Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
lalo_ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
GMPP exhaust with solo high flow cats

does anybody have this setup ? or with different hfc ? my car came with the gmpp exhaust but im not satisfied with it. i want something louder and meaner. should i just buy a new exhaust system or the hfc?
videos of this setup would be appreciated thanks !
Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
HFC will give you a deeper sound plus added power. Go this route if you don't plan on tuning your car. If you plan on getting a tune get some long tube headers.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valve Train, Cam Motion custom grind, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, LS2 Dampner, Trunion upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 - Black
Too add to your post, what about the GMPP axle back and long tube headers w/high flow cats. Definite performance enhancement, but how does it sound with all 3 in comparison to just the GMPP alone? (I have the GMPP as well)
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
rberns

To be honest, I wouldn't waste your money with anything GM has to offer for exhaust systems. First ask yourself if you want to tune? Yes, then get yourself some LTH first and install them to stock exhaust and see if thats what you want for sound if not then adjust from there ie axleback, catback, muffle delete, xpipe. If you don't want to tune but want some added power, then get yourself some HFC as the stock cats are the most restrictive part of our exhaust system. Adding HFC to a stock exhaust system makes the car sound pretty decent with some added power and retains warranty.

As I said, I wouldn't waste my money with any GM exhaust system. Even if they lable it as a performance enhancement.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valve Train, Cam Motion custom grind, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, LS2 Dampner, Trunion upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
rberns

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=177

this is an axle back. It appears they filmed this inside the garage which can make it sound louder than what it really is. Even though it may sound better than stock, you may want to look around some more as they is way better exhaust systems than this. Add HFC to this will make it a bit louder.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
lalo_ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=177

this is an axle back. It appears they filmed this inside the garage which can make it sound louder than what it really is. Even though it may sound better than stock, you may want to look around some more as they is way better exhaust systems than this. Add HFC to this will make it a bit louder.
my car already came with that exhaust when i bought it. so i was thinking of adding hfc to give it a better sound. and i am trying to keep my warranty.or another option was just getting rid of it and buying a new system
Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
You are on the right track. To echo what others are saying, if you plan to tune, get LT headers first. I am at the same point right now and I am going to buy the Solo HF cats. Keeping my warranty is more important for me. I have been studying posts for months on this subject and, for me, the HF cats with the stock exhaust are a good balance of a slight HP increase and more aggressive sound. Good luck!
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Kerr

Drives: 67 vette
We have that exhaust as well and the wifes denali is louder and stock... Id kinda like my $900 bucks back or what ever the cost of it was lol.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 - Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
We have that exhaust as well and the wifes denali is louder and stock... Id kinda like my $900 bucks back or what ever the cost of it was lol.
That must be the regular axle back GMPP. when I bought mine it already had the GMPP Track pack and its pretty loud but not overkill. It sounds reeally good. Now if I was buying my own exhaust of course I would have purchased a different aftermarket brand just because i could. I was thinking about adding high flow cats to the existing set up.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
heymatt

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
Lightbulb

RJT-SS, like this?
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1AYi7...e_gdata_player
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Sounds great. That is basically what I was talking about except for the shorties. I have an L99 and I am just going with the Solo HF cats to start and maybe the Solo axle-back with J-pipes later if I want more sound. For me, I am not sure if the shorties are worth it. I am sure the shorties improve flow somewhat and they obviously improve sound but not sure if it is worth it (again, just my opinion). By the way, yours does sound different (more raspy) from the L99s I have heard with just the HF cats. For the other L99s out there, I spoke to Solo and my dealership and both confirmed that there are different engine harmonics (not related to the AFM but the transmission) with the L99 that requires the flex-pipe in the exhaust system or else there could be vibration issues. I learned this because I was leaning toward LTs at the time. Not doing that now. For everyone that leans more towards performance, I completely understand and admire the mods that include LTs, a tune, no cats, etc. It's just not what I want to do with my car.
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Kerr

Drives: 67 vette
Not sure what it was to be honest, it just the two mufflers they changed because the factory ones where in the trunk.. its quite thats for sure.. I havent heard a stock one but going by how mine sound a stock camaro but have no sound.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote