Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Michael2000
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 246
Anyone Track their 1LE Yet?

I was just wondering if anyone has tracked their 1LE yet. If so,

1) How did it hold up, including the tires? Any problems?

2) How did it perform against some of the other cars out there, especially the Corvettes?

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,875
I will be doing Laguna Seca March 1st,so will have plenty to share after )))))))
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Michael2000
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I will be doing Laguna Seca March 1st,so will have plenty to share after )))))))
That would be a fun track. Who's putting that on?

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,875
Yeah this will be a highlight in my life i am so excited
http://www.hookedondriving.com/
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 3,268
The brakes will be a weak link if you want to hang with corvettes consistently. They'll have a slight advantage exiting turns due to power/weight.

Although at a track day event it has the most to do with the drivers skills. Then tires then suspension then brakes. It has the suspension and decent tires. Slicks and better brakes and you will be able to beat most vehicles despite being a chubby girl.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Lumino1LE
Rally Yellow 2SS/RS/SR
 
Lumino1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: Born 11/12 2012 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 257
Summit Point, March 9 - 10 w/SCCA. Swapping out brake fluid and adding oil catch can, otherwise bone stock.
Lumino1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team
 
So Cal Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 3,199
Run to the Coast next weekend for 2 days of Road Course, Autocross and Speed Stop, and my brakes won't be the weak link on mine....
Attached Images
  
__________________
So Cal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumino1LE View Post
Summit Point, March 9 - 10 w/SCCA. Swapping out brake fluid and adding oil catch can, otherwise bone stock.
Wish I could make it. Will be missing the whole season due to a deployment but will be back for it next spring.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Navydane
 
Navydane's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 VR 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 27
Good luck on your deployment!

I'm 2 weeks from home and a couple weeks later my 1LE should show up. Oooh eee. Excited.
Navydane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #10
CrystalRedTintcoat

 
CrystalRedTintcoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, online, & in my 1LE
Posts: 1,925
From the owner's manual;

Racing or Other Competitive Driving

Racing or competitive driving may
affect the vehicle warranty. See the warranty book before using the vehicle for racing or other competitive driving.

Notice: If you use the vehicle for
racing or other competitive driving, the engine may use more oil than it would with normal use.
Low oil levels can damage the engine. For information on how to add oil, see Engine Oil on
page 10‐13.

Be sure to check the oil level often during racing or other competitive driving and keep the
level at or near the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine oil dipstick.

For racing or competitive driving, it is recommended that the brake fluid be replaced with a high performance brake fluid that has a dry boiling point greater than 279°C (534°F).

After conversion to the high performance brake fluid, follow the brake fluid service recommendations outlined by the fluid manufacturer. Do not use silicone or DOT-5 brake fluids.

ZL1 and 1LE: For racing and competitive driving, the vehicle load should be limited to the driver only and no cargo. The tires should be inflated to at least 180 kPa (26 psi).

If the vehicle is used for racing or other competitive driving, the rear axle fluid temperatures may be higher than would occur in normal driving. GM recommends that the rear axle fluid be drained and refilled with new fluid after every 24 hours of racing or competitive
driving. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on page 11‐12.

For extended track use, GM recommends installing a rear differential cooler to protect the rear axle. This excludes the ZL1 as it has a rear differential cooler as
standard equipment.

For track use only, it is recommended that the oil control kit be installed to prevent excessive oil
consumption. This kit is available through your dealer.
Notice: Extended track operation without this kit installed may result in a low oil level and could result in engine damage.

To prepare the Camaro ZL1 or SS brake system for track events and racing, the high performance brake burnish described below should be completed.

Brake Burnishing

New brake pads must be burnished
before racing or other competitive driving.

Notice: These procedures are specific to the ZL1 or Camaro SS brake package. This procedure should not be run on other Camaro models as damage may
result.

Notice: The new vehicle break‐in period should be completed before performing the brake burnish procedure or damage may occur to the powertrain/ engine. See New Vehicle Break-In on page 9‐16.

When performed as instructed, these procedures will not damage the brakes. During the burnishing
procedure, the brake pads will smoke and produce an odor. The braking force and pedal travel may increase. After the procedure is complete, the brake pads may appear white at the rotor contact.

Run this procedure in a safe manner and in compliance with all local and state ordinances/laws regarding motor vehicle operation. Run this procedure only on dry pavement.

Racing/Track Brake Burnish Procedure

Notice: Brake pedal fade will occur during this track burnish procedure and can cause brake pedal travel and force to increase. This could extend stopping distance until the brakes are fully burnished.

