Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
wocampb

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE BRM, '12 Cruze LT 6M
OnStar fails for the 3rd time - Rant

So my OnStar system has failed for the third time since May and the dealer is telling me it is always the backup battery. Supposedly they called GM for tech support and OnStar for tech support. I tried to open a case with GM but they refuse to do it because they don't want to own up to the problem. A backup battery should not die every couple of months on a car. I guess it is time to file a lemon law claim over something so trivial because they won't bother to look into the issue.
wocampb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by wocampb View Post
So my OnStar system has failed for the third time since May and the dealer is telling me it is always the backup battery. Supposedly they called GM for tech support and OnStar for tech support. I tried to open a case with GM but they refuse to do it because they don't want to own up to the problem. A backup battery should not die every couple of months on a car. I guess it is time to file a lemon law claim over something so trivial because they won't bother to look into the issue.
I don't think it would qualify for lemon law because it does not take the car out of service. Just as if your radio were to keep tearing up. Not covered under lemon laws.
Under Arizona law on something that does not remove the car from service and it is covered under warranty the manufacturer is only required to repair that item under warranty as long as it takes to do it. But the problem has to happen in 2 years or 24,000 miles.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
wocampb

I don't think it would either but the dealer told me to do that because they know there is an issue but GM won't tell them to do anything but fix the battery and they won't authorize warranty repair on anything else for it but the battery. They know there is serious issue with the system but their hands are tied by GM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
I don't think it would either but the dealer told me to do that because they know there is an issue but GM won't tell them to do anything but fix the battery and they won't authorize warranty repair on anything else for it but the battery. They know there is serious issue with the system but their hands are tied by GM.
Also the problem has to have happened 4 times before the lemon law can be applied. Since you have only had it happen 3 times it still does not qualify.
There may be exceptions...
http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/AZ_law.html

Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
wocampb

Yeah, I thought it was 4 times as well, haven't researched it much but I know in three months it will be back in again for this issue so it is unfortunately only a matter of time. This is the only time the car has ever been at the dealer for any sort of issue too.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I don't think it would qualify for lemon law because it does not take the car out of service. Just as if your radio were to keep tearing up. Not covered under lemon laws.
Under Arizona law on something that does not remove the car from service and it is covered under warranty the manufacturer is only required to repair that item under warranty as long as it takes to do it. But the problem has to happen in 2 years or 24,000 miles.

Lemon Laws are State Specific, In CA it surely would be covered, the general law here simply law requires that if the manufacturer or its representative in this state, such as an authorized dealer, is unable to service or repair a new motor vehicle to meet the terms of an express written warranty after a reasonable number of repair attempts, the manufacturer is required promptly to replace the vehicle or return the purchase price to the lessee or buyer. The purchase price that must be returned includes the price paid for manufacturer-installed items and transportation but does not include the price paid for nonmanufacturer items installed by the dealer. The lessee or buyer is completely free to choose whether to accept a replacement or a refund. Whatever the choice, the manufacturer is also responsible to pay for sales or use tax; license, registration, and other official fees; and incidental damages that the lessee or buyer may have incurred such as finance charges, repair, towing, and rental car costs.

---

and OP I had a similar issue with my 2010 Avalanche..

what you need to do is call OnStar (you can use a land line, but better from the car if possible) and then have them bump you to a Level 2 or Level 3 Tech support for the issue, that Tech can then open a case with OnStar and your Dealer, which will in turn open the case with GM.

I took a bit of doing, but after the 3rd failure in about 6 weeks of my OnStar they replaced the whole thing, Antenna, Module, Mirror, Radio several other related parts.

I was compensated with 2 years free OnStar Directions and Connections and 2 Years Free XM, plus the rental car override (normally only allowed 7 days) as they had my truck for over 3 weeks,

I realize it isn't a great compensation for the down time, but I did not have any further issues for the following 2 years then I traded the truck in for the Camaro
Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Was referring to Arizona law since I saw he was from Arizona.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
jpwickl

Drives: 2013 2LT Convertible
Hey, Wocampb

How did the system notify you that the Onstar system had failed?? I ask, b/c I get the image below in my mirror every so often. The dealership said that it was the Onstar losing signal. I contacted Onstar, and they said that it was indicating trouble. But, sometimes not all the entities mesh well.

I bit my tongue when the service tech said that it was signifying that I had lost Onstar signal as it never happens in the same place on the road, and never for the same amount of time. It used to come only for a couple of seconds before going out, but now it stays on for about twenty seconds. It never has stayed on permanently.

(the pic below is from Nyrfan, and it is not because of the radar detector.
Attached Images

jpwickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwickl View Post
How did the system notify you that the Onstar system had failed?? I ask, b/c I get the image below in my mirror every so often. The dealership said that it was the Onstar losing signal. I contacted Onstar, and they said that it was indicating trouble. But, sometimes not all the entities mesh well.

I bit my tongue when the service tech said that it was signifying that I had lost Onstar signal as it never happens in the same place on the road, and never for the same amount of time. It used to come only for a couple of seconds before going out, but now it stays on for about twenty seconds. It never has stayed on permanently.

(the pic below is from Nyrfan, and it is not because of the radar detector.

radar detectors as well as dash cameras with GPS capability are both known to interfere with OEM GPS systems and the OnStar GPS system (the signal loss you describe).

My dash cam caused the signal drop issue in my Avalanche (both OnStar and the OEM GPS system) and in my Camaro when placed in certain areas around the mirror.

Though FWIW even without the Dash Camera, the OnStar in my Camaro sucks, It consistently loses signal and I have found that the Directions and Connections plan is worthless, my phone GPS has no issue, but the OnStar system constantly drops out and then has to "reroute" me or I have re-enter the destination because it can't locate me.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Mine has dropped the signal then can't relocate the car. I opened a case and the tech did something. I went back to the area where I have had the most trouble and it did not fail.

I am at the point where if it fails again, I will cancel and get a Real nav system with a DD touch screen.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushings,Forgestar F14's 20x9/11,Nitto Motivos, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
OnStar Advisor

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
wocampb,

I am sorry to hear this is still happening. I would like to reach out to your dealership for more details, and see if there is anything I can do to further assist in getting a resolution. Can you please PM me with the dealer information? And any additional details about your experiences. Thank you.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
OnStar Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
LBV

Drives: G8 GXP manual
Don't overlook the antenna. When I had Onstar just wiggling the antenna would reset the connection so the little light would go back to green from red. On mine the antenna is kinda squarish shaped and not typical antenna-looking but is on the actual Onstar module in the trunk.

Zeta platform, LS3,TR6060 tranny ... ya, it's a 4-dr Camaro!

Borla cat-back, H&R springs, & Sprintbooster & I love it!
LBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You know I have wondered about my antenna also. I have the shark fin, and to get to it is a pain in the butt.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushings,Forgestar F14's 20x9/11,Nitto Motivos, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote