Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
BEST SIZE PUSHROD FOR MY BUILD HELP!?

Well i bought some magnum compcams pushrods 5/16x7.350 and now reading all these review im nervous they will blow or make too much noise because they are not the right size my cam specs are 231/243 617/624 lsa 115, heads ported polished and milled to 20 thousandth, valve springs with a lift of 650
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
SSMickey
SECC

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Only suggestion I have is to get a pushrod length checker, install the cam and then figure out what length pushrod to get. Keeps the car down a bit longer, but in the end, you end up with the correct pushrod.
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
You NEED to measure for proper pushrod length. I have had the same cam installed NUMEROUS times in the "same" combination (i.e. stock LS2 heads/stock ls2 bottom end) that have required from 7.350 , 7.400, to 7.450 pushrods.

To be correct you must measure.

Also watch that 231 cam with the chopped heads on stock bottom end LS3 (Not L99) that may not have too much clearance. So you need to do piston to valve clearance to be sure.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
bud you should talk to a experienced engine builder at a machine shop you can trust. Many people who want to build a engine are not well educated enough and overcam with way to much lift or duration etc..........Is it a nitro methane top fuel dragster or a street strip car is what you need to think about when you build it not just what sounds like it has the most h.p. potential from a catalog as the supporting cast of parts for things can be huge............................And good companies will tell you what they know you should use for applications.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
You NEED to measure for proper pushrod length. I have had the same cam installed NUMEROUS times in the "same" combination (i.e. stock LS2 heads/stock ls2 bottom end) that have required from 7.350 , 7.400, to 7.450 pushrods.

To be correct you must measure.

Also watch that 231 cam with the chopped heads on stock bottom end LS3 (Not L99) that may not have too much clearance. So you need to do piston to valve clearance to be sure.
I have the l99 i should be good right?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
bud you should talk to a experienced engine builder at a machine shop you can trust. Many people who want to build a engine are not well educated enough and overcam with way to much lift or duration etc..........Is it a nitro methane top fuel dragster or a street strip car is what you need to think about when you build it not just what sounds like it has the most h.p. potential from a catalog as the supporting cast of parts for things can be huge............................And good companies will tell you what they know you should use for applications.
Yea i talked to ted a while back and recommended this specific cam for what i was trying to do he said "it will have great power throughout the rpm band, while keeping daily drivability" and i think this cam is very similar to lethal racings night fury. Hopefully all my research pays off and i wont have to buy another cam till i go f.i