1. Apply the brakes 25 times starting 100 km/h (60 mph) to 50 km/h (30 mph) while decelerating at 0.4 g. This is a medium brake application. Drive for at least 1 km (0.6 mi) between applying the brakes. This first step may be skipped if there are more than 320 km (200 miles) on the brake pads.

2. Repeatedly apply the brakes from 100 km/h (60 mph) to 25 km/h (15 mph) while decelerating at 0.8 g. This is a hard brake application, without activating the Antilock Brake System. Drive for at least 1 km (0.6 mi) between stops. Repeat until brake pedal travel starts to increase. Depending on conditions this should take no longer than 25 brake applications.

3. Cool down: Drive at 100 km/h (60 mph) for approximately 15 km (10 mi) without using brakes.

4. Apply the brakes 25 times from 100 km/h (60 mph) to 50 km/h (30 mph) while decelerating at 0.4 g. This is a medium brake application. Drive for at least
1 km (0.6 mi) between applications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
Lumino1LE
Rally Yellow 2SS/RS/SR
 
Lumino1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: Born 11/12 2012 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Wish I could make it. Will be missing the whole season due to a deployment but will be back for it next spring.
We'll see you then. Stay safe.
Lumino1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 3,268
Definitely, I want to run against some 1LE's with my current mods. I want to see how much of a disadvantage the old sways are. Although it won't be an apples to apples comparison due to my other mods. If things go as planned I'll have wider tires and lighter wheels all around upon my return. Plus the double adjustables, bushings and bigger brakes. I think the wider tires and coilovers will make up for the sways but money talks and bull!@#$ walks. That and I'm trying to talk myself out of spending 850 for the pedders conversion package.

I'll start doing cooling system upgrades (radiator and oil) and maybe a cam when I get back too. The goal is to do more summit point but also VIR and maybe Watkins Glen if they have an open weekend next summer.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Run to the Coast next weekend for 2 days of Road Course, Autocross and Speed Stop, and my brakes won't be the weak link on mine....
Sweet!! Are you going to add any ventilation? Are those the stock rotors?
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 3,268
Those are the CTS-V calipers and ZL-1 rotor.
A lovely choice...
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,875
sweet,nice set up.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 3,268
Thanks. The stopping power is unreal with track pads. I measured it out and there is 57% more pad area. ABS is real easy to find until I get my new tire setup.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,028
How much for the front brake upgrade?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 3,268
Depends if you piece it together yourself or buy a kit. JDP sells a kit for 1900-2100 give or take.
I pieced it together:
440 for calipers
200 for track pads
160 for lines
580 for ZL1 rotors
25 for hardware kit
So 1400 plus whatever you want to do for color. The dual cast rotors would be a couple hundred cheaper. Just gotta be resourceful when it comes to part numbers and not care what color caliper you get as a starting point.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Depends if you piece it together yourself or buy a kit. JDP sells a kit for 1900-2100 give or take.
I pieced it together:
440 for calipers
200 for track pads
160 for lines
580 for ZL1 rotors
25 for hardware kit
So 1400 plus whatever you want to do for color. The dual cast rotors would be a couple hundred cheaper. Just gotta be resourceful when it comes to part numbers and not care what color caliper you get as a starting point.
Thanks!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team
 
So Cal Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Depends if you piece it together yourself or buy a kit. JDP sells a kit for 1900-2100 give or take.
I pieced it together:
440 for calipers
200 for track pads
160 for lines
580 for ZL1 rotors
25 for hardware kit
So 1400 plus whatever you want to do for color. The dual cast rotors would be a couple hundred cheaper. Just gotta be resourceful when it comes to part numbers and not care what color caliper you get as a starting point.
Don't forget the pin kit for the calipers, plus brake fluid...and while your doing it, install a clutch reservoir at the same time...I bought the JDP kit, powdercoated red to match, ready to install....
Attached Images
  
__________________
So Cal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 3,268
Thats the 25 for hardware kit. 2-3 bottles of Motul depending on if its the first or second flush with good fluid.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #22
Michael2000
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
From the owner's manual;

Racing or Other Competitive Driving

Racing or competitive driving may
affect the vehicle warranty. See the warranty book before using the vehicle for racing or other competitive driving.

Notice: If you use the vehicle for
racing or other competitive driving, the engine may use more oil than it would with normal use.
Low oil levels can damage the engine. For information on how to add oil, see Engine Oil on
page 10‐13.

