Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dynomax Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
DSX_Camaro

 
DSX_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 32765
Posts: 1,218
New user, saying hello / had a thought on the LS7

As the topic says, HELLO! I have been browsing here a while and thought I should finally make an account and communicate. I just recently got a 2013 RS Camaro (2LT) and I am loving every second of it. I also noted that everyone on the forum seem very personable and otherwise friendly, so I am optimistic.

About the LS7 Camaro (if it becomes a reality) why would it be the Z28? It would definitely be a 3SS and 4SS option, complete with possibility of 1LE package. The Z28 will have the LS9... now imagine that machine.
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 5,242
Because the Z/28 is all about track performance. The LS7 puts out great HP without the weight of the supercharger and intercooler. Plus there isn't a heat soak issue.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
clg_98ta


 
clg_98ta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,704
There doesn't seem to be any real logic in how/when/why Chevy resurrects old nomenclature (or if there is, it's masked by inconsistency).

I'd like to see the LS7 as just an optional engine available in the SS, but I doubt that will happen.
__________________
Black 2SS ordered 1/4/2010, received 2/19/2010



clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
There doesn't seem to be any real logic in how/when/why Chevy resurrects old nomenclature (or if there is, it's masked by inconsistency).

I'd like to see the LS7 as just an optional engine available in the SS, but I doubt that will happen.
I'd be fine with an LS7 option as well but if you put in the LS7 the driveline will need upgrading, as well as the brakes. That would definitely be the best way to go as far as affordability but I think the LS7 has too much power and history to not have its own model and the name be something well respected like Z28.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I'd be fine with an LS7 option as well but if you put in the LS7 the driveline will need upgrading, as well as the brakes. That would definitely be the best way to go as far as affordability but I think the LS7 has too much power and history to not have its own model and the name be something well respected like Z28.
I think you nailed it!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
....as much as I have read the tea leaves from internet offerings and alike, I think we will have to wait 'till 2015-2016 when the line changes over to get the name we want. We will get the LS7, albeit expensive and a limited offering in this model. My main concern going forward is what models and engine offerings will be available. A LF3 TT 6, the FI LT1, and a supercharged LT4 will be the big ponies we will run with?
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 5,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....as much as I have read the tea leaves from internet offerings and alike, I think we will have to wait 'till 2015-2016 when the line changes over to get the name we want. We will get the LS7, albeit expensive and a limited offering in this model. My main concern going forward is what models and engine offerings will be available. A LF3 TT 6, the FI LT1, and a supercharged LT4 will be the big ponies we will run with?
I don't know what GM will put under the hood of a 6th gen Z/28. The LT1 is a base engine and doesn't belong, no TT V6, and I don't think a supercharged LT engine would work either. There's a reason the ZL1 was named ZL1 instead of Z/28. I am interested in what will power the C7 Z06. An engine based on that may make its way into the Z/28.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....as much as I have read the tea leaves from internet offerings and alike, I think we will have to wait 'till 2015-2016 when the line changes over to get the name we want. We will get the LS7, albeit expensive and a limited offering in this model. My main concern going forward is what models and engine offerings will be available. A LF3 TT 6, the FI LT1, and a supercharged LT4 will be the big ponies we will run with?
Would you rather have an LS7 fifth gen or a 6th gen Z28? If the 6th gen Z28 is made with an LT1 they could supplement absurd amounts of horsepower with all the tech and aero that the Stingray has to make a supercar comparable to today's ZL1. I personally think they will charge premium prices for an LT1 6th gen and the days of an affordable V-8 are coming to a close. I hope dearly that I'm wrong.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 5,242
I would like to see a 5th gen Z/28 powered by the LS7. I won't be able to afford it due to school but I still hope it's build. It would be an awesome car capable of running with much more expensive cars.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
...you are,..my friend.... The LS7 is part of the LS family, which dies off with the advent of the Gen 5 V8. The LT1 and the LT4, the only two 8 cylinder DI's we know of so far, replace that engine architecture. There are only 5 parts used over from the LS family on the new engine line, mostly fasteners and clips etc... So, it's now or never for the 7.0 L 427 LS7, no news on the horizon for a replacement 7.0 L DI next gen motor., just the the 376 CID DI's. So, we get it in this line, before the change, or never. Scuttlebut says it will come, the VIN card was leaked, for a lack of better words, along with other engine designations for 2014 on another card that was not listed on C5. So, speculation is the LS7 will come, not as a Z/28, but a special edition. I am not trying to fight my way into that line like I did with the 2012 ZL1. I don't have enough juice to be one of the allocations, not by a long shot. Just my o2...
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...you are,..my friend.... The LS7 is part of the LS family, which dies off with the advent of the Gen 5 V8. The LT1 and the LT4, the only two 8 cylinder DI's we know of so far, replace that engine architecture. There are only 5 parts used over from the LS family on the new engine line, mostly fasteners and clips etc... So, it's now or never for the 7.0 L 427 LS7, no news on the horizon for a replacement 7.0 L DI next gen motor., just the the 376 CID DI's. So, we get it in this line, before the change, or never. Scuttlebut says it will come, the VIN card was leaked, for a lack of better words, along with other engine designations for 2014 on another card that was not listed on C5. So, speculation is the LS7 will come, not as a Z/28, but a special edition. I am not trying to fight my way into that line like I did with the 2012 ZL1. I don't have enough juice to be one of the allocations, not by a long shot. Just my o2...
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
Blueclyde

 
Blueclyde's Avatar
 
Drives: What's Next?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,596
I predict this will happen. The 5th gen platform will go out with a bang. The question is if it does happen how many will they make?
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I predict this will happen. The 5th gen platform will go out with a bang. The question is if it does happen how many will they make?
Yeah, and what will be the price? We have a long wait for that answer if recent history has anything to say about it. The car in question hasn't even been announced yet.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 5,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Yeah, and what will be the price? We have a long wait for that answer if recent history has anything to say about it. The car in question hasn't even been announced yet.
I highly doubt GM will let the 5th gen end without some kind of Z/28 Camaro being built. In my opinion, it would be a massive failure. The Z/28 is one of the, if not the most iconic Camaro trims of all time. It may have lost its way over the years but GM the 5th gen is the resurrection and that can't be complete without the Z/28. They never should have waited to bring it out. It should have been built before the ZL1.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.