Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
05SilverStreak
 
05SilverStreak's Avatar
 
Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 287
Thumbs down New Rattle in Dash!

Im gonna rant. 30,000 on the odometer and already a rattle in the dash. I decided to lay into it today getting on the freeway and I heard it about 6 grand on the tach. This is what pisses me off about american cars. Shitloads of power, shitty fuel economy - I can deal with that. Build quality? Not so impressive. Especially when I got rid of an Audi for this car. 150, 000 on the OD there and never on rattle or nothing. In fact, when you went over bumps in the Audi it was as smooth and noiseless as the first day I got it. When I test drove the Corvette, first pull out of the car lot was a "thunk - thunk", and I bet only gets worse from there. Dont get me wrong, I love this car, but I long for the solid build quality Audi gives. And I dont mean BMW or Mercedes, I mean Audi. For those who have owned Audi you know what I mean. OK, back to the throttle now....
05SilverStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes, Daytona 955i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,038
So...trade for an Audi?
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
05SilverStreak
 
05SilverStreak's Avatar
 
Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 287
Ya I expected that type of comment. Servvices on Audis are exspensive, but you get what you pay for. All I'm saying is it pissed me off. And dont act like they don have models that would hand us our asses if we raced them on dry pavemant and the Audi was on snow. So when you say......."Trade for an Audi", it says to me you havent owned one. Ill get over this but jeez. Im a guy who says the bad with the good.
05SilverStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
litle88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,337
Well rant elsewhere cause in this section we ONLY CARE ABOUT GOING FASTER and MAKING IT LOUDER!
__________________
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
dekan513
chevy pride
 
dekan513's Avatar
 
Drives: 2ss/rs
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: pikeville ky
Posts: 2,138
heck if it dont rattle somethings wrong or its too slow.
__________________

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
2sscamaro11
 
Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: hamburg pa
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
heck if it dont rattle somethings wrong or its too slow.

AMEN TO THAT!! If you can hear the rattle then your exhaust is not loud enough!
2sscamaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Smirnoff

 
Smirnoff's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Motorcity Dragway
Posts: 974
I stepped on some Audi once:

__________________
11.90's w/headers, CAI, tune, & some high-test (no bling).



Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
I stepped on some Audi once:

Visions of Get him to the Greek with P Diddy rubbing it.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,803
So what was the deal with the dash rattle?
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5
 
Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,302
Luck of the draw man. Mass manufactured cars will always have cheap parts and cars need repairs. Audi is nothing special either, they have their problems just like everyone else. As far as the corvette going clunk.. stiffer rides transfer more noise. Sounds like you want lux. not sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
I stepped on some Audi once:

I agree, get him to the greek makes me want this.. wanna rub all over it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Well rant elsewhere cause in this section we ONLY CARE ABOUT GOING FASTER and MAKING IT LOUDER!
Lol. Too true!
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Kelly@PCMofNC

 
Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Well rant elsewhere cause in this section we ONLY CARE ABOUT GOING FASTER and MAKING IT LOUDER!
This made me burst out laughing for some reason.



Sorry OP, I hope you can find out where it's coming from. That kind of stuff is annoying to me too, but I usually have the radio up and/or can't hear it over my exhaust anyway. Luckily my camaro is still pretty tight!
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Camarojt

 
Camarojt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Allen, Tx
Posts: 2,176
I'd much rather have a modern muscle car that is fast with a rattle IF that is the case, than a RattleLESS car that is slower and without this look. I have no unnecessary rattles so NO PROBLEMO! Just get a good exhaust and Problem Solved!!
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
SPCBA


 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a line somwhere
Posts: 4,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilverStreak View Post
Im gonna rant. 30,000 on the odometer and already a rattle in the dash. I decided to lay into it today getting on the freeway and I heard it about 6 grand on the tach. This is what pisses me off about american cars. Shitloads of power, shitty fuel economy - I can deal with that. Build quality? Not so impressive. Especially when I got rid of an Audi for this car. 150, 000 on the OD there and never on rattle or nothing. In fact, when you went over bumps in the Audi it was as smooth and noiseless as the first day I got it. When I test drove the Corvette, first pull out of the car lot was a "thunk - thunk", and I bet only gets worse from there. Dont get me wrong, I love this car, but I long for the solid build quality Audi gives. And I dont mean BMW or Mercedes, I mean Audi. For those who have owned Audi you know what I mean. OK, back to the throttle now....
did you try to fix it or is it chevys fault that after 30,000 miles a rattle starts? i am sure you only drove on glass smooth streets in 70 degree weather with no potholes and babied the gas and brake at all times.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
caper

 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal, I.E.
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilverStreak View Post
Ya I expected that type of comment. Servvices on Audis are exspensive, but you get what you pay for. All I'm saying is it pissed me off. And dont act like they don have models that would hand us our asses if we raced them on dry pavemant and the Audi was on snow. So when you say......."Trade for an Audi", it says to me you havent owned one. Ill get over this but jeez. Im a guy who says the bad with the good.
im curious which model would hand us our asses?? especially when we are on pavement and they are on snow?? or even both on pavement for aguement sake
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.