Be sure to check the oil level often during racing or other competitive driving and keep the
level at or near the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine oil dipstick.

For racing or competitive driving, it is recommended that the brake fluid be replaced with a high performance brake fluid that has a dry boiling point greater than 279°C (534°F).

After conversion to the high performance brake fluid, follow the brake fluid service recommendations outlined by the fluid manufacturer. Do not use silicone or DOT-5 brake fluids.

ZL1 and 1LE: For racing and competitive driving, the vehicle load should be limited to the driver only and no cargo. The tires should be inflated to at least 180 kPa (26 psi).

If the vehicle is used for racing or other competitive driving, the rear axle fluid temperatures may be higher than would occur in normal driving. GM recommends that the rear axle fluid be drained and refilled with new fluid after every 24 hours of racing or competitive
driving. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on page 11‐12.

For extended track use, GM recommends installing a rear differential cooler to protect the rear axle. This excludes the ZL1 as it has a rear differential cooler as
standard equipment.

For track use only, it is recommended that the oil control kit be installed to prevent excessive oil
consumption. This kit is available through your dealer.
Notice: Extended track operation without this kit installed may result in a low oil level and could result in engine damage.

To prepare the Camaro ZL1 or SS brake system for track events and racing, the high performance brake burnish described below should be completed.

Brake Burnishing

New brake pads must be burnished
before racing or other competitive driving.

Notice: These procedures are specific to the ZL1 or Camaro SS brake package. This procedure should not be run on other Camaro models as damage may
result.

Notice: The new vehicle break‐in period should be completed before performing the brake burnish procedure or damage may occur to the powertrain/ engine. See New Vehicle Break-In on page 9‐16.

When performed as instructed, these procedures will not damage the brakes. During the burnishing
procedure, the brake pads will smoke and produce an odor. The braking force and pedal travel may increase. After the procedure is complete, the brake pads may appear white at the rotor contact.

Run this procedure in a safe manner and in compliance with all local and state ordinances/laws regarding motor vehicle operation. Run this procedure only on dry pavement.

Racing/Track Brake Burnish Procedure

Notice: Brake pedal fade will occur during this track burnish procedure and can cause brake pedal travel and force to increase. This could extend stopping distance until the brakes are fully burnished.

1. Apply the brakes 25 times starting 100 km/h (60 mph) to 50 km/h (30 mph) while decelerating at 0.4 g. This is a medium brake application. Drive for at least 1 km (0.6 mi) between applying the brakes. This first step may be skipped if there are more than 320 km (200 miles) on the brake pads.

2. Repeatedly apply the brakes from 100 km/h (60 mph) to 25 km/h (15 mph) while decelerating at 0.8 g. This is a hard brake application, without activating the Antilock Brake System. Drive for at least 1 km (0.6 mi) between stops. Repeat until brake pedal travel starts to increase. Depending on conditions this should take no longer than 25 brake applications.

3. Cool down: Drive at 100 km/h (60 mph) for approximately 15 km (10 mi) without using brakes.

4. Apply the brakes 25 times from 100 km/h (60 mph) to 50 km/h (30 mph) while decelerating at 0.4 g. This is a medium brake application. Drive for at least
1 km (0.6 mi) between applications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Good information here! Big thanks to CrystalRedTintcoat for posting all this.

Does the warranty say anything about racing or competition use?

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #23
Lio Martinez
SoCal HT5!!!!
 
Lio Martinez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxnard. CA
Posts: 1,491
So even if we buy a big brake kit 6 piston from like baer, brembo, wilwood etc the clutch reservoir needs to be replaced ?
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
So even if we buy a big brake kit 6 piston from like baer, brembo, wilwood etc the clutch reservoir needs to be replaced ?
Should be done on all the LS3s. Cheap insurance.

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #25
bannonm

 
bannonm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
So even if we buy a big brake kit 6 piston from like baer, brembo, wilwood etc the clutch reservoir needs to be replaced ?
I did because of switching to Motul for the brakes. At a minimum you need to flush your brakes once a year with racing brake fluid. The clutch is such a bitch to bleed unless you put a remote bleeder in. And that requires you dropping the trans to install it. I still run DOT3 in the clutch and have never experienced a soft clutch, even on back to back 95 degree race days. I just suck out the reservoir and refill and pump the clutch a few times to refresh it. Eventually I'll install the Tick bleeder line I bought, just not up to dropping the trans at the moment.
__________________
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.