Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #43
grocerygetter
instigator
 
grocerygetter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 72034
Posts: 3,966
Acutally, I would love to have a WRX for a daily if I could make it work. STI is a little too much beat you to death/weekend race car IMO.
__________________
-John S.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (672/639 at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #44
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07, AudiQ53.0T
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Camano Island, WA
Posts: 9,130
OK, never expected this to become a front page link...
__________________
'16 Corvette Z06/Z07, '13 Audi Q5 S-Line 3.0T
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Steve Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #45
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: a 2010 SS GMPPZL1LE/28
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the birth land of the Gen4 Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
You guys are not very educated on subarus. An sti is an animal. Rally car bred and freaking stout when it comes to durability. $34k gets u one. Stock vs an ss...out handles circles around an ss. Straight line...nod to the ss though. You throw 1200 at the Subie though...things get interesting.
I had a 2006 sti, I know.
I don't agree with you and neither does most track reviews. I f you need I can point you to track times real quick...
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 02-22-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #46
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,300
STi's are cool cars. I owned an 04 STI and it handled great in the twisties.

With only 305hp, a stock STi would never stand a chance against most cars (1LE, ZL1, etc) on a track such as the Nurburgring.

Today, I read an article about how the Subaru is going back to the 2.0 Turbo (vs. 2.5 turbo currently used).
The WRX should have close to 300 hp in the near future. Not sure what kind of HP the STi will end up with.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #47
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamere94z28 View Post
I was impressed by the Subaru as well! with that much HP difference the Subaru didn't do bad at all...
Does anybody actually know what the HP of that prototype car was?
__________________
2017 zl1 or GT350 hmmmm
2015 Hellcat-sold
2013 ZL1 -sold
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #48
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
OK, never expected this to become a front page link...
Slow C7 news week.

tramtwo posted this on the go
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #49
Jeff65SS
 
Jeff65SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
Does anybody actually know what the HP of that prototype car was?
Subaru said that it was making 320hp.

Last edited by Jeff65SS; 02-22-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: reword
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #50
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: a 2010 SS GMPPZL1LE/28
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the birth land of the Gen4 Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 2,158
QUOTED FROM ''http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ing-lap-record''

The stickler is that the Subaru in question wasn’t a production car. It was, in the words of the company, a 2011 Impreza WRX STI prototype. The car is basically the bastard child of two JDM-only models with some extra bespoke aero bits thrown in for slipperiness and high-speed stability.

The car starts with the suspension from the improved-for-2011 WRX STI—it’s 5 mm lower than the 2010 model, with 1-mm-thicker front and rear anti-roll bars, higher-rate springs all around, stiffer rear-subframe bushings, and new front-suspension pillow-ball bushings. The engine is the Japanese-market STI spec.c’s, a 2.0-liter turbocharged boxer-four that’s been given the larger turbo from the R205, another Japanese special-edition STI model. It’s now putting out a claimed 320 hp.

The R205 also donates six-piston front brakes and a front strut-tower brace; it features a flexible center portion that allows vertical motion but maintains lateral stiffness. Weight is saved through the use of an aluminum hood from the spec.c, unique aluminum front fenders, the spec.c’s smaller battery, and the deletion of the radio as in the R205 and spec.c.

Extra aero parts specific to this car include a full undertray, a front-lip extension tacked onto the R205’s lower spoiler, and a Gurney flap added—taped, really—to the rear at Mäkinen’s request. (The car was getting a bit out of shape without it in the high-speed sections.) A full roll cage and race buckets fitted with a five-point harness for the driver and a four-point for the passenger make things safe.
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #51
b20
 
Drives: 2013 1LE RS 1SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: barberton ohio
Posts: 297
would like to see a 1le time
b20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #52
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,891
Man would that be cool to know the track like that and be able to run those cornerspeeds(sorry had to especially that last 170 mph section.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #53
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
QUOTED FROM ''http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ing-lap-record''

The stickler is that the Subaru in question wasn’t a production car. It was, in the words of the company, a 2011 Impreza WRX STI prototype. The car is basically the bastard child of two JDM-only models with some extra bespoke aero bits thrown in for slipperiness and high-speed stability.

