Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 189
high flow cats

Ok guys, im new to this, with that being said i have a couple questions. My car is completely stock aside from the muffler delete. it is an l99. i was looking at getting a cat-back exhaust and maybe some HF cats. first question, what will happen if i do go through with this? increase in power? Make it sound better?

need some help and thanks in advance. any links to other threads regarding this same question will be appreciated.
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,721
cat back make it sound better. nothing else

ohh ya highflows will add some performance increase.

go longtubes and keep your current setup
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 189
borla atak cat-back with HF cats is what im leaning towards. good or bad idea? not really looking to get headers.
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown
 
Mchlgrrsn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 1,461
No reason for high flow cats without headers. ..
__________________
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
No reason for high flow cats without headers. ..
Not true at all. If you are looking to keep your warranty (ie not tuning the car) high flow cats are a great option.

Vendors wouldn't make/sell them if they weren't popular.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
LS3 SS

 
LS3 SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clarksville TN
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Not true at all. If you are looking to keep your warranty (ie not tuning the car) high flow cats are a great option.

Vendors wouldn't make/sell them if they weren't popular.



I had high flow's before I had headers, simply because I wasn't comfortable with voiding my warranty yet. My how that seems like forever ago lol.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Not true at all. If you are looking to keep your warranty (ie not tuning the car) high flow cats are a great option.

Vendors wouldn't make/sell them if they weren't popular.
exactly, im not trying to void my warranting. im looking for better sound and some power.
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post



I had high flow's before I had headers, simply because I wasn't comfortable with voiding my warranty yet. My how that seems like forever ago lol.
what set up were you running before headers?
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
No reason for high flow cats without headers. ..
Wrong.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
exactly, im not trying to void my warranting. im looking for better sound and some power.
kooks headers to kooks green cats does not have a check engine light if thats what your worried about
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
rberns


 
rberns's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 2,796
Solo performance makes high flow cats. you can expect increase in power and more sound.
__________________
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valve Train, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters and valvetrain, LS2 Dampner, Trunion upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
The Blue Ox

 
The Blue Ox's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
borla atak cat-back with HF cats is what im leaning towards. good or bad idea? not really looking to get headers.
IMO, that wouldn't be a bad idea, going to be kinda loud with that system though! Personally, I like loud, but it's not for everyone! I Had Solo HFC's on my car before the headers, and it was louder than with the headers on! The HFC's will also give you a little performance, but your MPG might go down a little, at least it did on mine!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
JDP Tyler

 
JDP Tyler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
kooks headers to kooks green cats does not have a check engine light if thats what your worried about
This is the route I would recommend. You will not really gain anything with the catback, and headers w/green cats will free up a lot more power than just high flow cats alone. Headers will also most likely give you the sound you are looking for since you already have a muffler delete. So for around the same price as getting a catback and some HFC's, you could get some KOOKS headers w/green cats and have more power.

We also have an awesome promo going on KOOKS right now. Feel free to call, PM or email me with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 189
im just really not looking to void any kind of warranty at the moment, what about an axle back w/ HF cats, saves money right?
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
jims2SSL99
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L-99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fort Myers Florida
Posts: 895
Look into a KooKs street Sleeper 2 1/2 inch Cat-back with Hi-Flo Cats from Maryland Speed. I ordered it from Maryland speed with a set of kooks Stepped Headers, I'm just waiting for them to Come in.. Look into the 2 1/2 inch Vs the 3 Inch if your worried about drone like I was. With just the Cat-back & Hi-flows u shouldn't need a tune. Believe me after a little while you'll be ordering Long tube Headers Cause you'll want more power.. Just try to think of your long term goals for the car cause u don't want to spend more money than u have too...
jims2SSL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
JDP Tyler

 
JDP Tyler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
im just really not looking to void any kind of warranty at the moment, what about an axle back w/ HF cats, saves money right?
Headers will not void your warranty, its the tuning that the dealer frowns upon. Thats why I recommended the Green cats. They do a much better job at emissions control, do not cause a CEL and do not require a tune. They are more expensive, but for those wanting more power while keeping their warranty intact, its worth it.

Going from an muffler delete setup to an axle back would be a waste of money IMO. All you would be gaining is changing the exhaust note a little bit.

