Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
onebad1le

Drives: 2013 1le
obx headers leak

Well installed my headers and the drivers side leaks.
so far I have email OBX to see if they can be warranty
suck, I have changed to gaskets several times ,even different types
Old 02-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
whitedemon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Where is the leak coming from? You should see black soot around the area
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, OBX Longtube Headers, Magnaflow 3in Comp Cat Back w/ added Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers, SCT Tuner w/ JRE Tune, CAI Black Intake w/ JRE Race Scoop, Eibach Pro Springs, Custom Sequential Tailights
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
factory gaskets , they work best , i had same problem and put my old factory gaskets on and fixed.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
whitedemon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Agreed, defiantly use factory gaskets. Also if these are the first headers you have ever owned you will have to get use to the "header" noise. Headers make a hissing exhaust leak sound, that's normal
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, OBX Longtube Headers, Magnaflow 3in Comp Cat Back w/ added Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers, SCT Tuner w/ JRE Tune, CAI Black Intake w/ JRE Race Scoop, Eibach Pro Springs, Custom Sequential Tailights
Old 02-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
are they warped? if the factory gaskets dont work then there is something wrong with the headers.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad1le View Post
Thanks

Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Thanks +2
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Bo White
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
I ask too if its your first set of headers on a car? If so you may be hearing header ping. Its really pronounced with a good camshaft.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Before you panic, take your headers off, make sure your OEM gasket is good, and then when you go to bolt it back down, go from the inside out first. If it still leaks, contact OBX to see what can be done.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Muscle SS
All blackkk

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Pics?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
SPCBA
Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
I ask too if its your first set of headers on a car? If so you may be hearing header ping. Its really pronounced with a good camshaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Before you panic, take your headers off, make sure your OEM gasket is good, and then when you go to bolt it back down, go from the inside out first. If it still leaks, contact OBX to see what can be done.
mr white and ls3 ss give sound advice and ask the right questions...only question i would ask is if you installed yourself? otherwise you need to contact your header dealer/manufacturer and get it resolved.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
BlaqWhole

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
How about some details and a little follow up? More than likely the header isn't leaking. Like was mentioned before, it's probably just that you aren't familiar with the sound headers make. It took me a good few minutes to get used to it. If it's coming from the engine and you used the gaskets that came with them...then the problem is the supplied gaskets. take them off and re-use you stock gaskets. That will solve your problem. If you did use the stock gaskets and you THINK there is a leak, then see if the CEL comes on or scan the ECU for a code.

Other things to check...make sure you seated the headers properly and bolted them properly...maybe they aren't tight enough. Use a torque wrench. Do not use those springs that come with the bolts for the extensions/cats. If you still aren't sure then start the engine and try to feel around the piped for a leak...DO NOT TOUCH the pipes tho, just put your hand close and feel for air in pulses. Good luck.

Esmeralda (03 GT) - UDP, CAI, PP intake manifold/upper plenum/75mm TB, 4.10s, fully rebuilt/upgraded trans w/ Transpak, 2400 stall converter, full O/R exhaust, 04 Cobra tank/dual 255 LPH pumps, Sniper Tune!!

Saving the world...1 hp at a time!!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
onebad1le

Drives: 2013 1le
leak

had the stock gasket on it and it leaked on driver side only . I could see the (black markings)
its not just sound-- when i tried to tune it the O2 sensor were off.
replaced with after market gasket and leaks worse...
im pretty sure its warped --just gonna throw them away
and just buy some new 2 inch headers form texas speed.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
BlaqWhole

Quote:
had the stock gasket on it and it leaked on driver side only . I could see the (black markings)
Tell you what, don't throw them away. Send them to me along with the receipt. I'll pay the shipping. Consider this dibbs!!

Esmeralda (03 GT) - UDP, CAI, PP intake manifold/upper plenum/75mm TB, 4.10s, fully rebuilt/upgraded trans w/ Transpak, 2400 stall converter, full O/R exhaust, 04 Cobra tank/dual 255 LPH pumps, Sniper Tune!!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
BlaqWhole

Matter of fact, screw the receipt...just send me the headers. I'll even pay for the boxing and packaging materials. You take paypal? Get me a quote and I'll paypal the money immediately.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
BlaqWhole

If you show me a pic of them and where you think they are warped, then hell I'll even throw you some cash for them. Let's work this out...I'll PM you...

Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
SPCBA
Blake

Quote:
you get what you pay for. dont pay for chinese materials and chinese craftsmenship...if you can even call it that
Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
BlaqWhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
you get what you pay for. dont pay for chinese materials and chinese craftsmenship...if you can even call it that
Dude, nobody cares about your same old statements. "You get what you pay for", "...Chinese material", "...Chinese Craftsmanship", blah blah blah blah. Nobody cares. Except the others who think like you. You're beating a dead horse. Over and over again, you or someone else constantly shows up talking the same crap. And then it leads to a 7 page argument. Aren't you tired of this nonsense already? You like Kooks or whatever, then fine bro. We get it. Go for yours, do you, good for you. But there is no need to keep constantly hijacking threads just to talk trash and start an argument. It's not gonna get you or anyone else anywhere. Sheesh...

Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
I don't necessarily think it's just that. The real problem I see is customer support. TSP and i think JBA's are built overseas but the difference is, if there's a problem, you can make one call and get them taken care of. It seems people are having a problem getting someone to take responsibility for the few defective sets of OBX's.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
aka: Chop Suey

Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
as said above use oem gaskets , and start in the mid of header and work ur way out on tighiting the bolts. they should pretty much fall in place if not there is something not lined up. but there is alway a chance of a warped mounting plate or whatever u call it. but torque them down and make sure ur gasket is lined up aswell as they can move around a lil bit and thats all it takes to cause a leak.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
SPCBA
Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Dude, nobody cares about your same old statements. "You get what you pay for", "...Chinese material", "...Chinese Craftsmanship", blah blah blah blah. Nobody cares. Except the others who think like you. You're beating a dead horse. Over and over again, you or someone else constantly shows up talking the same crap. And then it leads to a 7 page argument. Aren't you tired of this nonsense already? You like Kooks or whatever, then fine bro. We get it. Go for yours, do you, good for you. But there is no need to keep constantly hijacking threads just to talk trash and start an argument. It's not gonna get you or anyone else anywhere. Sheesh...
need a tissue? your the one who told the guy to check for exhaust leaks with his bare hand
Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
BlaqWhole

Quote:
need a tissue? your the one who told the guy to check for exhaust leaks with his bare hand
Hmm, have you ever worked in a shop? You're the one with nothing better to do than make the same comments over and over...and over and over again.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #24
SPCBA
Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Hmm, have you ever worked in a shop? You're the one with nothing better to do than make the same comments over and over...and over and over again.
i have worked in a few...fabrication, mechanical and body. heck i worked at a well known fabrication shop that makes great headers. do you even work in a shop?

even if i make the same comments over and over again that would just put me in the group with you
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #25
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
The Stainless Power (Stainless Works) headers I ordered are made overseas also. Havent got them in yet. I wonder how they compare.

Closed Thread