively good experience from Chevrolet! I just knew I had to put up with them long enough to get this amazing car and it was worth it!

While I will admit that I did meet two great sales men (one of which I bought the car from) but other than them, my main gripe about Chevrolet dealerships are that every other salesmen was aggressive and pushy which definitely does not make me want to buy a car from them!

Edit: I bought mine from Maher Chevrolet and though I like the sales person I bought it from, their service center was also pretty horrible when it came to customer service... The service centers at Cadillac and Mercedes treat me like a human being, not some nuisance who they don't care about now that they sold the car and got my money! Chevrolet dealerships should at least make an effort to be more respectful and treat their customers as well as these high end dealerships, not maintain this general "push until you sell" and "now that we have your money, we're going to care even less about you" mentality!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by brettsimons; 02-16-2013 at 02:50 AM.
brettsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
Mandydeth
 
Mandydeth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettsimons View Post
I bought mine from Maher Chevrolet and though I like the sales person I bought it from, their service center was also pretty horrible when it came to customer service... The service centers at Cadillac and Mercedes treat me like a human being, not some nuisance who they don't care about now that they sold the car and got my money! Chevrolet dealerships should at least make an effort to be more respectful and treat their customers as well as these high end dealerships, not maintain this general "push until you sell" and "now that we have your money, we're going to care even less about you" mentality!
That was probably the main concern that sent him away, regardless of how amazing the car is, it would be dreadful to deal with the service afterwards. We used to take our Impalas to Autoway Chevrolet, which unfortunately closed their doors. All the maintenance lately has been done through local mechanics.
Mandydeth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.