If it was me trying to get the best bang for my buck, I would get the headers w/green HFC's and replace the giant L99 resonator with a Magnaflow resonated X pipe. Just my opinion..

I am always happy to answer questions, so please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Headers will not void your warranty, its the tuning that the dealer frowns upon. Thats why I recommended the Green cats. They do a much better job at emissions control, do not cause a CEL and do not require a tune. They are more expensive, but for those wanting more power while keeping their warranty intact, its worth it.

Going from an muffler delete setup to an axle back would be a waste of money IMO. All you would be gaining is changing the exhaust note a little bit.

If it was me trying to get the best bang for my buck, I would get the headers w/green HFC's and replace the giant L99 resonator with a Magnaflow resonated X pipe. Just my opinion..

I am always happy to answer questions, so please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
with me having the muffler delete, wouldn't installing headers be crazy loud without me having some kind of exhaust on it? and if what you said about it not voiding the warranty is true, that opens some more options.
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
JDP Tyler

 
JDP Tyler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
with me having the muffler delete, wouldn't installing headers be crazy loud without me having some kind of exhaust on it? and if what you said about it not voiding the warranty is true, that opens some more options.
Yes it would be pretty loud. That is why I recommend replacing the stock resonator with a Magnaflow resonated X pipe. This will help with flow as well as toning the sound down a bit.


Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
HardrockSS
Drive Fast Take Chances
 
HardrockSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th anniversary SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: cape cod
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims2SSL99 View Post
Look into a KooKs street Sleeper 2 1/2 inch Cat-back with Hi-Flo Cats from Maryland Speed. I ordered it from Maryland speed with a set of kooks Stepped Headers, I'm just waiting for them to Come in.. Look into the 2 1/2 inch Vs the 3 Inch if your worried about drone like I was. With just the Cat-back & Hi-flows u shouldn't need a tune. Believe me after a little while you'll be ordering Long tube Headers Cause you'll want more power.. Just try to think of your long term goals for the car cause u don't want to spend more money than u have too...
So true I have solo HFC the rest stock and now I want to get headers and cat backs. Screw the warranty
__________________
2012 45th Ls3 M6 Mods:Pfadt Tri-y headers Solo Mach X 20%tint, K&N Intake, ,ambient lighting,custom bow ties,3.91 gears ,suspension upgrades.415 RWHP tuned@Slowhawk Inc.
HardrockSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended
 
Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
im just really not looking to void any kind of warranty at the moment, what about an axle back w/ HF cats, saves money right?
If you are not looking to void your warranty then an axle back and HFC's that can be changed out in 30 minutes would be your BEST bet. Long Tubes even with "GREEN CATS" will VOID your warranty. = Call your dealer

JBA Mids or SOLO and pick the Axle-back you like best.
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
BronxxBombers213

 
BronxxBombers213's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
im just really not looking to void any kind of warranty at the moment, what about an axle back w/ HF cats, saves money right?

this is what i did.. solo axle back and I have solo cats im installing this weekend. I would stay away from catback on the L99, because of the drone.. If youre not tuning out AFM, I would leave the resonator on

Im in the same boat as you.. I chose to go with doug thorley shorty headers with solo HFC's because I dont want to tune yet

when I do, I will be doing long tubes
__________________
BronxxBombers213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
rberns


 
rberns's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 2,796
Kgarner its up to you but i will be pulling my car out of storage in a couple months. i will be taking my Solo High Flow cats off and be putting long tube headers on. ive only had the hfc on for one year with 1500 miles on them. probably sell them for 350 to 400.
__________________
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valve Train, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters and valvetrain, LS2 Dampner, Trunion upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
MarylandSpeed



 
MarylandSpeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,663
So...how much would someone be willing to pay for a high flow cat does not throw codes?
__________________
www.marylandspeed.com * 443-730-9428 * Great Prices and Experienced Service!

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the Land of the GenIV Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 1,509
$300?
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Kgarner its up to you but i will be pulling my car out of storage in a couple months. i will be taking my Solo High Flow cats off and be putting long tube headers on. ive only had the hfc on for one year with 1500 miles on them. probably sell them for 350 to 400.
yeah i might be interested in that!
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.