Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
mrWizard
 
mrWizard's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Deptford, New Jersey
Posts: 52
2010 SS exhaust rattle/baffle

I just hit 19000 miles on my 2010 ss and started to hear a rattle noise coming from the exhaust. I have read around and saw that this could be from exhaust control valves not closing or opening properly or there is an issue with the mufflers and they should be replaced.

The rattle is around 1100-1200 RPM, stops when i get past there. Also, seems to get louder as I drive longer. It can be quite loud and can be heard over the radio at times, very annoying.

So I'm wondering:

1. Is a fuse pull for exhaust control valves even possible for my car (built in 2009)?
2. Will a dealer be able to identify this problem and replace/fix the issue?
3. If it isn't an issue with the exhaust, what else could it be?


Thanks in advance for the feed back.
mrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,667
I had the exact issue on my 2013 (right around 1100-1220 in 2nd), see the below thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272496
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
mrWizard
 
mrWizard's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Deptford, New Jersey
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I had the exact issue on my 2013 (right around 1100-1220 in 2nd), see the below thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272496
Did you ever get your issue resolved?
mrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWizard View Post
Did you ever get your issue resolved?
Yes, after the reprogram the rattle went away. I forgot and never updated the thread but the reprogram did fix the issue, not the clip.


Sent from my 2SS/RS
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,999
.
__________________
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWizard View Post
I just hit 19000 miles on my 2010 ss and started to hear a rattle noise coming from the exhaust. I have read around and saw that this could be from exhaust control valves not closing or opening properly or there is an issue with the mufflers and they should be replaced.

The rattle is around 1100-1200 RPM, stops when i get past there. Also, seems to get louder as I drive longer. It can be quite loud and can be heard over the radio at times, very annoying.

So I'm wondering:

1. Is a fuse pull for exhaust control valves even possible for my car (built in 2009)?
2. Will a dealer be able to identify this problem and replace/fix the issue?
3. If it isn't an issue with the exhaust, what else could it be?


Thanks in advance for the feed back.
mrWizard,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to offer more information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions or assistance locating a technician near you, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis (assisting Brandon)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWizard View Post
I just hit 19000 miles on my 2010 ss and started to hear a rattle noise coming from the exhaust. I have read around and saw that this could be from exhaust control valves not closing or opening properly or there is an issue with the mufflers and they should be replaced.

The rattle is around 1100-1200 RPM, stops when i get past there. Also, seems to get louder as I drive longer. It can be quite loud and can be heard over the radio at times, very annoying.

So I'm wondering:

1. Is a fuse pull for exhaust control valves even possible for my car (built in 2009)?
2. Will a dealer be able to identify this problem and replace/fix the issue?
3. If it isn't an issue with the exhaust, what else could it be?


Thanks in advance for the feed back.
As far as I know there isn't exhaust control valves in the 2010. Most people with early models and exhaust rattling, including my car, found that something had broke loose inside one or both mufflers. If you thump each with a rubber mallet you should hear the rattle. Dealership has replaced them for others but some have had the replacements eventually do the same thing. For this reason I went aftermarket instead.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
mrWizard
 
mrWizard's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Deptford, New Jersey
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
As far as I know there isn't exhaust control valves in the 2010. Most people with early models and exhaust rattling, including my car, found that something had broke loose inside one or both mufflers. If you thump each with a rubber mallet you should hear the rattle. Dealership has replaced them for others but some have had the replacements eventually do the same thing. For this reason I went aftermarket instead.
Yeah that's what I figure would happen. I think I'm just gonna go with the muffler delete.
mrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
matt55

 
matt55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS AMB , mini revo
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
As far as I know there isn't exhaust control valves in the 2010. Most people with early models and exhaust rattling, including my car, found that something had broke loose inside one or both mufflers. If you thump each with a rubber mallet you should hear the rattle. Dealership has replaced them for others but some have had the replacements eventually do the same thing. For this reason I went aftermarket instead.
+1
There is a tsb out on it .
Had mine replaced last year .
__________________
matt55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
mrWizard
 
mrWizard's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Deptford, New Jersey
Posts: 52
Dealer said it was the drivers side muffler. Something is rattling and they are going to replace everything after the resonators. Now I just wait 2 weeks for parts
mrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWizard View Post
Dealer said it was the drivers side muffler. Something is rattling and they are going to replace everything after the resonators. Now I just wait 2 weeks for parts

At least you'll know right away what is wrong, when the new set starts rattling.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
biggerisbetter
lll
 
biggerisbetter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: new orleans
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
At least you'll know right away what is wrong, when the new set starts rattling.

hahahaha
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
mrWizard
 
mrWizard's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Deptford, New Jersey
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
At least you'll know right away what is wrong, when the new set starts rattling.
That's why as soon as the new ones are on, I'm doing a muffler delete haha.
mrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #14
FRSTR90
 
FRSTR90's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, 1973 Corvette
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWizard View Post
Dealer said it was the drivers side muffler. Something is rattling and they are going to replace everything after the resonators. Now I just wait 2 weeks for parts
They should replace the cat-back. Had the same issue. Dealer replaced my whole cat-back under warranty. They claim that the baffles in the resonator blew into the muffler.. IDK how true that is.. All I know is that my annoying rattle at idle and at 1200-1500 RPMs is gone!

Oh, and I was told by my dealership that they had to replace the cat-back as GM designed it as one piece. They told me that they could not just replace the mufflers.

Hope this bit of info helps.. Best of luck!
FRSTR90 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
exhaust control valve, exhaust rattle, npp

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.