The car starts with the suspension from the improved-for-2011 WRX STI—it’s 5 mm lower than the 2010 model, with 1-mm-thicker front and rear anti-roll bars, higher-rate springs all around, stiffer rear-subframe bushings, and new front-suspension pillow-ball bushings. The engine is the Japanese-market STI spec.c’s, a 2.0-liter turbocharged boxer-four that’s been given the larger turbo from the R205, another Japanese special-edition STI model. It’s now putting out a claimed 320 hp.

The R205 also donates six-piston front brakes and a front strut-tower brace; it features a flexible center portion that allows vertical motion but maintains lateral stiffness. Weight is saved through the use of an aluminum hood from the spec.c, unique aluminum front fenders, the spec.c’s smaller battery, and the deletion of the radio as in the R205 and spec.c.

Extra aero parts specific to this car include a full undertray, a front-lip extension tacked onto the R205’s lower spoiler, and a Gurney flap added—taped, really—to the rear at Mäkinen’s request. (The car was getting a bit out of shape without it in the high-speed sections.) A full roll cage and race buckets fitted with a five-point harness for the driver and a four-point for the passenger make things safe.
So it was a racecar. This just proves that GM did wonders with the ZL1.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #54
ernie scar
 
ernie scar's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: thunder bay
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCamaroKid View Post
I wouldn't say these two are directly comparable... not stock anyway's, the STI is a great car. I am not sure where the guy above me got 51k but in America a WRX STI cost like 34k before any options. Great price, great car.

I do seem to noticed a difference between drivers I think somebody touched on that subject though

That’s the problem with living in Canada; we get screwed on the price of vehicles.

If you go to the GM Canada web site and build a ZL1, the price without the taxes or options is over $60K, and because I live in Ontario you have to add on 13% sales tax to the cost of the vehicle. 13% of 60K is $7800.00.

Go to the GM Canada web site and build your ZL1 with the options you have on it. The price that comes out does not have the taxes added to it. Also they throw in a bunch of fees on top of that price, which are about $600.00.

Also since I am Canadian I cannot purchase a vehicle from the U.S. that is new. Only used vehicles are allowed for purchase, which means I would have to buy a ZL1 with someone else mileage on the car instead of my own.

This is not meant to start an argument; this is the reality of vehicle prices and rules in Canada.

Here is the real kicker of it all.
I live in the same province as these vehicles are produced.
There is only one Chevy dealership in the city I live in with a population of over a 100,000 people.
GM will only give the local dealership one allocation at a time, in order to get another one they have to actually have the papers signed saying the owner has bought the car.
And last but not least when you put your order in you are looking at anywhere from 6 months to a year to get the car.
ernie scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #55
grocerygetter
instigator
 
grocerygetter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 72034
Posts: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
I don't agree with you and neither does most track reviews. I f you need I can point you to track times real quick...
Go ahead. Show me that the SS isn't quicker in the quarter and that the STI doesn't handle better. Stock vs stock. I've owned both...have you?
__________________
-John S.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (672/639 at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #56
cosmoZL1
 
cosmoZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic, 6 spd
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Wild Wild West!!
Posts: 306
ZL1. Best American car built in 60 years. Period. Since when does a Subaru even compare to a ZL1? Any Camaro for that matter? Uh, let's see, how many ZL1 owners even thought of buying any Subaru? ZIP. Why it's here is the exact reason this site has lost so much credibility. Most people I ask anymore say they don't bother. Example why? Hmmm
__________________
All my life I've been an Adrenalin Junkie.To some thats a bad thing.But? My bucket list is very short, very short indeed
cosmoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.